Luca Brugnoli

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Luca Brugnoli

Post by Surpinto »

I don't think it means anything aside from his wishing the others good luck. :wink: If he were competing I think his parents would have publicized that fact as it would be a significant selling point to his crowdfunder.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 am">1 year ago</span> I don't think it means anything aside from his wishing the others good luck. :wink: If he were competing I think his parents would have publicized that fact as it would be a significant selling point to his crowdfunder.
I would be inclined to agree, except that when someone wondered if he was one of those chosen, he gave a reply which neither confirmed or denied it (using a 'thinking face' emoji). So, I don't know what to think.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:16 am">1 year ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 am">1 year ago</span> I don't think it means anything aside from his wishing the others good luck. :wink: If he were competing I think his parents would have publicized that fact as it would be a significant selling point to his crowdfunder.
I would be inclined to agree, except that when someone wondered if he was one of those chosen, he gave a reply which neither confirmed or denied it (using a 'thinking face' emoji). So, I don't know what to think.
Yes, that changes the situation markedly. 🤔
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:34 am">1 year ago</span>Yes, that changes the situation markedly. 🤔
At first I though the smiley was a reaction to a foolish question and didn't paid more attention to it.

I read the competition rules on the BBC site (here) and there is something interesting. There is indeed a step of the competition that occurs in July.

Entries were to be sent between end of May and the 4th of July, then the jury made a first selection of 20 (girls and boys) then a second selection on 10, which are the semi-finalists.

Article 18 says "Those invited to take part in the semi-finals and final will be informed in July."

Luca's tweet is most likely following that information.
Was he selected or not ?
We probably have to wait a couple of months to know more, as article 18 says "The semi-finals and final will be filmed in the autumn.
I don't know when the broadcast is scheduled.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Given Rob Lewis' involvement with Luca I think there is a good possibility he applied. After all, Cai Thomas was a finalist in the competition in 2019 with Rob as his music director.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if he actually got further.

Edit: Cai in the final - It was still on Radio only in 2019.
► Show Spoiler
Edit2 : As mentioned in Cai's thread, the Suo-Gân he is singing here is arranged by Robert Prizeman. Cai's bit starts at 11.10 if you want to hear it.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Fingers crossed Luca might be involved in the competition. I recall last year the final stages was broadcast around late December...some Carols were chosen for the soloists. I always try to tune watch if I can. Cormac Thompson was featured last year.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 am">1 year ago</span> If he were competing I think his parents would have publicized that fact as it would be a significant selling point to his crowdfunder.
No, they probably wouldn't, because they have to sign agreements about the participation which means they are not allowed to reveal much information. By coincidence I actually chatted to the parents of both Cai and Cormac at concerts in between the dates their respective programmes were recorded and broadcast and both sets were equally as tight lipped. You are not allowed to reveal much information at all. For instance, Sebastian Carrington said absolutely nothing about his second appearance on the show, it was only when he appeared in the BBC promo images that he finally posted about it. So, don't be surprised if Luca is in it, but doesn't say anything.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Well, I hope he has has applied and gets to the final - after that it's in the hands of the judges and to be honest from the last few years I don't have much faith in them! The BBC has of course ruined the whole thing by uping the maximum age to 16 and allowing boys with changed voices to enter as very rough and underdeveloped Countertenors. Just awful.

Of course, Luca will not be the first member of St Philips Choir to enter the competition and let's hope he gets as far as Andrew Hopkins, the 1981 winner.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:22 am">1 year ago</span> Well, I hope has has applied and gets to the final - after that it's in the hands of the judges and to be honest from the last few years I don't have much faith in them! The BBC has of course ruined the whole thing by uping the maximum age to 16 and allowing boy with changed voices to enter as very rough and underdeveloped Countertenors. Just awful.

Of course, Luca will not be the first member of St Philips Choir to enter the competition and let's hope he gets as far as Andrew Hopkins, the 1981 winner.
I also think they should have retained the format where one girl chorister and one boy chorister are awarded separate chorister of the year awards. Looking at the rules, another one that I think is silly is demanding that one of the two pieces submitted by entrants has to be a Christmas piece. I know they can change what they sing if they reach the semifinal, but it gives them the impression that they will do better if they sing a "crowdpleaser".
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:19 am">1 year ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 am">1 year ago</span> If he were competing I think his parents would have publicized that fact as it would be a significant selling point to his crowdfunder.
No, they probably wouldn't, because they have to sign agreements about the participation which means they are not allowed to reveal much information. By coincidence I actually chatted to the parents of both Cai and Cormac at concerts in between the dates their respective programmes were recorded and broadcast and both sets were equally as tight lipped. You are not allowed to reveal much information at all. For instance, Sebastian Carrington said absolutely nothing about his second appearance on the show, it was only when he appeared in the BBC promo images that he finally posted about it. So, don't be surprised if Luca is in it, but doesn't say anything.
Point taken!
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:22 am">1 year ago</span> Well, I hope has has applied and gets to the final - after that it's in the hands of the judges and to be honest from the last few years I don't have much faith in them! The BBC has of course ruined the whole think by uping the maximum age to 16 and allowing boy with changed voices to enter as very rough and underdeveloped Countertenors. Just awful.
It's ridiculous!
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:22 am">1 year ago</span> Of course, Luca will not be the first member of St Philips Choir to enter the competition and let's hope he gets as far as Andrew Hopkins, the 1981 winner.
I didn't know that! :shock: If Luca were a contestant, would he be the first representing the choir since 1981?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:48 pm">1 year ago</span>
I didn't know that! :shock: If Luca were a contestant, would he be the first representing the choir since 1981?
No, I think they had another finalist in 1983 but he came third. Check out the absolutely fantastic Libera history by Amie, I'm sure I read it in there.

Others may have applied and not made the final of course.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Got it, thanks. I had read Amy's timeline in the past but there are so many facts I can't remember them all at once.

Very cool! Still he'd be the first in roughly 40 years to represent them if he were a contestant.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, we know three of the songs for his crowdfunder recording. What I like is that none of them are pieces where you could say, "Of course he's singing that because he's a boy soprano". I'm not saying he can't do any songs that are frequently done by boy sopranos, but it's nice to see that he's forging his own path.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

The crowdfunding is now live!

The heaven soars with voices above...