Luca Brugnoli

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: Luca Brugnoli

Post by bachmahlerfan »

His official site has finally become a fully functioning website. His Patreon page has been discontinued, but you can now donate through his website with PayPal, or just with a card using the PayPal service.

https://lucabrugnoli.co.uk/
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Fri May 05, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Hi everyone ! :D
Have you received your copy of Luca’s album ? I have not read any reviews so far…

I thought I should share a few words if some of you hesitate to purchase it. And since Luca is asking for reviews himself.

This is truly a great album, and I do not have any regrets, it was well worth sponsoring Luca and it is a treasure album.

I already listened to Rise Up before, but I find this record even better and precise. Same for Vincent, I did not know the song before Luca choose to sing it, and I like it very much. Lorenc’s Ave Maria is still one of my favorites, ever since he performed it for the BCC Young Chorister contest. It shows his talent.

Then, there are some songs I did not know what to expect about, like “O Quam Tristis”, which is definitely one of my favorite, calming and enthralling at the same time. The Rose is a soothing one. And The glitt’ring sun is fantastic it shows a side of Luca’s voice I do not remember hearing before.

I am really glad to hear his voice and famous pieces like “Be still for the presence of the Lord” or “The Lord bless you and keep you”, as well as “Ave Verum Corpus”, which I always found annoying when choirs sing it, but I really like this solo version.

I couldn’t name a better interpretation of “Pie Jesu” and “Panis Angelicus” than the ones on the album. Luca working along with Alice Platten which was my favorite girl candidate of the BCC contest is a great idea, their voices fit together and they make something special of these very well known pieces.

I feel like Lift the wings, Irish blessing and Fields of Gold will need more listening to grow on me, since I still can not hum the songs, but they are good ones. Both sides now is different, to me it feels like it does not suit Luca’s voice so well ? I do not know, maybe in a few weeks it will be my favorite, you never know ! It is one that surprises me, to be sure.

And there is Litany to the Holy Spirit, which is good but just not my style. :mrgreen:

All in all, I would advise to purchase the album and listen to it at least once a week. It is fantastic. I would love to hear Luca perform one of his concerts live ! :D
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, I finally got my CD in the mail today, May 2nd. Some of my initial thoughts: "Rise Up" and "Vincent" came out really good not surprisingly. He managed to keep his voice sufficiently steady and relaxed in "Pie Jesu", which made it sound quite good. "Both sides now" may be the most intriguing and unexpected track on the album. I'm not sure if I like everything about how the arrangement plays out (too high perhaps?), but there are enough good things about it to make me want to listen to it more times. "The glitt'ring sun" was good for the most part, except for those two runs where he breathes too much. Personally, I think Arne is a mediocre composer, but the English sure like recording him. I thought his voice sounded significantly better on this recording of "Lift the Wings" compared to the initial Kickstarter recording which sounded less steady and a bit strident at times. I still think it could've been set in a lower key, however. I enjoyed "O Quam Tristis" and felt that it expressed quite a range of emotions. The harmonies take a couple of surprising turns in this song. You could argue that the instruments steal the show on this track, although Luca certainly sings it well. Finally, I thought both "Ave Verum Corpus" and "The Rose" are examples of how restraint can be a good thing when it comes to singing and with the instrumentalists as well.
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Fri May 12, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I will mention something that annoyed me on one particular track, the Lorenc "Ave Maria". I thought the instruments were overpowering at times, especially the soprano saxophone. I suspect this may have prompted Luca to oversing some notes.
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Thanks for the review. 👍🏼

I’ve only heard two tracks so far I think but wow, Luca sounds so vocally accomplished, nuanced, and confident vocally.
His rendition of Rise up is absolutely stunning, and Fields of Gold is just gorgeous and draws you in.

Pre-ordered mine and can’t wait to kick back and relax and enjoy the whole of the album!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon May 08, 2023 8:25 am">11 months ago</span> I will mention something that annoyed me on one particular track, the Lorenc "Ave Maria". I thought the instruments were overpowering at times, especially the soprano saxophone. I suspect this may have prompted Luca to oversing some notes.
And that orange sweater in "Fields..." talk about loud!
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Tune in for those who can. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001lyy4
Radio 4's not normally on my listen to list but it will be later on. :wink:
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

"Rise Up" is now available on all major streaming platforms.

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'm wondering who wrote this original song. Is it by him, or did someone else write it for him?

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2023 2:30 am">11 months ago</span> I'm wondering who wrote this original song. Is it by him, or did someone else write it for him?
Singing is one thing, composing is another. If Luca really did write an original piece that would be on a whole other level in my opinion.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

A little behind the scenes footage provided by Auriens Chelsea.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:03 pm">10 months ago</span>

Oh wow! Nice find. :D

Luca mentioned on social media that he does not intend to re-enter the BBC Chorister of the Year competition. This is a real shame but I understand his reasoning. :cry:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:20 pm">10 months ago</span>
JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:03 pm">10 months ago</span>

Oh wow! Nice find. :D

Luca mentioned on social media that he does not intend to re-enter the BBC Chorister of the Year competition. This is a real shame but I understand his reasoning. :cry:
I certainly agree with his decision, considering the opportunities he was given as a runner-up and having recorded his own album as well. Also, it's clear to me that he does not want to be a Classical musician. So, the chorister competition is somewhat irrelevant to his current trajectory as a musician.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Since is 13 now we don't even know what will happen in the next months. I think it's better for him to have short-terms plans and see what happens. And yes, it seems to be more focused on non classical songs now, so voice aside, a choiristers competion is not what he really wants now.
The heaven soars with voices above...