St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks to Patricks' (@fan_de_LoK) news discovery this morning, it appears Libera have come to the rescue for us again in these troubled times by holding (x2) Christmas concerts on Sunday 6 December, with a note indicating that the 8pm event will be 'streamed live'
libconcertSJSQ6122020.png
libconcertSJSQ6122020.png (155.8 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
libconcertSJSQ6122020.png
libconcertSJSQ6122020.png (155.8 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
https://t.co/GlFrDURcZQ?amp=1

Tickets might be for sale but I'm guessing it will be limited in numbers due to new monthly Covid19 lockdown which may have ended by then, but could easily be extended. Lots of tricky questions for those wanting to go, but importantly for those that can't, it looks like a 'live' streamed concert will be made available. :)
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Post by Surpinto »

A live streamed concert would be a dream come true in this time of extreme uncertainty on both sides of the Atlantic. :D
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'll believe it when I see it. The lockdown still allows for schools/universities to meet in person, and I'm skeptical about that working. At the very least, we can hope for something recorded like earlier this year, but this almost seems like wishful thinking on their part. I don't mean to be negative, I'm just having a hard time believing it will happen. Maybe they have a Plan B where they would record the whole thing at St. John's Smith SQ without an audience.
LordG

Post by LordG »

Even if it will happen a lot of ppl will not be able to attend this venue.

Travelling to and from London will be difficult if you live outside the UK,
perhaps even within the UK.
So I think I will skip this concert and hope that by next year the situation
will have eased enough to allow safe travel again.
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I have got in touch with the box office today and they replied the following which I was allowed to share further: 

"Currently our scheduled list of events will be taking place from 3rd December onwards, although of course we are keeping a close eye on further developments with lockdown restrictions. Priority booking for December concerts opens to St John’s Patrons and Friends today at 12pm.  General booking opens at 12pm this Friday (6th November). 
Should restrictions extend further than the current guidelines meaning events will need to be postponed or cancelled, all bookers will be entitled to refunds." 
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Interesting thanks fiiarheni

Just noticed on SJS website that every event from this Thursday until 2nd December has been postponed...so it very much looks like the Libera concerts will only go ahead if the 'lockdown' isn't extended beyond this date.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:35 pm">3 years ago</span> Interesting thanks fiiarheni

Just noticed on SJS website that every event from this Thursday until 2nd December has been postponed...so it very much looks like the Libera concerts will only go ahead if the 'lockdown' isn't extended beyond this date.

I hope I am wrong but I think it’s highly likely the lockdown will be extended. With schools and Uni’s open a month isn’t going to get this under control imo
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

dani wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:45 pm">3 years ago</span> I hope I am wrong but I think it’s highly likely the lockdown will be extended. With schools and Uni’s open a month isn’t going to get this under control imo
We share these doubts. Still, everybody hopes silently. Musicians and concert managers, wherever they are, "brachiate" (as we'd say here) from day to day, because every day can bring something new. They try not to give up too soon, as the situation is so desperate, for those who need the money for their living as well as for those who need music for their soul. The smallest hope is being maintained as long as only possible.

Libera's CD title "Hope" has never been as much called for as this year.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

If the lockdown continues would a live streamed concert without audience be possible?
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

As i live in the Corona-Hotspot of Europe (Switzerland) i'm not allowed to enter the country anyways, without quaranteening for 2 weeks. Who want's to explain this to my boss?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:17 am">3 years ago</span> If the lockdown continues would a live streamed concert without audience be possible?

Unless they sell tickets for the streaming then it wouldn’t be viable.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

There's now a 3rd listing on the event page which is exactly the same as the 8pm concert but without the 'This performance will be streamed live' tag embedded.
triple.png
triple.png (125.72 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
triple.png
triple.png (125.72 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Libera has now offically announced the two concerts on their website:
http://libera.org.uk/events/calendar/

In their "News" they write:

"We have announced 2 concerts at St John’s Smith Square on Sunday 6th December. The concerts will both feature the same music and will be performed at 5pm and 8pm.
Contact the box office on +44 207 222 1061 or visit the booking website."

"Wish - dream - pray", says Secret. 8)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

The second 8pm concert is no longer on the website. Tickets seem to be a single price of £30 with no reserved seating.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Libera has changed their text on the news site from "We have announced" to a more cautious "We are planning to perform". Also in this section, but not yet on their event site - where it ought to appear as well! - they added the hint that the 8:00 pm concert will be streamed live:

"We are planning to perform two concerts on Sunday 6th December at St John’s Smith Square.
The performances – at 5pm and 8pm – will be identical in content, shorter than a full concert with no interval. Because the number of audience seats available in the hall is considerably smaller than usual, the second concert will be streamed live.
Contact the box office on +44 207 222 1061 or visit the booking website.

Details for obtaining a connection to the live stream will follow."

Extremely exciting! :D