Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 1:38 am">1 year ago</span> The most important part of the interview:

"You'll also hear a couple of new tracks actually, some thing we're working on for a new record. Certain things that are yet unheard. In fact, a couple of them actually were started by Robert as kind of sketches and I've finished them off, and we're going to perform a couple of those this Saturday too." :D :D :D

NEW SONGS!

And of course here is the portion of the interview featuring Sam Coates and Libera.

Thanks a lot Jimmy and Surpinto :)
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 1:38 am">1 year ago</span> The most important part of the interview:

"You'll also hear a couple of new tracks actually, some thing we're working on for a new record. Certain things that are yet unheard. In fact, a couple of them actually were started by Robert as kind of sketches and I've finished them off, and we're going to perform a couple of those this Saturday too." :D :D :D

NEW SONGS!

And of course here is the portion of the interview featuring Sam Coates and Libera.

Yes, I knew it! I'm also happy to hear that Robert sketched out some songs that weren't yet in their completed form. Of course, I don't know if that means the album will come out this year, but at least there's a decent possibility.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

NEW SONGS!
Saint-Saens - Bacchanale from Samson and Dalila
Beethoven - 9th Symphony
Vivaldi - Nisi Dominus
Schubert - Ave Maria

Probably Bacchanale and Nisi Dominus.

I'm still wondering how the 9th Symphony is going to work.
justin

Post by justin »

justin wrote: <span title="Mon May 09, 2022 12:07 pm">1 year ago</span> I have 2 extra tickets, 1 adult and 1 child (child can be upgraded to adult for a small fee), for the upcoming Ely concert. Seating position is in the front few rows. Do contact me if interested.
The two tickets have been changed to 2 ADULT tickets, in the first 4 rows. Do let me know if interested. No $ required.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 4:57 am">1 year ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 1:38 am">1 year ago</span> [...] NEW SONGS!
Beethoven - 9th Symphony
Vivaldi - Nisi Dominus
Schubert - Ave Maria

I don't share your supposition for the new songs :wink:
In fact, I don't agree with the whole 4 songs mentioned by the Ely Cathedral site.

When listening to Bacchanale on Youtube, it does not seem to me it matches with a libera style.
I doubt anything related to Bacchanale or adapted from it will be performed Saturday.

Nisi Dominus refers to 'Cum Dederit' and it barely can be said as 'new' as it was already performed on stage. It was at the St John SS concert last December.
More important, Dominik's voice lowered significantly since December (heard him 2 weeks ago) and I doubt the song will be performed Saturday.

Schubert - Ave Maria : This does not seem possible for me.
I agree it is likely that an Ave Maria will be performed Saturday, but it will Prizeman's version, not Schubert.
And the soloist is likely to be Lewis, as he performed it not later than December at the St John SS concert.

There is no mystery about how the Beethoven's 9th Symphony would work.
It refers to the song 'Joyful Joyful', which has been performed tens of times in the recent years.
Will it be performed Saturday ? Perhaps... but with the 3 other songs being not credible to me, I doubt this reference to be credible as well.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 6:54 pm">1 year ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 4:57 am">1 year ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 1:38 am">1 year ago</span> [...] NEW SONGS!
Beethoven - 9th Symphony
Vivaldi - Nisi Dominus
Schubert - Ave Maria

I don't share your supposition for the new songs :wink:
In fact, I don't agree with the whole 4 songs mentioned by the Ely Cathedral site.

When listening to Bacchanale on Youtube, it does not seem to me it matches with a libera style.
I doubt anything related to Bacchanale or adapted from it will be performed Saturday.

Nisi Dominus refers to 'Cum Dederit' and it barely can be said as 'new' as it was already performed on stage. It was at the St John SS concert last December.
More important, Dominik's voice lowered significantly since December (heard him 2 weeks ago) and I doubt the song will be performed Saturday.

Schubert - Ave Maria : This does not seem possible for me.
I agree it is likely that an Ave Maria will be performed Saturday, but it will Prizeman's version, not Schubert.
And the soloist is likely to be Lewis, as he performed it not later than December at the St John SS concert.

There is no mystery about how the Beethoven's 9th Symphony would work.
It refers to the song 'Joyful Joyful', which has been performed tens of times in the recent years.
Will it be performed Saturday ? Perhaps... but with the 3 other songs being not credible to me, I doubt this reference to be credible as well.
Well, I certainly agree about the Beethoven referring to "Joyful, Joyful" and the Nisi Dominus referring to "Cum Dederit". As for the Bacchanale, it would seem like an unusual choice for Libera, but in the post-Prizeman era I'm ready to be surprised. While Dominik's voice has changed, I wouldn't rule out either Daniel or Luca singing that one. Luca might be able to pull off the Schubert "Ave Maria", although an emerging soloist could surprise everyone at the concert.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

The more I listen the Bacchanale, the more i'm confused. It doesn't seem suitable for a sacred piece or a profane one that libera usually sings. Since I'm sure you will attend the concert, please solve the mistery as soon as you can :lol: . I wonder who could sing Cum Dederit , it's a difficult piece and not many boys are able to sing it properly.
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Tue May 17, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixed quote tags)
The heaven soars with voices above...
Celt

Post by Celt »

My bet is on Daniel Catalogna to have a big solo. :) (More of a wish and a hope than a bet.) But no idea what pieces he is capable of singing.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 8:30 pm">1 year ago</span> My bet is on Daniel Catalogna to have a big solo. :) (More of a wish and a hope than a bet.) But no idea what pieces he is capable of singing.
I saw pictures of Nathan front and center at the memorial, which is nice because he wasn't at SJSS. He might be in the mix.

The domestic circuit is where they usually try out new soloists, but since this seems to be the only scheduled concert before Christmas, they'll probably go with the remaining big guns: Victor (still a treble?), Daniel W. and Luca; with hopefully more from Daniel C., Freddie, Joseph, Luke, Lewis, and Morgan.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed May 18, 2022 2:27 am">1 year ago</span>
Celt wrote: <span title="Tue May 17, 2022 8:30 pm">1 year ago</span> My bet is on Daniel Catalogna to have a big solo. :) (More of a wish and a hope than a bet.) But no idea what pieces he is capable of singing.
I saw pictures of Nathan front and center at the memorial, which is nice because he wasn't at SJSS. He might be in the mix.

The domestic circuit is where they usually try out new soloists, but since this seems to be the only scheduled concert before Christmas, they'll probably go with the remaining big guns: Victor (still a treble?), Daniel W. and Luca; with hopefully more from Daniel C., Freddie, Joseph, Luke, Lewis, and Morgan.
This might be the only one before the possible summer tour, but I wonder if we might get another concert in the autumn? Especially if there is a new album on the way. But perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

Starting to get excited for the concert on Saturday! 8)

Freddie is a definite possibility for more solo parts given that he has sung solo parts in Handel's Messiah, Bach's St John Passion and Mozart's Requiem over the last 6 months... (and sung them well!)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Wed May 18, 2022 8:23 am">1 year ago</span> This might be the only one before the possible summer tour, but I wonder if we might get another concert in the autumn? Especially if there is a new album on the way. But perhaps that's just wishful thinking.
We've been assuming there'll be a summer overseas tour and we've seen the strange announcement from Korea about a concert there, but it's late spring and there's been no official word about anything this summer. Now I'm starting to wonder if that Libera tribute choir from Japan is the one that'll be going to Korea. :wink: :lol:
Celt

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed May 18, 2022 9:07 am">1 year ago</span>
Celt wrote: <span title="Wed May 18, 2022 8:23 am">1 year ago</span> This might be the only one before the possible summer tour, but I wonder if we might get another concert in the autumn? Especially if there is a new album on the way. But perhaps that's just wishful thinking.
We've been assuming there'll be a summer overseas tour and we've seen the strange announcement from Korea about a concert there, but it's awfully late in the spring and there's been no official announcement about anything this summer. Now I'm starting to wonder if that Libera tribute choir from Japan is the one that'll be going to Korea. :wink: :lol:
:roll: Oh dear, then I wish the audience good luck. :lol:

It is possible the summer tour might not happen, but given that Sam Coates said in the interview they are hoping to return soon, they are presumably at least aiming for it. I have no idea what the covid situation and restrictions are like over in Korea? All restrictions have been lifted in England, so I forget that other countries still have rules in place... having to wear a mask most of the time in Barcelona at the end of March was so weird again. :?

If the tour gets pushed back to the autumn, perhaps the chances of a pre-tour concert in the UK would be higher?

Much as I loved the Xmas SJSS concerts, it will be so great to hear a non-Xmas aligned concert in Ely for the first time since Arundel 2019!
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Well, I don't know what song will be on the setlist, or who is going to be a soloist (though it looks like Daniel W, Freddie, Luca, Daniel C, and Nathan are obvious choices, and I hope Lewis, Cameron and Joseph will get to shine too - I agree Luca could perform Schubert's Ave Maria).
But I sure hope you will share precise and exhaustive reviews of the concert :lol: I feel like I am going to miss a big one... first non-Christmas one since the pandemic. Enjoy !

I would like to think there will be an autumn concert, otherwise the next one will be... Christmas again. I love Christmas with Libera, but I am so eager to attend a full concert with other songs :D I don't expect a new album this year, maybe next year would be more realistic ? They still need to be back to tours, that seems like the main thing right now.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Surprisingly, the Ely cathedral site has already removed the concert from its events page.
We are still on Friday 20 May and the concert is tomorrow.
I can understand that not enough time remains to mail the tickets to a buyer, but they could have kept the sale page reachable for the e-tickets buyers.

Last time I checked the page, 1 or 2 days ago, 538 seats were booked, on a total of 692 seats visible on the map.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Fri May 20, 2022 10:41 pm">1 year ago</span> Surprisingly, the Ely cathedral site has already removed the concert from its events page.
Well, I hope it's because they either sold out or allocated the remaining tickets to their patronage. After two long and disappointing years, those boys deserve to perform in front of a packed house. I'd be heartbroken to hear that nearly a quarter of the seats were empty.