Public and Private

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

bamboo
Silver Member

Re: Public and Private

Post by bamboo »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:23 pm">3 years ago</span> Hi bamboo,

I think you need to communicate about this in private with the moderator who removed your posts. This topic is certainly a gray area and depends heavily on exactly what sort of information you are putting out as well as on moderator discretion on a case by case basis. I am not a moderator here but that is how matters like these are handled. There may also be some past history with regards to specific types and classifications of information which Libera fans have been asked not to share openly online by Libera management.

In all things we must be mindful that these are children who have a right to their privacy. For example, linking to Dominik's YouTube channel which exists under his full name and which features him singing is probably fine. No personal information is revealed, it is about music, and it is intended for the general public. But if he had a channel where, for example, he was livestreaming playing video games with his friends under a pseudonym, it would not be appropriate for that to be linked here. Between those two examples are many scenarios that are less black and white.

I do not believe that I could write for you an easy set of rules to cover all cases. Generally speaking if I had to give you a set of guidelines I would say that all of the following concerns should be satisfied in order for a Libera member's activities outside the choir to be posted here:
  • Is the activity related solely to music?
  • Is the information public? How public is it? Is it in a newspaper or TV show; or just on a single Facebook page by the boy's school?
  • Does the information identify the boy's school? This is one of the biggest concerns. In nearly all cases this sort of identification nullifies our right to post something here.
  • Is the information intended for the general public? Example: A person might have a "public" social media account but it is clearly meant for his/her friends and family.
  • Does the information in question lead to identifying anything in the boy's private life?
Thanks so much for replying to this thread! Thanks for the rough guidelines too, I think it'll help greatly. It's a pity though that if the information identified the boy's school, it should not be posted. They really have been doing some great singing out there and it'll also probably account for why certain members aren't on certain tours as they are involved in school choir tours too. That aside, I've got a database on Libera boys (https://liberaboyschoir.home.blog/) and if you do find any information in the database on current boys in the choir that could be too personal, please let me know so that I can take it down!

Btw, I did contact the person who removed my post but he (I'm guessing it's a he) did not reply back unfortunately. Hence, took to finding out more from others via this thread. :)