Christmas greetings 2021

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

Celtic

Re: Christmas greetings 2021

Post by Celtic »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:59 pm">1 year ago</span>
Did you see I also identified the third location in the 2022 video as Graveney School? (That one was easy from the posters on the wall.)

Finally... For some time I was trying to find the location of Carol of the Bells (2011), but so far I've failed. However, I have made some progress on Libera - O Holy Night (2011). I suspect both were recorded in the same location at some sort of manor house or stately home, but I haven't identified which one, yet. But there is a way to find out...

Manuel Arellano Bover who is these days the conductor for the Siegfried Camerata once played violin in the same location...
Manuel Arellano Bover.jpg
So if you are feeling keen, you could email him to find out, which would give you the location for O Holy Night (2011), and I suspect it might also give you the location for Carol of the Bells (2011).
So, following on from that post, I have identified the venue for Carol of the Bells (2011) and O Holy Night (2011)

I didn't email Manuel, but what I did do was use the clue of chamber music to search further, and after many attempts and varying my search terms I managed to find that the London Handel Players had also played in that venue and someone had helpfully posted a comment on their Facebook post identifying the location.

So the venue for both videos is Stone House, Deptford.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_House,_Deptford

The location for O Holy Night is quite obviously the same.
► Show Spoiler
The location for Carol of the Bells is not 100% confirmed but given that they were filmed at the same time I believe I am correct. Notice also the portico and metal fence in the background do appear to match.
► Show Spoiler
I believe this this is private property, so other than music concerts I don't think you can visit. Although, it has previously been opened to the public during the Open House Festival.

Edit: Found a video of the garden where you can see the Satyr Fountainhead in the corner where Libera filmed.
► Show Spoiler
8)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:27 am">1 year ago</span> So, following on from that post, I have identified the venue for Carol of the Bells (2011) and O Holy Night (2011)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_House,_Deptford
By George, I think he's got it!

Nicely done.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:27 am">1 year ago</span> Did you see I also identified the third location in the 2022 video as Graveney School? (That one was easy from the posters on the wall.)

[...]

So, following on from that post, I have identified the venue for Carol of the Bells (2011) and O Holy Night (2011)
Wow ! Well done :D
I never suspected both videos to have been shot on the same grounds.

Bravo 8)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:27 am">1 year ago</span> So, following on from that post, I have identified the venue for Carol of the Bells (2011) and O Holy Night (2011)
Kudos to you Celtic, this very long mystery has been solved at last, thanks to you :D

I feel both relieved that the answer is finally known, and frustrated that I haven't been able to find it myself despite several hours spent on it over the years.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:37 pm">1 year ago</span>
Kudos to you Celtic, this very long mystery has been solved at last, thanks to you :D

I feel both relieved that the answer is finally known, and frustrated that I haven't been able to find it myself despite several hours spent on it over the years.
This was put in my head some years ago by another fan as an unresolved mystery. It is probably my most watched Libera video, so I also had some personal motivation. I have every now and again spent a few hours trying to find the answer. I started searching for churches, because I thought it was a graveyard and I have looked at so many photos of churches with porticos!

I then realised a couple of years ago that it wasn't a churchyard, but a garden and the thing I initially thought was a tomb was in fact a fountain with the image of a Satyr on it. This didn't help, because there are even more manors and stately homes with porticos!

The breakthrough came courtesy of Libera Passion, just a couple of weeks ago, when while browsing through videos after identifying the 2022 Christmas venue I noticed that O Holy Night featured ionic columns and was recorded in the same year! Then the kudos goes to Google Lens, where after a few false starts one of the sections of images from O Holy Night generated a match to the violinist I mentioned earlier. I very nearly emailed him...

But then I tried again, on image searches, convinced this would be a known venue for Chamber music in London, and it was! A lot of hours have gone into this over the years, but I love a puzzle! :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Bravo for your persistence and your imagination.

I had also tried several times google images reverse search and google lens, but without conclusive results.
I'm glad to learn that by insisting and trying different portions of an image, a positive result may be found.

I searched for an aerial view of the garden but failed.
It seems that Bing maps removed the plane aerial views they had over London... too bad.

I searched for the staircase that appears a few times in the video and found this photo having the same angle of view from above.
► Show Spoiler
More photos of the Stone House here.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:28 pm">1 year ago</span> Bravo for your persistence and your imagination.

I had also tried several times google images reverse search and google lens, but without conclusive results.
I'm glad to learn that by insisting and trying different portions of an image, a positive result may be found.

I searched for an aerial view of the garden but failed.
It seems that Bing maps removed the plane aerial views they had over London... too bad.

I searched for the staircase that appears a few times in the video and found this photo having the same angle of view from above.
Google lens is quite good, but obviously not perfect. My final search term that led to an image that I could identify was "piano trio manor house" this then gave me a new lead with the London Handel Players (who are not a piano trio!!), which gave me the location. Once I knew the name of the location I found many photos of that green marble room which Google Lens never found...

The area they recorded in for Carol of the Bells is under a large tree, so you are unlikely to get a good aerial/satellite view. I might try and keep half an eye open for future chamber music events there, as that is likely to be the only chance to visit. The staircase is central to the building, and the green marble room is the one with the portico outside, which if you are looking down is on the West side of the building.
stonehouse1.jpg
stonehouse1.jpg (83.74 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
stonehouse1.jpg
stonehouse1.jpg (83.74 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
Edit: That image you found is from The Bear a filmed opera by the Opera Holland Park which of course have hosted many Libera boys in roles...

'tis a small world.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yes, I located the large tree, and sadly could not find any photo taken form that corner you point.
Anyway it is for sure the correct filming place for COTB 2011, and you were very clever to find the connection with O Holy Night.

Edit : I found a way to access to the former aerial views used by Bing maps.
Even though there are views where the large tree is leafless, the photo remains distant and blurry.
It does not add much to the corner where COTB was shot.
The video that you found, filmed from the garden, is much more useful.
► Show Spoiler