RIP Robert Prizeman

What goes on in the World of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Robert Prizeman has passed away

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 pm">2 years ago</span> I'm in shock.

Either directly or through his music, this is a man who touched countless hearts and lives. While I am still fairly speechless about it, what brought the first tear to my eye was this image which was publicly posted by Luca's mother. I think everyone should see it.

RIP Robert.
I'm certain that Robert was already proud of Luca and every one of the boys that are, and have been, a part of his Libera legacy.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

Such sad news, he wasn't even 70.

Thank you Robert for all the memories of wonderful Libera concerts over the years. I haven't seen them for a few years now but was hoping, and am still hoping, to catch them this December. I have no idea now whether the choir will carry on as before, but I hope they do.

Godspeed Robert, I hope you are with another friend of mine that passed away this year well before his time.
"You are not alone"
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Just found out. Can’t believe it.
Absolutely devastating news.

Sincere condolences to all of Robert’s loved ones, friends, associates and everyone past and present who’s been involved with Libera.

RIP Robert Prizeman, you absolute GENIUS of a man. Know you’ll be sharing harmonies with the Angels now.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

This is very sad. It was probably the worst that we could have feared.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Learning of Robert’s passing made me reflect on his legacy as Libera’s founder and musical director.

Libera has been part of my world for nearly a quarter of my life now, They are the soundtrack to my journey of faith, and listening to them is often like praying. Their music is connected to phases of deep grief as well as times of great joy.

Libera literally helped to open up the world to me. There is a treasure trove of experiences thanks to their concerts and tours – global travels, international encounters and cultural exchanges. From crowding in the tiny hallway (and sheltering from the pouring rain!) at the entrance of the church in Brighton, all the way to the meet and greet at Garden Grove, under a starry summer night sky.

Their music caused goosebumps, tears and heaps of huge smiles on my face, mouthing along to the words. Words that I now feel come so fragmented, inadequate, to express the richness of Robert’s legacy with Libera.

Whenever I witnessed his directing skills, I could tell he was a great mentor. Being ‘one of the boys’, encouraging them on, allowing them to flourish. Really inspiring in my own work with children.

Thank you so much for everything, Robert. I wish we could have met at another concert. Rest in peace.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

A truly sad loss, he will be remembered in his music for many years to come.

Robert_Prizeman.jpg
Robert_Prizeman.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Robert_Prizeman.jpg
Robert_Prizeman.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Cainmac

Post by Cainmac »

"Thank you for believing in me," Luca's mother publicly posted. How many boys, over the years, have been able to say that thanks to the life and legacy of this man. "Sir" Robert Prizeman, may you be remembered as not only a gifted musician and created genius, may you be remembered as a minister of youth. One who loved and believed his choristers with all his heart. That legacy will carry on as Libera for years to come. "And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But, the greatest of these is love." First Corinthians 13 verse 13.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

RIP Robert Prizeman

My condolences to the family, friends and everyone involved in Libera.
Thank you for the beautiful music you have given to this world.

"Now the 'other' Angels can enjoy your musical genius"

Last edited by seraphita on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: RIP Robert Prizeman

Post by filiarheni »

​Still feeling like paralysed over here and yet my mind has been busy with ​it all the time. Robert is not alive anymore​. I can't believe it. This will be long, I apologise, but the thoughts are just so many.

I'm heartbroken in a way I can hardly understand myself​. ​The main thing that causes that feeling is that he and the choir were a unity for me​ so that I can't think of the one without thinking of the other one, and that my life took a decisive, beautiful turn due to them​. Now there he goes, leaving a gap and ​such big footprints. And even ​though he obviously wished ​them to be filled smoothly and even if that happens as eas​​ily as only possible, he will ​painfully be missing​!​

I admired ​Robert from the first moment​ I heard Libera and started to explore them​. It was immediately clear that he is an enormously ​notable personality. Dedicating his life to setting the spark of music into young people, the heartfelt care ​they received from him, ​how sensitively and smartly he dealt with them, how he created and fostered ​​this ​​"baby" Libera of h​is we love so much, ​​and then of course he himself: an ​ingenious composer, a brilliant arranger, a musician through and through, who brought and brings so much peacefulness and sunshine into my life.

​Several times​ I heard​ from others that Libera was a life saver for them. Regarding myself, I wouldn't go as far ​as that, but they have definitely been a life changer, horizon broadener​ for me​. After all, ​Robert's music opened the door in plenty of various aspects including a number of new, precious friendships. I never dreamt ​something like this would happen and I'll never forget how it all began, when Libera's music broke into my life all of a sudden. I heard my first Libera ... not songs, but measures were already enough: From one moment to the next I ​knew that I had musically come home​, and I've been making and listening to all kinds of music all my life​. ​But this ... ​Suddenly there was an incredible treasure just lying there before me and the feeling that ​it existed and would stay was beyond words! And there is that very Robert, who preferred to act in the background and leave all success to ​the choir, to give thanks to for all of that​, ​from the bottom of my soul.

In his commitment and joy through working with young people, visible in his infectious smile for example, Robert has repeatedly reminded me of the orchestra conductor I experienced myself from 8 years old over two decades. He worked with children with all his heart, humour, comprehension, too, just like Robert​. That's why ​​it has been an immense joy for me to find this again in Libera! Such unique guidance ​​​defines a music group who then​ can​ very much ​identify with the conductor, and you hear and see that not only in the musical result. So I have a slight idea what ​Robert's death may mean now ​at least for the older boys and former members. The gift to have someone like him ​​accompany children is invaluable! It remains forever with you, no matter what. From maintaining music as an important part of your life over making it your profession until just the development of your personality benefitting from it without going on with music, while the big and small wonderful memories will make you smile all your life - tell me if there's anything better you can do to a child.

He had a fantastic way with the boys. I think it was also a merit from starting as a choir leader so early (wasn't ​he 18 only?), when he still was very near to the choristers in age. And this understanding​ seems to have never got lost. He knew how to wake enthusiasm in them, and the said dedication was returned by the Libera boys with the same dedication. Most of the members he recruited remained until their voice break or longer, so many of the former members obviously still feel connected with Libera. What a wonderful reward for Robert and so well deserved!

It will take time for me to actually measure the loss. ​The boys, what may they feel ​right now? I assume that they were being prepared in some way​ and hope that they'll be able to cope with it well and get all support they need. This is not the time​ and the place​ to speculate about the far future, but despite this sad situation I am happy that Robert with wise foresight took care in time for Libera to continue, and this by former members who are certainly the most promising to ​carry on Libera's spirit in Robert's spirit.

What ​actually ​made me glad ​within this sorrowful news was the information that he passed away peacefully. This thought is a ​true comfort.

Dear Robert, I never had the opportunity to speak with you extendedly beyond a short greeting, while I had plenty of burning questions about your music and your work with Libera, ​​hoping to get such an occasion only once in my life. Now you went away and my questions remain unreplied. But you are not separable from Libera and will never be, whenever I listen to Libera. Thank you for everything!
May your family, your loved ones, your Libera draw the most of comfort from the happiness to have had you in their lives.

Deep peace to you. I wish you would not have had to go so soon.

Let me go where I will,
I hear a sky born music still
Its sounds from all things old,
Its sounds from all things young

From all that's fair, from all that's dark
Peals out an everlasting song

Not only in the rose,
It is not only in the bird
Not only rainbow glows,
Nor in its music heard

But in the dark and cold of things
There always, always something sings

'Tis not in stars alone,
Nor in the bloom of spring born flowers
Nor in the robin's song,
Nor in the glint of showers

But in the dark and cold of things
There always, always something sings

Last edited by filiarheni on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I was wondering if the "Songs of Praise" program might have an episode featuring Libera and the life work of Robert Prizeman sometime in the next few months. He was such an important part of that show for many years as a music advisor/producer, and obviously featured Libera many times. I know he wasn't involved with the program during the last few years, and I heard that the program has gone downhill since then.

I came upon the Trinity Boys Choir's twitter account, and they mentioned Robert's passing. According to them, Robert was a "founder member of the choir." I assume that means he was a member of the choir in its first year of existence, which was 1964.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Robert Prizeman was not only the founder, but the heart of Libera. My condolences to Robert Prizeman’s family and his Libera family. May God comfort his family and bless them with peace in this time of great sorrow. Mr. Prizeman, was beloved by all the Libera fans and will be missed.

The words from the song In Paradisum in the Beyond album apply to Mr. Prizeman today.

May the Angels lead you into Paradise. May the martyrs receive you at your coming, and lead you into the holy city, Jerusalem. May the choirs of Angels receive you, and with Lazarus, who once was poor, may you have everlasting rest.

Rest in peace Robert Prizeman.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Nice reading everyone's thoughts on the sad news of Robert Prizemans passing. It's strange how you can feel a little empty and that's something irreplaceably missing for someone you have no real-life connection with i.e. compared to our own family/close friends etc.. but I guess all the Libera community are connected in some way through his outstanding musical output over the years.

Most of you will have also come across tributes by those who have worked with/alongside him through his many projects. I've collected a few here;

From Twitter...

Aled Jones @realaled

Daniel F @DFontzzz

Liam Connery @Con_Liam_nery

Jakob De Mez @SquirrelProphet

Ian Tilley (@Producermouse)

From Facebook...

My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Tribute video posted on YouTube...

[bbvideo]https://www.youtube.com/embed/kBuEGxt2-HA?start=1448[/bbvideo]

It's presented by Pam Rhodes who would have known Robert when she presented Songs of Praise for many years.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Well said, Jimmy, about that empty feeling.
To me it is like a loss of innocence. Until this week, Libera represented a kind of safe world, where death did not exist. This sounds naive, and in fact, we also remember the loss of Steven Philipp. But somehow, the choir itself and the music, always felt like a refuge from the harsh realities of life - even though the songs often deal with those realities (Rest in Peace, Love and Mercy, We are the Lost, Do Not Stand etc).
When the news of Robert’s death came on Monday, it felt like a shock that death in a real sense had entered Libera’s world.
Somehow the choir will never be the same again. Perhaps it will ‘feel’ more mature from now on (if that makes sense). It’s how grief can work. Going on with life, but changed.

For this particular, current generation of Libera boys, Robert’s passing will mark their career in music and growth into adulthood. May it deepen their understanding of life to enrich their creative endeavours.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above