Your top three favorites?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yeesh, this is hard...I agree with the general attitude, that the group is outstanding as a whole, but MWheeler probably only asked for fun...

I would say it's very song-specific for me, but overall...

* Michael Horncastle: he has a wonderfully rich, full tone.
* Liam Connery: his soloing in Libera (the song) was ethereal and powerful at the same time, and Sancte (on New Dawn) was particularly noteworthy.
* And the apparent site favorite: Tom Cully, whose vocal chords are probably the Ninth Wonder of the World--Silent Night has never sounded better, and his Do Not Stand @ Leiden is in a class by itself, even for Libera.
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

kjackson83 wrote: * Liam Connery: his soloing in Libera (the song) was ethereal and powerful at the same time, and Sancte (on New Dawn) was particularly noteworthy.
I agree. Liam has an incredible range and I predict more solo work for him in the future.

Rich
PiusPatronus

Post by PiusPatronus »

For Former Libera Choisters:
- Steven Geraghty
- Ben Crawley
- Oliver Putland

For the Current ones:
- Joshua Madine
- Tom Cully
- Michael Horncastle
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

I love Libera as a whole but I would say my top 3 are:

1. Liam Connery - His voice on the dvd is amazing, especially on Stay with me and Libera,

2. Tom Cully - No need to explain!

3. Joe Snelling - I think he will be an amazing replacement for Tom when his voice changes (although I hope it doesnt happen anytime soon!)

I also love Josh Madine as he always looks so happy when he's singing and his voice is great :)
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

Hi, Fans!! :lol:
My TOP 3:
1) Tom Cully - (...and You Were There is awesome)
2) Mini Ben (with a perfect smile) :D
3) Joe Snelling (a part of Libera 4ever) 8)

... and lowe a little star Ralph Skan (he sings in "You were there" too)
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
krishna mie
Silver Member

my top 3

Post by krishna mie »

my top 3...

1) Edward Day - he's just adorable
2) Michael Horncastle - exudes innocence
3) i can't decide among the three: Ben Philipp, Josh Madine and Tom Cully
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

My top 3 favorites:

1) Tom Cully - clearly he has a great voice, does great solos, etc. He also has an amazing personality--the way he speaks and acts, he seems to be the most confident of them all (maybe he's been in Libera the longest); he seems to be a great leader, especially when he's teaching the younger Libera kids how to sing. He's a great down-to-earth kid with an out-of-the-world voice.

2) Joshua Madine - He smiles when he sings. He has a very tender voice, especially when he sang "Going Home", "I am the Day", or the very recent "In Royal David's City" song in the beginning. He seems to be very friendly and nice behind the music.

3) Ben Phillip - His Lacrymosa and Going Home were astonishing. He seems to be a very sweet kid as well.

Concidentally, the three mentioned above formed the amazing trio in Going Home, one of my top favorite songs and videos of Libera.
liawhite

Post by liawhite »

Hm… In concurrence with others, I’d have to say picking favorites is almost impossible. I think it’s mainly because I don’t know the boys myself, but only by their songs… but I will put here my favorite solos, and who sang them:

Far Away - Michael Horne castle (of course), this song is just timeless and well, it’s Michael’s song, and I’m not sure that’s up for debate. Also my favorite Libera song.

Do Not Stand - Tom Cully’s solo in Angel Voices: Live in Concert… wow, just amazing, and in my opinion, his number 1 solo. It was truly flawless. I like Tom as a chorister, but to say he’s one of my favorites leaves me feeling unfair to the other boys. Everyone loves Tom, and if I ever had any doubt in his ability, I think his performance of “Do Not Stand” diminished all of it.

Recordare - Conner O’ Donnel, what can I say, his solo, along with Joseph S-W’s harmonies, was amazing. So simple, and yet so haunting.

Last but not least,
When a Knight - Ben Crawley’s version. He always had a way of communicating through song which was so uniquely his own. It reminds me of how Josh Madine sings as well, with such personality.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Hi Liawhite, I personally try to steer away from singling out individuals as I feel that the group as a whole are what matters and individuals will come and go but (hopefully) Libera will endour. It also very unfair on the others as they are all just kids at the end of the day. Having said that, I thought your post was excellently done as you managed to overcome the 'favourite' obstacle very well.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Jude Andrew wrote:Hi Liawhite, I personally try to steer away from singling out individuals as I feel that the group as a whole are what matters and individuals will come and go but (hopefully) Libera will endour. It also very unfair on the others as they are all just kids at the end of the day. Having said that, I thought your post was excellently done as you managed to overcome the 'favourite' obstacle very well.

I agree with this 100%. I think I may have said this elsewhere in this thread, but I do think that sometimes soloists receive more than a fair share of accolades. As a former performing musician( many high school groups & 8 years in a drum & bugle corps), I was always just part of the ensemble. I was never picked for a solo and also never received the praise from the audience afterwards either. I did feel left out and angry at the way some of the soloists struted around being superior. If this is how I felt as an adult, imagine what it must be like for pre-teens and teens?!
I am aware RP keeps a tight control on how the soloists act with the rest of the group but still, imagine being ignored in the meet & greet line while the soloists got all the attention. I for one would never do this. I would actually get the autographs of the ensemble before I even looked at the soloists, even my favorite(one of the boys in my avatar). They, as Libera, are all special and they should be treated as such.
Well, time for me to get off my soap box now.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
liawhite

Post by liawhite »

Also, we notice that the soloists, and also a few certain others, get much more screen time than some of the other boys, and I think this makes them more memorable and sometimes we may even feel like we know those specific boys. I enjoyed watching the “Libera in Their Own Words” special on the DVD because it shows interview with almost ALL of the boys, which means we get to hear from more than just the soloists, which is nice.

I tried to think about who my ’favorite’ even could be, but to be honest, I don’t have one. I don’t like the idea of putting one boy before another, like a ranking, because the whole idea of Libera is harmonies, and I believe Josh said something along the lines of every boy having his own way of singing, but in the end when they all came together they formed Libera.

They’re just kids after all, and Libera is not a popularity competition!
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Yup! Its funny, because I think of all the boys as the same... In my mind, it doesn't matter whether they are a soloist or not! In fact, Zack is one of my favorites and he's never had a solo! However, when I say one of my favorites, I mean basically the whole group... I couldn't pick :D
Libera_me

Post by Libera_me »

Such a tough choice!! hmmm... I can't pick just three! Here are my top 5:

1.Tom Cully
2.Liam Connery
3.Joseph Platt
4.Josh Madine
5.Mini-Ben Phillips

It tends to change with whatever song is my favorite at the moment.
Free

Post by Free »

Yeah, really pretty hard to choose, but still...(Top 2 :wink: )

Tom Cully - was a lot told about him. Just for his amazingly high & beautiful voice.

Liam Connery - outstanding top notes, very gentle ethereal voice!

Michael Horncastle, Josh, Joe Snelling(miss him very much), Ed Day (great contribution to Libera) Ben Crawley and other boys :D
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

Yes its difficult to make a choice
for me:1=Tom Cully,for many reasons
2= Ben Crawley /Luminosa cd
3= Liam or mayby Josh(difficult to choose)