Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Post by Surpinto »

Let's keep in mind that the current Libera management team all have full-time jobs and families outside Libera itself. The person(s) editing the videos might not be the same person(s) running the social media accounts, and we also do not know who might be on vacation or dealing with personal issues.

Libera is a very small-time operation from a business and management perspective in the sense that there's quite literally no one who manages the overall Libera "operation". From what I have gathered over the years, they basically have a group of dedicated volunteers who each likely takes care of various niches of the workload. Having been in such situations myself, though unrelated to anything musical, and under such conditions, everything takes longer and everything is done in an ad hoc way. This is not a criticism, this is just the reality.

Anyway, only a week and a day after the concert I see no reason to worry yet. If it's still not out before Christmas, only then will I feel that something is amiss. Between editing time, sound mixing, and other responsibilities I see no reason either to worry or to feel shortchanged.

I'm sure the video will out soon enough. :D
Celt

Post by Celt »

I was at SJSS this evening and asked about it. The woman I spoke to didn't know but said she would check for me, and on the way out at the end of the concert she told me it was nothing to do with SJSS. E.g. the delay is on the Libera side.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Celt wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:22 pm">2 years ago</span> I was at SJSS this evening and asked about it. The woman I spoke to didn't know but said she would check for me, and on the way out at the end of the concert she told me it was nothing to do with SJSS. E.g. the delay is on the Libera side.
Oh thanks for the update ! There was a clue before, I remember someone underlined that while Libera announced a streamed concert, SJSS did not, and that maybe it would not be streamed on SJSS' website like last year.

I hope the concert you attended this evening was good ? :wink:
Celt

Post by Celt »

I think it probably will be on the SJSS site, only that the delay is not to do with SJSS.

Yes, Christ Church Cathedral Choir, Oxford. Sadly 2 years since the last one. Alexander Olleson the 2020 YCOTY winner sang a long solo in 2019, whereas no treble solos tonight. But overall the concert was still great. :D
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Celt wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:22 pm">2 years ago</span> I was at SJSS this evening and asked about it. The woman I spoke to didn't know but said she would check for me, and on the way out at the end of the concert she told me it was nothing to do with SJSS. E.g. the delay is on the Libera side.
This evening someone from Libera answered to a question regarding the streaming on the Facebook page. "it’s being worked on - not long now!". So, we just have to wait.
The heaven soars with voices above...
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Wonderful news the concert is available to stream :mrgreen:

https://www.sjss.org.uk/libera-0
Celt

Post by Celt »

Oh yeah, use the one ordinal number after the hyphen in the URL that I didn't think to try. Thanks SJSS. :roll:
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I tried to buy the digital program but it failed for me.

Right after the payment on Paypal, I received an error message "ERROR: Sorry, there was an error. Please be sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled in your browser and try again."

The URL that displays the message is from the Libera site.
As I'm a regular paypal user I don't think I have a problem on my computer.

Was anyone able to buy the digital program and obtain an URL from where to download it ?
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:04 pm">2 years ago</span> I tried to buy the digital program but it failed for me.

Right after the payment on Paypal, I received an error message "ERROR: Sorry, there was an error. Please be sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled in your browser and try again."

The URL that displays the message is from the Libera site.
As I'm a regular paypal user I don't think I have a problem on my computer.

Was anyone able to buy the digital program and obtain an URL from where to download it ?
The same thing happened to me. I was hoping I'd get an email with the link but nothing so far.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I completed the purchase with no issues :? No email is sent. As soon as you pay you have a download link right in your browser.

Maybe try turning off any adblocker you have?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:06 pm">2 years ago</span>Maybe try turning off any adblocker you have?
Tried that and failed as well.

To say the truth I attempted 3 times to buy that digital program.
Paid 3 times. Failed 3 times, including using another browser that has zero ad-on (no adblocker of any kind) and enables all cookies.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:34 pm">2 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:06 pm">2 years ago</span>Maybe try turning off any adblocker you have?
Tried that and failed as well.

To say the truth I attempted 3 times to buy that digital program.
Paid 3 times. Failed 3 times, including using another browser that has zero ad-on (no adlocker of any kind) and enables all cookies.
:shock: I can't imagine what would cause that unless Libera's website is experiencing problems. I sent you a private message at Twitter on the matter which may assist.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

My review of the video concert. :D

Vespera – Finally, Vespera live! Well executed as it puts a lot of pressure on the main soloist as well as the boy doing the high note descants. Definitely heard a few parts I hadn’t explicitly noticed before on the recordings including when Luca sings “The stars shine out your glorious light” much of the rest of the choir does this sort of lower range short “aaaah” sliding sound. It is far more forward and pronounced live than on the studio album; so it definitely jumped out to me.

Once an Angel – Victor’s solo with Daniel in support, either singing the lines with him, or doing some ahh's. It was as well done as on the album. I was just okay with the song on first listen, when the album was released, but it is now more poignant due both to Robert’s passing and the introduction Koji and Daniel gave.

Gaudete – Luke B-D gave the opening solo. A challenge for any soloist given the need to hold some notes for several torturous seconds! Well done overall with a classic Libera arrangement of this piece.

Ding Dong Merrily on High – Always a fun song by them and it’s a holiday favorite, but nothing more to add.

Cum Dederit – Wow! Dominik’s vocal control is incredible. I thought they would never dare sing this live due to the high pressure put on the soloist to perform this complicated piece. Dominik is clearly at the stage in his vocal development where he can still reach the treble range, but is very much pushing against his new lower voice. You can hear it several time in a very subtle and unobtrusive way in the character of his singing. That is by no means a criticism as he hits the notes perfectly and flawlessly throughout, even adding some color to his solo that wasn’t there on the album. Well done!

If – Daniel’s unique voice, which is easily recognizable even without any video, leads this amazing song. In comparing the 2020 and 2021 live versions, no clearly discernible differences in the way that he sang it could be identified. Daniel is just that reliable, and has been ever since he started with Libera! With that said, I can’t imagine any other soloist ever doing it justice because he gives such a good performance.

Sing Lullaby – A favorite of mine from the Christmas Carols with Libera album, this song is a tender movement. Dominik does a nice job on the solo as he has done before.

Ave Maria – Lewis does nice job in his first solo, though he is dubbed as a back up by at least Daniel and Luca (there may have been others but the camera angles make that determination impossible). While this has never been a song I cared for much, the choir as a whole pulls it off without a hitch.

COTB – Always a fun song for them! Daniel C does first vocalise (not a misspelling to any fellow Americans reading, but it’s an actual thing ;)) followed by Daniel W and Cameron on the second, with Joseph, with a big smile, on the final verse.

Wexford Carol - Morgan sings with great confidence the start of this song solo before being being joined by both Daniel’s. His voice is markedly sweet-toned and bell like. The rest of the song is sung as a whole choir, with the central verse, usually sung only by the soloist alone, being performed instrumentally by Eimear. I assume this decision was made so as not to put too much pressure on a new soloist; but I suspect they have nothing to worry about.

Poor Little Jesus – An amazing song with Luca’s voice even more clear and bright than before. His vocal precision is something already known to us, but his voice has developed with age/experience in a very positive manner.

Sacris Solemnis – Started by Freddie who has a distinctive and powerful voice. He brings a clear vocal face forward to kick off the song. Of course the song is a Libera classic and would not be denied for being performed without any problems.

Nearer My God to Thee – Luca starts off and then at each verse is joined by others: first by Freddie, next by Victor, and finally by both Daniel and Ludwig. He does the high descants and then ends the song alone. A fantastic quintet singing an amazingly touching song which I long to hear again in person as it has always affected me.

Sing For Our World – My favorite earworm of a song :lol: The boys seem to enjoy the song too; some even seemed to chuckle a few times especially after the big “hey!” :)

Three Ships (encore) – Always a fun, rousing song which, like the previous one, had several of them swaying to and fro. A very fun way to end the concert!

Overall, it was great to join Libera for this virtual concert at this difficult time when so many, even in the nearby EU, chose not to attend due to the pandemic situation, new restrictions, and fears over the omicron variant of COVID-19.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Oh, thanks for your review Surpinto ! You have solved a double mystery for me :lol: 1rst one : why was Cameron wearing a microphone, 2nd one : during the first concert I got the impression, during the vocalise in Carol of the Bells, that 2 kids were singing, so I tried to figure what was going on during the second one, but I could not hear it anymore. So, it was Cameron :lol:

I can't wait to hear the concert again. But I have to wait, though :D I'd rather like to enjoy it when I have time and can seat quietly. Maybe on Sunday evening, but I'm not even sure.

One mystery left if Surpinto or someone else feels like being a detective : why was Jack Spicha wearing a microphone ? Maybe he did a discreet solo too !