Schola Cantorum - In Paradisum

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: Schola Cantorum - In Paradisum

Post by Luckdragon »

A promotional video of the CVMS 7th-9th grade orchestra from December 2020. Five familiar faces.

Celt

Post by Celt »

The second team of boys including two more from CVMS wrapped up the production of The Magic Flute at the ROH tonight. I was two floors up and twice the distance away from my spot in the first show, so my pictures aren't so good, but I'm sure you can still recognise a certain Knaben... I also saw him as a frog in the Cunning Little Vixen at the Holland Park Opera in July... :D
► Show Spoiler
The Magic Flute ROH production is available to stream from their website with the first team in my earlier post as the three knaben.

Tosca in December, but no info on cast yet.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Great info, thank you Celt :D

From the latest pictures posted by Cardinal Vaughan on Facebook it appears that beside Daniel also Victor was part of the production (there appear to be two groups of Three Knaben, so they maybe have rotated for different performances).

I might buy a stream ticket, I would love to hear them sing in German :D
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Celt

Post by Celt »

The stream has Victor in it, unfortunately Daniel was in the other team, so no video of him.

I guess they had to spread the Libera Awesomeness around. Too many Libera members in one team might have overwhelmed the ears of opera-goers unused to such sublimity. :wink:
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Celt wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:48 am">2 years ago</span> I guess they had to spread the Libera Awesomeness around. Too many Libera members in one team might have overwhelmed the ears of opera-goers unused to such sublimity. :wink:
This theory definitely sounds reasonable :mrgreen:

Having Victor in the stream is quite fine! :D
Celt

Post by Celt »

Lovely concert by CVMS this evening! My only complaint is, it was only one hour!
Last edited by Celt on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Celt wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 pm">2 years ago</span> High drama though as one of the boys fainted, he's a Liberan too. :o
Oh, dear! I hope he is doing better now! :shock:
Celt

Post by Celt »

Redacted - Celt
Last edited by Celt on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Details of the new recording of Christmas music for boys' voices and harp by the Schola Cantorum of The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School, with harpist Zita Silva, released in November 2021.

[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The fainting often is a result of a rapidly growing boy's neck being compressed by a tight collar. Between the ages of 11 and 14 a collar that fit comfortably a few weeks ago can become tight enough that it presses on the carotid body, a portion of the carotid artery, which triggers a reflex drop in blood pressure.
Celt

Post by Celt »

seraphita wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:51 pm">2 years ago</span> Details of the new recording of Christmas music for boys' voices and harp by the Schola Cantorum of The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School, with harpist Zita Silva, released in November 2021.
I am really looking forward to this recording! I love Britten's Ceremony of Carols!

Future concerts:

CVMS have some upcoming concerts. Handel's Messiah in SJSS on Dec 3rd (I have attended this three times and it has been fantastic every time), a lunchtime recital at the Royal Opera House on Dec 6th (not yet for sale) and another lunchtime recital back at SJSS on Dec 20th (tickets on sale for £10).

Just a reminder, these are CVMS concerts... and although you may recognise members from their "other choir" this is essentially their school choir and a separation between the two should be maintained, and their privacy should be respected, as per the official notice about this from Libera in 2019.
Last edited by Celt on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:59 pm">2 years ago</span> Future concerts:

CVMS have some upcoming concerts. Handel's Messiah in SJSS on Dec 3rd (I have attended this three times and it has been fantastic every time), a lunchtime recital at the Royal Opera House on Dec 6th (not yet for sale) and another lunchtime recital back at SJSS on Dec 20th (tickets on sale for £10).

Just a reminder, these are CVMS concerts... and although you may recognise members from their "other choir" this is essentially their school choir and a separation between the two should be maintained, and their privacy should be respected, as per the official notice about this from Libera in 2019.
That said, those travelling to London for the Libera concert should look into adding the CVMS concert to their itinerary.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:24 am">2 years ago</span> The fainting often is a result of a rapidly growing boy's neck being compressed by a tight collar. Between the ages of 11 and 14 a collar that fit comfortably a few weeks ago can become tight enough that it presses on the carotid body, a portion of the carotid artery, which triggers a reflex drop in blood pressure.
Last edited by Luckdragon on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:14 pm">2 years ago</span> That said, those travelling to London for the Libera concert should look into adding the CVMS concert to their itinerary.
That is why I posted them here, I highly recommend going, if you can. :wink:

I just thought it timely to remind everyone that they are two distinct choirs. CVMS are very active on social media, blurring the lines somewhat. Also, the Royal Opera House published the membership of both choirs in the biographies of Victor and Daniel, so I would consider that information public domain, but not the other boys. So, the dual membership of many singers is very much the elephant in the room, but should be respected as much as possible. However, all three CVMS concerts are open to the public and freely for sale, so there's no good reason not to attend if you are free, as they are a fantastic choir in their own right! (Dec 6th 1pm at the ROH should feature songs from Hodie! and will go on sale Nov 16th)
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Do you have any idea if the sales for the 6th of December at the Royal Opera House should be big or not ? There is a very high probability that I won't be able to book my ticket on the very same day of the opening of the sales, is that something I should be worried about or not ?