Film: The Chorus

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Prototype

Film: The Chorus

Post by Prototype »

Has anyone seen the French film "The Chorus" by Christophe Barratier. I loved the soundtrack and managed to find a DVD of the choir that performed the soundtrack for film actually performing in concert. Only one of the choristers, soloist Jean Baptiste-Maunier actually appears in the film though, here he is performing one of the songs from the DVD, a song which is also on the soundtrack of "The Chorus"

Okay, I just watched the beginning of that clip, and now I have to go and watch the DVD. laterz :P
Wolf

Re: Film: The Chorus

Post by Wolf »

Absolutely! It's actually the film that caused me to become interested in choir music in the first instance, and over time while searching for new music (I came across PCCB first), youtube recommendations eventually lead me to Libera. The soundtrack is fantastic and the film incredibly sweet. The actor who played Clément Mathieu is amazing.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

I have watched both, the film and the concert dvd.
Here's a video Jean Baptiste did later with Clemens (the daughter of the componist) I personaly really like this one;
Concerto Pour Deux voix
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

My personal favourite of Jean-Baptiste Manuier as a soloist singing songs from this film is Caresse Sur l'Ocean:

His vocal range as a treble soloist is superb!!
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

@Bamboo,

Your youtube link seems blocked for copyright reasons. Well, at least it is when addressed from a French IP.

What about this version, performed by the Londonian group Kindred Spirits in 2007, when that song was trending ?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

@ fan_de_LoK
Now the video you linked is unavailable.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

It's available for me! Jean-Baptiste Maunier sends a chill down my spine when he sang the solo part for this song, didn't quite get the same feeling for the cover by Kindred Spirits. Nevertheless, the soloist sang rather well.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Great film and some very good singing (don't tell anybody I said that 8) ) - but that Concerto Pour Deux Voix is horrific - nearly, but not quite, as bad as the cat wailing rubbish.

That ending with Pepinot :cry:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

As a french girl around 10 when the movie was on screen, I am a very product of this movie. I already liked to sing but that is when I asked to join a choir, and so started 14 years of choir practice ! I was very much in love with Jean-Baptiste Maunier of course :lol:

So for anyone interested : the choir featured in the movie is the PCSM, Petits Chanteurs de Saint-Marc, they come from Lyon. The director still is the same I believe.

As someone suggested, Jean-Baptiste Maunier recorded a song with Clemence. He had a very unique voice. He still sings but not much. I know for some time he tried a professionnal classical music carier, I remember him singing Dogora with Etienne Perruchon (there is a link below, I believe some of you might enjoy this piece of music). He now sings with the "Enfoirés", a group of french celebrities that gives concerts of charity every years. Also, he now isn't so young anymore, he even got a kid recently :lol: He made some other movies and even a solo album but these haven't been really successful.

An extract from the "Enfoirés" (not the same type of music :lol: )

Solo album :

As for "The Choir", it has been turned into a musical not long ago, in Paris, and I got the opportunity to see it : it was really good, and they even added new songs for the "non-singer" characters of the movie, unfortunately they were not recorded. The kids (boys and girls !) all came from "La Maîtrise des Hauts-de-Seine", which is one of the best french children's choir in my opinion these days. It was awesome ! I wish it would be recorded and/or filmed !

I wonder, if Libera should one day come to France to perform, would they pick a song from that movie ? :D They definitely have links with Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint Marc, since the Lyon's choir has sang several songs from R Prizeman.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I remember the film, and I have the CD of the soundtrack. There were a number of very good songs.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:37 pm">4 years ago</span> Great film and some very good singing (don't tell anybody I said that 8) ) - but that Concerto Pour Deux Voix is horrific - nearly, but not quite, as bad as the cat wailing rubbish.

I second this.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 pm">4 years ago</span> I wonder, if Libera should one day come to France to perform, would they pick a song from that movie ? :D They definitely have links with Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint Marc, since the Lyon's choir has sang several songs from R Prizeman.
Ha, that made me think about this raw PCSM/Libera mashup I made some years ago.
There's an instrumental section in "Recordare" that exactly fits some part of "Vois sur ton chemin"

Last edited by The Furby on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Oh yes, I still listen to this mashup sometimes, I really like it ! :D
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:13 am">4 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 pm">4 years ago</span> I wonder, if Libera should one day come to France to perform, would they pick a song from that movie ? :D They definitely have links with Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint Marc, since the Lyon's choir has sang several songs from R Prizeman.
Ha, that made me think about this raw PCCB/Libera mashup I made some years ago.
There's an instrumental section in "Recordare" that exactly fits some part of "Vois sur ton chemin"

How did I miss that mashup?! Very creative! :D
Prototype

Post by Prototype »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:37 pm">4 years ago</span> Great film and some very good singing (don't tell anybody I said that 8) ) - but that Concerto Pour Deux Voix is horrific - nearly, but not quite, as bad as the cat wailing rubbish.

Ouch! That was a bit harsh lol