Sancte

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

seraphita
Silver Member

Sancte

Post by seraphita »

I still think Sancte is one of Libera's gems.
Its music clip lasts 2 minutes.

On the albums Newdawn and Eternal the song lasts more than 5 minutes.

The lyrics:
Sancte
Libera

Veni Sancte Spiritus, lumen cordia
Veni dator munerum, Pater pauperum
Lux creator optime, Sancte Spiritus

In aeterna lux credentium
Sempiterna lumen cordium
In aeterna Sancte Spiritus

Creator mysterium, O lux creator optime
Beata, fidelium, sit sempiterna gloria

In aeterna lux credentium
Sempiterna lumen cordium
In aeterna Sancte Spiritus

Creator mysterium, O lux creator optime
Beata, fidelium, sit sempiterna gloria

Is the song on the CDs an extended version?
Or is it for some other reason longer?
Do any of you know more about this?
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Sancte

Post by Surpinto »

It's a good song. Songs are often shortened from their original versions if longer than just a few minutes to accommodate the timetables of various TV shows. This is not the first time Libera has done this with a song. "From a Distance" is just under 5 minutes on the Hope album but is cut down to nearly 3.5 minutes in their Royal Albert Hall performance.

An even better example is the song "Going Home" which appears twice on the Angel Voices album. The first version is a radio edit (the label of radio edit appears on the CD but not on YouTube) and the second is nearly 30 seconds longer.

This type of editing is actually not unique to Libera and is done quite often in concerts by both Libera and other performers so as to not potentially drag a song out too long. In fact they did that sort of shortening in concert with many songs on numerous occasions.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

It also happened to O Sanctissima with two different videos on Libera's official Youtube channel, whose version shortened by one minute fooled me at the beginning of my Libera time. I was very happy when I discovered the "correct" album version.

Regarding the small Sancte: Such crucial parts, decisive for grasping the musical development of the song, were left away here that I wonder whether it was meant as a teaser only? It is absolutely noticeable that it can't be complete.
Or: Was the entire song filmed? And if so, was something wrong with the filming material so that they had no choice but to shorten it? It's one of my Libera wishes that the rest does exist in the famous drawer and that they will give it to us in total some time in the future. Btw, the video was filmed in the beautiful and in its atmosphere very impressive church St. Bartholomew-the-Great in London.

seraphita wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:53 pm">3 years ago</span>I still think Sancte is one of Libera's gems.
Sancte belongs to my particular favourites and I'd beg Libera on my knees to revisit it and bring it live on stage again, when it's possible again to perform live (... apart from the wish to banish the latter half sentence off my mind one day).
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:50 pm">3 years ago</span> It's one of my Libera wishes that the rest does exist in the famous drawer and that they will give it to us in total some time in the future. Btw, the video was filmed in the beautiful and in its atmosphere very impressive church St. Bartholomew-the-Great in London.

seraphita wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:53 pm">3 years ago</span>I still think Sancte is one of Libera's gems.
Sancte belongs to my particular favourites and I'd beg Libera on my knees to revisit it and bring it live on stage again, when it's possible again to perform live (... apart from the wish to banish the latter half sentence off my mind one day).

Indeed it would be great to see the entire video.

The St. Bartholomew-the-Great church is beautiful, it exudes the right atmosphere for a Libera concert in the future.

Redoing the song would be a great idea indeed.
[]_________[]_________[]

seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:42 pm">3 years ago</span> It's a good song. Songs are often shortened from their original versions if longer than just a few minutes to accommodate the timetables of various TV shows. This is not the first time Libera has done this with a song. "From a Distance" is just under 5 minutes on the Hope album but is cut down to nearly 3.5 minutes in their Royal Albert Hall performance.

An even better example is the song "Going Home" which appears twice on the Angel Voices album. The first version is a radio edit (the label of radio edit appears on the CD but not on YouTube) and the second is nearly 30 seconds longer.

This type of editing is actually not unique to Libera and is done quite often in concerts by both Libera and other performers so as to not potentially drag a song out too long. In fact they did that sort of shortening in concert with many songs on numerous occasions.

Maybe they can make an exception for the videos posted on youtube.
[]_________[]_________[]

Prototype

Post by Prototype »

Its certainly one of my favourites, I love Tom's solo.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Full version

[]_________[]_________[]