Which are your most touching Libera songs?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

theriverflowson
Silver Member

Which are your most touching Libera songs?

Post by theriverflowson »

Hi everyone,

inspired by filiarheni's thread I'm courious to learn which Libera songs trigger your emotions the most (... and why, if you want to let us know) :?:

I've always been very interested in every single detail related to World War I and the poem 'In Flanders Fields' by Canadian poem and soldier John McCrae, which this song is inspired by, expresses so much of the madness of this war and every war. This is the reason why for me this special song is We are the lost, even more while watching Libera's video produced along with the 'Vision' album.

Last edited by theriverflowson on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Which are your most touching Libera songs?

Post by Surpinto »

I would have to say it's similar to what I said in the other thread. But I would add also "Angele Dei" as it is an entreaty and a prayer that is quite touching.

But I can elaborate on "Lament" more because this piece affects me in an unexpected way. Though I am not religious I am relatively well versed in the biblical and religious ideas which are often present in Libera's music. The words in Latin beseech Jerusalem to return to God. This is a common Old Testament theme where prophets beg the Israelites to cease whatever wickedness they are currently engaged in and return to god and his commandments. At one point the Israelites, supposedly for their transgressions, are defeated, banished from Jerusalem and the land of Israel; taken into captivity to Babylon. The music here and the longing melody also captures (to my mind's eye) the captivity and exile in Babylon as a lament to return to Jerusalem which is exemplified best by Psalm 137.

When I first heard this song all of these ideas presented themselves to me. I see a person sitting by the river in Babylon right at the beginning of nighttime too sad to sing and lamenting their distance not only from a geographical place but from the source of universe itself. Weird huh? :wink:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

:shock: :shock: What are you doing?!? Do you want me to list 120 Libera songs or are you satisfied with only 110? :shock:
Well, lovely question! I will think about it and make a selection. :P :wink: :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Well, "Faithful Heart" makes me think about my late wife. "I Vow To Thee My Country" brings up a clash of emotions. It brings upo images of the old anti-war film "King of Hearts" in my mind. It's like a farewell hymn of a culture long past.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:48 pm">3 years ago</span> But I can elaborate on "Lament" more because this piece affects me in an unexpected way.
Thank you for explaining the background, Surpinto. It's fascinating how certain songs can create pictures in our minds and evoke emotions after understanding what might be the message behind the lyrics.

Since I first listend to Libera, I'm more interested in the latin language than ever (and also in the religious background of their songs), trying to understand what the songs want to tell - my desperate teachers would have been proud of me 8)

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:34 pm">3 years ago</span> :shock: :shock: What are you doing?!? Do you want me to list 120 Libera songs or are you satisfied with only 110? :shock:
Looking forward to your selection, filiarheni, this will be an inspiration to me as always (mission accomplished :mrgreen: ). For my part, several songs already touch me by their melody and singing. Do you have in mind certain songs touching you in a more "complex" way, for example by the story they tell, a certain situation you connect a song to (apart from concerts, which would make the list too long again for sure :mrgreen: )?

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:09 am">3 years ago</span> Well, "Faithful Heart" makes me think about my late wife. "I Vow To Thee My Country" brings up a clash of emotions. It brings upo images of the old anti-war film "King of Hearts" in my mind. It's like a farewell hymn of a culture long past.
Faithful Heart is such a beautiful song even by its melody, I cannot even imagine what a treasure it must be if it is connected to a certain beloved person. Thanks to you, TullyBascombe.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:34 pm">3 years ago</span> :shock: :shock: What are you doing?!? Do you want me to list 120 Libera songs or are you satisfied with only 110? :shock:
She said it all :lol:

Well, recently, "If" made its way in this selection, obviously, and maybe some of you know I actually work in a Holocaust Memorial so...

I have been really moved by "Let me make songs" due to the context of the crisis and the fact that Libera had an opportunity to sing a concert.

"How Great Thou art" is a special one to me. Though I am not much of a believer this one resonates with my soul, somehow.

"May the Road Rise up" makes me feel hopeful.

I could make a list of every song that moved me, but really... context, interpretation... It is difficult to depart the song from the rest, or is it just me ?
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep - Death is something that profoundly impacts all of us.. I really love the sentiment behind this piece, it helps me deal with the worries of losing loved ones, and lines up with how I feel death should be dealt with; to remember someone's lasting impact on the lives of those they touched, rather than mourning the loss.

Prayer - I'm not religious, but I find this song extremely touching. I see prayer as a representation of lost hope, when someone feels helpless and the result lies in the hands of the universe. It's a feeling that everyone can relate to, religious or not. Despite this somewhat pessimistic view, I love the feeling of positivity that's induced with this song... it certainly leaves me feeling far more hopeful than hopeless.
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

As for me it would be Deep Peace (Gaelic Blessing) and Eternal light. Aside from it's wonderful calm vibe,what I truly loved the most of these songs are the profound message of hope and glory.

I would also like to add Song of Life for it's context of unity and lastly Dreaming of Home,a perfect song for those who are longing to be with their loved ones especially during these dire times.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yes, "If" is definitely one of their most touching songs. It need not be applied specifically to The Holocaust. When I hear it I think of Syria, Yemen, Burma, Palestine... the list goes on and on.
"Venite Adoramus" is touching in a different way. It's like a tantric chant.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Do Not Stand - it is connected to the loss of my grandmother, my mother and my best friend.
I will always remember Ralph singing this in Arundel.

Faithful Heart - again connected to my best friend, in particular to the time when we were lovers

If and Dreaming of Home also usually stir up deep emotions. They resonate directly with my soul from the first time I heard them.
I first heard Dreaming of Home in Ely - simply overwhelming.

In the Bleak Midwinter is deeply moving too. Even thinking of the song in my head can move me :) It has to do with the lyrics and the solemn melody.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I have now restrained to said selection. These are some of all of Libera's moving songs which do so in a specific way, so I hope that's what you expected. :) It's interesting, as sometimes it's the music, sometimes the lyrics, sometimes a single voice, sometimes a mix. And sometimes it's the live experience which makes a difference and can open a song for me. So to each song in alphabetical order:

1. Songs that touch me so intensely that they require inner stability as a prerequisite for a listen (otherwise I must skip them)

Ave Maria (Robert Prizeman)
The pleading is so palpable already in the melody. I love every version I heard from Libera, on albums and live.

Ave Maria (Vavilov/Caccini)
Solo sung by Tom Cully. I know some fans prefer the Steven Geraghty's rendition, and yes, he is wonderful. Marvelous voice and he sings this difficult piece flawlessly, admirable! I love to listen to him for this beauty and I love to listen to Gabe for the goosebumps he causes me with his deep notes at the part from 2:52. But for the heart, I always return to Tom, who sets a sensitivity into the song with his haunting voice and by the phrasing that is unique and irresistibly draws me in. This lasts all the way through. Since I heard Tom's recording, no other version of the uncountable interpretations of this piece has evoked a similar mesmerised, so moved feeling in myself.

Do Not Stand
Solo sung by Ben Crawley. Robert's setting of the words is unrivaled, I can't imagine anything more adequate. Such infinite tenderness, perfectly matched by Ben's feathery voice and the gentle, meaningful lyrics.

If
Well, only recently I wrote about why I find it so touching, so I simply place a link here. Super-serious song. And I agree with you, Tully, that, even though I do, one doesn't necessarily have to refer to Anne Frank and her time to be moved by this piece. It's timeless and I think that many people wholeheartedly agree to the words.

Sancte  
Again such longing in the music, gentle introversion, then streaming power - yes, that song touches me deeply.

Stabat Mater
Very, very, very stirring! Composed love in despair, pain, the sighs, the perfect setting of the Stabat words and then Isaac voice full of feeling and even expressing the weeping with his voice (wow!), then the choir taking over, increasing the dramatic feeling. The tune is magic and all rounded. This song is tender and overwhelming at the same time. The most touching Libera song for me and definitely no song I can always endure due to its poignancy.

2. Particularly personal songs

Secret
I had described my feelings in this forum before, so I hope it's okay to just partly repeat myself, as nothing has changed:
Secret for me is like looking into a mirror, not for the lyrics which I don't mind, but for the music in every single sense. I get a special, very pleasant childhood scene during sunset, a blackbird singing on our neighbours' house, my family and the others around us are at home and enjoy their evening. It's a 100 % feeling of peace and calm joy. And no wonder it represents summer. So, Secret is the most precious Libera song for me. The music in each respect feels as if Robert had set myself to music. I've never had something similar before. Very important song for me and most dear and precious to my heart and soul. 

Vespera
also evokes some early memories I can't concretely grasp. It's the sound of the keyboard which immediately has me transferred to back then, and it feels sheltered, safe and there is a diffuse atmosphere of excitement, music, concert. This basic feeling is maintained over the entire song, the tune, the special harmonies, all contributes to it. Like Secret, Vespera spreads a purely pleasant feelings to me. I have no idea why exactly it creates such a result. But I react the same way to the typical Pat Metheny sound. Strange, as I was not at all familiar with such music either way at that time.

Wexford Carol
An inseparable unity of contentment and peace and as such balm for the soul, gently swaying, meditative. Only with Libera. Their version is the ultimate. I prefer Isaac's version from Armagh, again for personal reasons: I watched the Armagh DVD for the first time around my first Libera concert in the UK 2016 and everything turned out so well! The travels, London, meeting with others, a superb concert; there was an overall joyful atmosphere persisting over those days. And this always resonates, when I listen to the Armagh Wexford Carol.

3. Other songs which touch me in a special way

In the bleak midwinter
Reading the title is enough to capture me by just hearing Libera sing it in concert via my inner ear. Every choir seems to have its rendition of the song, but the one by Libera gives the song a special meaning and they sing it just so gently.

Mother of God
Very touching for how modest and intimate Libera's rendition is.

Something Sings

A very contemplative song from which I took my forum signature words that are so comforting and so suitable and so true: "But in the dark and cold of things / There always, always something sings." A great combination of mysterious sound and peace, which never fails to find the ground of my soul.

Three Ravens
Another kind of moving effect! :wink: That song is so dramatic and of such a harsh beauty (hope that hits it correctly), I just can't resist. It just catches me and doesn't let me go. In the second interlude, before the ending part, it's as if the voices are dancing around me and the turbulence in this part and the brilliant singing fascinate me! I always turn the song very loud so that it feels like being surrounded, locked in by this thrilling music. Not sure what people thought of me recently when I was listening to Three Ravens in the car and at a red traffic-light forgot to close the window. :shock:

Wayfaring Stranger
My first encounter with this song was a guitar/flute version, and I always assigned it to such a very much reduced form mirroring the lonely person. But the Libera arrangement by Sam Coates unites so many emotional states - like loneliness, longing, insecurity, resolution, hope etc. -  and develops that in such a powerful way that I go from goosebumps to goosebumps, especially when sung live. The song has got another dimension for me through Libera and this unconsciously gets to me each time.

We are the Lost
Apart from being very beautiful, it has that historic background, so I agree with you here.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"