RIP Robert Prizeman

What goes on in the World of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: RIP Robert Prizeman

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm hoping that Steven ( and Sam?) are able to keep Libera going on. What greater tribute could Robert receive?
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

This was posted online by a fan and I thought it was beautiful and very moving.💖
Attachments
3AF82EAA-C121-4233-91B1-5C5711965EFD.jpeg
3AF82EAA-C121-4233-91B1-5C5711965EFD.jpeg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
3AF82EAA-C121-4233-91B1-5C5711965EFD.jpeg
3AF82EAA-C121-4233-91B1-5C5711965EFD.jpeg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:42 pm">2 years ago</span> Well said, Jimmy, about that empty feeling.
To me it is like a loss of innocence. Until this week, Libera represented a kind of safe world, where death did not exist. This sounds naive, and in fact, we also remember the loss of Steven Philipp. But somehow, the choir itself and the music, always felt like a refuge from the harsh realities of life - even though the songs often deal with those realities (Rest in Peace, Love and Mercy, We are the Lost, Do Not Stand etc).
When the news of Robert’s death came on Monday, it felt like a shock that death in a real sense had entered Libera’s world.
Somehow the choir will never be the same again. Perhaps it will ‘feel’ more mature from now on (if that makes sense). It’s how grief can work. Going on with life, but changed.

For this particular, current generation of Libera boys, Robert’s passing will mark their career in music and growth into adulthood. May it deepen their understanding of life to enrich their creative endeavours.
You said everything I was feeling but was unable to express. Thank you.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Moving tribute by Aled Jones on his Sunday morning Classic FM show
"he understood boys voices better than anyone in the world'
He dedicated the weekly 'Choral Classic' to Robert Prizeman by playing 'Once an Angel'

https://www.globalplayer.com/catchup/cl ... k/46wcA44/ at approx. 1hr 27
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.05.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.05.31 PM.png (647.81 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.05.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.05.31 PM.png (647.81 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.06.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.06.29 PM.png (645.82 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.06.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.06.29 PM.png (645.82 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.06.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.06.57 PM.png (896.59 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.06.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.06.57 PM.png (896.59 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Obituary in Today's Telegraph https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... gs-praise/
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

A really good obit! Thanks for sharing it.
swalker2001
Site Admin

Post by swalker2001 »

This is from Liam O'Kane. I had the dubious distinction of being the one to break the news about Mr. Prizeman's passing to him. I asked him for his thoughts for a blog post I'm working on about R.P. and after taking a few days to gather them, he hit me back this morning with the following.

I was truly heartbroken to hear of Rob's passing. Rob's presence, influence and encouragement throughout my time in the choir and beyond have shaped the person I am and I am so grateful to have been fortunate enough to have had him as part of my life.

Rob gave me opportunities and experiences I would have never dreamt of, things that I look back on now and still can't believe I was lucky enough to do. He was a significant role model to me, during my years at the choir and after, I speak about him more that I could say to the young people I am privileged to work with.

Rob allowed me and the other boys to be exactly who we were, he gave us freedom to express ourselves, to be silly and to have fun, and he would join in. Even as a man in my 30's when I wrote to Rob I would address him as GH and sign off as boar (if you know then you know).

He helped us to embrace our passions and often influenced the things we fell in love with. To this day I feel this in regards to the music I listen to, the films I watch and the books I read. I am so lucky to have had Rob in my life and I know the words I've just written will be echoed by so many men and boys who sang in the choir over the years.

Although I was devastated to hear the news, I felt so blessed to have known him and that my last message to him was just to tell him how important he had been in my life and how grateful I was for all he had done for me. I loved him very much and I will miss him.
====
"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing."
--JM Barrie, Peter Pan
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

swalker2001 wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:45 pm">2 years ago</span> Image
This is from Liam O'Kane. I had the dubious distinction of being the one to break the news about Mr. Prizeman's passing to him. I asked him for his thoughts for a blog post I'm working on about R.P. and after taking a few days to gather them, he hit me back this morning with the following.

I was truly heartbroken to hear of Rob's passing. Rob's presence, influence and encouragement throughout my time in the choir and beyond have shaped the person I am and I am so grateful to have been fortunate enough to have had him as part of my life.

Rob gave me opportunities and experiences I would have never dreamt of, things that I look back on now and still can't believe I was lucky enough to do. He was a significant role model to me, during my years at the choir and after, I speak about him more that I could say to the young people I am privileged to work with.

Rob allowed me and the other boys to be exactly who we were, he gave us freedom to express ourselves, to be silly and to have fun, and he would join in. Even as a man in my 30's when I wrote to Rob I would address him as GH and sign off as boar (if you know then you know).

He helped us to embrace our passions and often influenced the things we fell in love with. To this day I feel this in regards to the music I listen to, the films I watch and the books I read. I am so lucky to have had Rob in my life and I know the words I've just written will be echoed by so many men and boys who sang in the choir over the years.

Although I was devastated to hear the news, I felt so blessed to have known him and that my last message to him was just to tell him how important he had been in my life and how grateful I was for all he had done for me. I loved him very much and I will miss him.
That's very moving, I'm tearing up here again!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Agreed - You'd have to have a heart of stone for that tribute not to move you. Thanks for sharing Steve.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

There could be a mention of Robert Prizeman on next Sundays Songs of Praise 60th Anniversary special.... https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/ ... elebration
Between takes, there was a round of applause “to heaven” for the late Robert Prizeman ARSCM, who had died the week before.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

It would be nice if they could follow that up with a retrospective program sometime in the future.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

A Tribute from Ben Philipp posted on instagram
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 10.02.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 10.02.54 AM.png (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3742 times
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 10.02.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 10.02.54 AM.png (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3742 times
swalker2001
Site Admin

Post by swalker2001 »

Thought I would share a blog post I wrote about Mr. Prizeman.

http://stephenwalker.net/rest-in-peace-robert-prizeman/
====
"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing."
--JM Barrie, Peter Pan
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

swalker2001 wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:51 pm">2 years ago</span> Thought I would share a blog post I wrote about Mr. Prizeman.

http://stephenwalker.net/rest-in-peace-robert-prizeman/
Thanks for sharing your blog post, Steve - what a wonderful homage I would have missed otherwise!
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

An excellent tribute swalker2001!