New COTB and Sing Lullaby Videos

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

New COTB and Sing Lullaby Videos

Post by Surpinto »

Libera's social media accounts have posted the following previews of a new version of "Carol of the Bells" and "Sing Lullaby". We are promised the full versions "very soon".

Update 1: COTB replaced with the full video.
Update 2: Sing Lullaby replaced with the full video.

I am really excited about "Sing Lullaby" in particular as it was one of my favorite songs on the new Christmas album. It is beautifully sung and very moving.

Last edited by Surpinto on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Re: New COTB and Sing Lullaby Videos

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Full 'COTB' video now posted on Libera's official YouTube channel (I'll let you update your links Surpinto)...Great video, no major overall but it's good enough without one. Luca has an opening solo line, and Neo and Oliver WR duet the solo 'aaah-aaah' with Cassius closing out the solo finalé. Looking forward to 'Sing Lullaby'
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 am">4 years ago</span> Full 'COTB' video now posted on Libera's official YouTube channel (I'll let you update your links Surpinto)...Great video, no major overall but it's good enough without one. Luca has an opening solo line, and Neo and Oliver WR duet the solo 'aaah-aaah' with Cassius closing out the solo finalé. Looking forward to 'Sing Lullaby'
Done! And nice find of it being on the BBC website as per your tweet, Jimmy. :D

I want to point out that the video is available in 4k! For those who watch YouTube on a TV or larger computer monitor, rather than on a mobile device, you will see the difference immediately (click the gear on the YouTube video at bottom-right and select the 4k quality). This is definitely a major step up from their previous 1080p recordings and the video quality and production is high - I do not mention the audio quality only because this is the same recording as on the CD and Libera's recording quality is always notoriously high.

Also, rather than a themed music video, this one is done more in a concert style; recorded in a church. While the themed music videos (the Dickensian workhouse in "Wonderful World", the missing friend thing in "Lacrymosa", the monks in "Salve Regina"etc) were all nicely done and created a very neat effect to go along with the music, this much simpler approach is certainly appreciated as well. It allows us to enjoy the music and the performance of the singers without all of the thematic dressing-up.

This video was a pleasant way to start my day and has renewed COTB for me. I look very much forward to "Sing Lullaby".
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, I'm glad they managed to include new voices on the solo parts, like what was done with "Benedictus Deus". I don't know if it was intentional, but there was a noticeable contrast between Luca's more tense sounding introduction, and the relaxed sounding solo bits at the end of the piece. I like how Cassius's final note has a fermata instead of being in strict tempo like previous versions. Oliver's voice sounds just perfect for the part he did. As for the video, I don't have much to say. It's useful for identifying the soloists, but that's about it.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I found this video to be really uplifting and even moving :)
It's true that it's more in a concert style, I got the same sensation, basically, as from a live concert - this song is always an exciting one with lots of energy.
I think the simplicity of the video works really well with this song. The editor did a great job using all kinds of different shots to emphasise the dynamics of the song, therefore really making the song shine. I think putting in a kind of story would be "too much", as the song itself is already so lively and dynamic. All in all, a great video.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Agreed...usually not a fan of quick scene cuts and edits in some music videos but this video fits perfectly to the quick lively tempo of COTB...it was quite a challenge considering none of the boys actually moved. The camera crane/jib sweeping down the middle of the row was very effective. I'm guessing Sing Lullaby will be more slow pans & gentle zooms.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:13 pm">4 years ago</span> Agreed...usually not a fan of quick scene cuts and edits in some music videos but this video fits perfectly to the quick lively tempo of COTB...it was quite a challenge considering none of the boys actually moved. The camera crane/jib sweeping down the middle of the row was very effective. I'm guessing Sing Lullaby will be more slow pans & gentle zooms.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head here. This appears to be exactly what they have done.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I find both videos superbly made! Just as I love it: simply showing all the boys "at work" for us to appreciate them singing one by one and as a choir; no subjective story told, but all fantasy and interpretation of music and lyrics left to the listener.

In particular, I enjoy the Sing Lullaby video. The boys look immersed in the music, you see dedication and pleasure individually, and so watching this video is a pure enjoyment for me.

Regarding Carol of the Bells, its quick cuts and the driving of the camera correspond with the upbeat tempo and above all the inner tension of the song. Plus I like that the choreography prescinded from the sudden turn of the boys which they do live and which makes me wonder every time what that's for. :lol:

The beauty of the church, in both cases St Augustine’s church, Kilburn, does its own to contribute to my enjoyment of the videos.

Really happy here! :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
chris17

Post by chris17 »

I'm really enjoying both videos as well. I like that they put the focus on the actual music and the boys singing, and the church is beautiful as well. I've also really enjoyed some of their more thematic videos (e.g., Lacrymosa), and I wouldn't want them to stop making them altogether, but I also like just appreciating the music for what it is. It's nice to have some variety. :D

I'm glad they did do new solo recordings for the COTB video - I was wondering how they would handle those parts otherwise. I just wish the new recordings for COTB were actually on the CD, however. (The solo recordings in the video are not the same solos as on the CD - not sure who else picked up on that. The final solo is probably the most obviously different if anyone wants to compare, because the timing is noticeably different, in addition to the actual soloist being different.) I'm guessing the decision to make a music video for COTB must have come after all the recordings were already finished, or I'm assuming the new recordings would be on the CD as well.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Over 200k views for the CoTB video, avg, 33,000 views a day since uploaded last Thursday. Proof if ever needed that this 'festive' song has sailed from the 'classical' island into universal appeal with people not primarily rooted in 'Choral/Choir' music.... but then we knew that anyway :)
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:07 am">4 years ago</span> (The solo recordings in the video are not the same solos as on the CD - not sure who else picked up on that. The final solo is probably the most obviously different if anyone wants to compare, because the timing is noticeably different, in addition to the actual soloist being different.) I'm guessing the decision to make a music video for COTB must have come after all the recordings were already finished, or I'm assuming the new recordings would be on the CD as well.
Good catch! I didn't pick up on that at first but it's plain as day now. :shock: :roll:

My guess is that Sam Collins whose voice has now changed did both solo parts on the CD recording. Please correct me if I am wrong but both the the beginning and ending solos sound like they are from the same singer. In that case what they did was pretty clever. They likely went back into the studio and re-recorded just those solo parts and mixed them in with the existing track and used it exclusively for the video.

But the question remains: are both "ahhh ahhh" parts starting at 2:26 the same as on the CD? I would hazard a guess that Oliver WR did the same part on both the CD and the video; while Sam did the other? In that case the replacement by Neo makes sense too.

Again, I stand to be correct by those with better knowledge and a more discerning ear.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:07 am">4 years ago</span> I'm really enjoying both videos as well. I like that they put the focus on the actual music and the boys singing, and the church is beautiful as well. I've also really enjoyed some of their more thematic videos (e.g., Lacrymosa), and I wouldn't want them to stop making them altogether, but I also like just appreciating the music for what it is. It's nice to have some variety. :D

I'm glad they did do new solo recordings for the COTB video - I was wondering how they would handle those parts otherwise. I just wish the new recordings for COTB were actually on the CD, however. (The solo recordings in the video are not the same solos as on the CD - not sure who else picked up on that. The final solo is probably the most obviously different if anyone wants to compare, because the timing is noticeably different, in addition to the actual soloist being different.) I'm guessing the decision to make a music video for COTB must have come after all the recordings were already finished, or I'm assuming the new recordings would be on the CD as well.
I wonder why Libera Official put this in the video description if the COTB video is different from what was sung in the CD: Performed by LIBERA, from the 2019 album ‘Christmas Carols with Libera'
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:46 am">4 years ago</span> Good catch! I didn't pick up on that at first but it's plain as day now. :shock: :roll:

My guess is that Sam Collins whose voice has now changed did both solo parts on the CD recording. Please correct me if I am wrong but both the the beginning and ending solos sound like they are from the same singer. In that case what they did was pretty clever. They likely went back into the studio and re-recorded just those solo parts and mixed them in with the existing track and used it exclusively for the video.

But the question remains: are both "ahhh ahhh" parts starting at 2:26 the same as on the CD? I would hazard a guess that Oliver WR did the same part on both the CD and the video; while Sam did the other? In that case the replacement by Neo makes sense too.

Again, I stand to be correct by those with better knowledge and a more discerning ear.
Earlier on when the CD was first released, people were saying that the Carol of the Bells on the recent CD is taken from the 2016 album 'Libera At Christmas'. I listened to both and the soloists voices match to a tee. So the soloists will be Alex Montoro, Lucas Wood & Isaac London.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

It's actually from the Holiday EP from 2015 (the one that had Santa Will Find You), which might not be as familiar to people since it wasn't from a full album and I don't know if everyone even purchased it. But if you directly compare the two recordings, everything (including the soloists) sounds the same. I believe Isaac is the first and end soloist, but I don't remember who the middle soloists were. I think this is also why the soloists aren't listed in the program - it would have been a bit strange to have soloists listed for the song who aren't listed as part of the choir.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

The soloists named on the 2015 EP are Lucas Wood, Alex M and Isaac.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:37 am">4 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:46 am">4 years ago</span> Good catch! I didn't pick up on that at first but it's plain as day now. :shock: :roll:

Earlier on when the CD was first released, people were saying that the Carol of the Bells on the recent CD is taken from the 2016 album 'Libera At Christmas'. I listened to both and the soloists voices match to a tee. So the soloists will be Alex Montoro, Lucas Wood & Isaac London.
I stand corrected once more. Good catch! I went back and had a look at the soloists on this song from some past concerts and made my guesses on that basis, never thinking it was the same recording as before. Thanks for the information.