Furthest you have travelled

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prototype

Furthest you have travelled

Post by Prototype »

I'm just curious how far people have travelled to see Libera. I know people cross continents, I on the other hand can't usually afford to travel that far. The furthest I have travelled is from Plymouth to London's south bank. I am hoping that one day Libera will visit the west country again, as they did in 2009 when I saw them at St. Johns, but what would be a real treat if they came to my home city. Which brings me to the second question, has anyone been lucky enough to have Libera visit their home town/city?
Liberation
Silver Member

Re: Furthest you have travelled

Post by Liberation »

I could not afford that either, to trave the world. I live in the Netherlands in the north part and traveled a 170 km (105 miles) to
Leiden for the dvd recordings of the Leiden concert in 2007.
Always had the plan to travel to England for a concert but till now I did not get the opportunity.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Prototype wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:10 pm">4 years ago</span> I'm just curious how far people have travelled to see Libera. I know people cross continents
I live in southern Poland and since Ely 2017 I've attended all concerts in the UK. I was in Moscow 2018 (pretty much the same distance as to London for me), but the furthest was definitely the US tour 2019 with Minnesota, Missouri and California (yes, I know, I missed Oklahoma).

I plan to go to Japan this year, but due to the current coronavirus situation nothing seems certain now...

Prototype wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:10 pm">4 years ago</span> ..which brings me to the second question, has anyone been lucky enough to have Libera visit their home town/city?
Well, almost.... :D On their way to Cracow/Poland in summer 2016 they were travelling by coach on a highway, which is no more than like 2 miles away from my home. :wink: Sadly, I didn't know them at that time yet. :?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I live in Virginia, I saw them in London this last December.
LordG

Post by LordG »

I have been to all the spring concerts since 2013 in Guildford, 2016 in Vallenda and all Christmas concerts since 2017.
It is always a trip of about 1000 km as the crow flies, because I usually travel by plane to the UK.
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Furthest: Moscow 2018.

Vallendar was a one hour drive from my hometown Cologne. Cologne would be wonderful as a hosting place for a Libera concert. :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Tokyo is the furthest I travelled to see them - more than 9000 km (5600 miles) :o
It kicked off a love affair with Japan :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

So far, it's travelling from the US to the UK in 2018. An unforgettable trip which was such an amazing highlight for me. Maybe one day I may have the ability to do so again. :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:05 am">4 years ago</span> So far, it's travelling from the US to the UK in 2018. An unforgettable trip which was such an amazing highlight for me. Maybe one day I may have the ability to do so again. :D
I didn't realise that was your first and last trip over here. So many more choirs for you to hear, when are you coming back?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:16 pm">4 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:05 am">4 years ago</span> So far, it's travelling from the US to the UK in 2018. An unforgettable trip which was such an amazing highlight for me. Maybe one day I may have the ability to do so again. :D
I didn't realise that was your first and last trip over here. So many more choirs for you to hear, when are you coming back?
I have been to the UK twice in my life. The first was unrelated to Libera and was in the summer just for vacation. I visited Stonehenge, Salisbury, Edinburgh, London, and Bath. No choirs that time as I did not realize (stupidly) that UK schools run late into June and early July :x :oops: . But a large constraint was that I had many guided tours and other tourist things scheduled, so at most I could have attended only a single evensong at St Paul's perhaps. I also wasn't as well versed about such things then as I am now.

The other visit was the Ely concert I mentioned. In 2018 I spent a lot of time in Cambridge (on your advice) and was able to hear St John's and King's at evensong. Amazing!

I want to go back very much and to hear all of those choirs and visit many of the historic places that the UK has to offer. Work schedule and financial constraints are of course the biggest impediments; with scheduling issues making it nearly impossible to attend the Libera concerts in December and Spring. In 2018 there were many, many stars that aligned to make that trip possible. One of which was a super cheap direct flight from New York to Stanstead airport which is closer to Cambridge/Ely making my time in the area that much greater. International direct flights from the US never ever fly into Stanstead and that airline went under not longer after my flights :shock:. There were several other things that worked out unexpectedly with my work schedule. But summer is ideal. If Libera ever did a summer tour in the UK again I would absolutely do my utmost to attend.

But what's more important though is that YOU come along with us to one of the US tours next time they happen. I know it's a struggle but we'd love to have you. :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Salisbury is one of my favourite cathedrals. I tried to take Tom to Stonehenge last year when Libera played Arundel but unfortunately it was closed for the solstice. I haven't been to the USA since 2008 - I think my sister would be upset if she knew I had returned but not visited her...
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I loved Salisbury Cathedral and the town was cool as well. As for you sister, what she doesn't know can't hurt her, right? :wink: :P