Public and Private

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Public and Private

Post by dani »

As Libera we are privileged to be able to take our music around the world, and we are so grateful for the interest and appreciation shown by our many supporters.

The boys devote a lot of their spare time to singing with Libera; they love what they do and take pride in it, so they are immensely rewarded by the warm response and attention they receive from our followers.

The performers of Libera also have very active lives outside of the group, which are entirely unrelated. They have their own families and friends, interests and schools. We are sure that everyone understands that as young children, their private and school lives need to remain separate from their Libera performances, and their personal worlds must not be confused with their public.

Most of our followers instinctively honour this, and do not attempt to contact the boys individually; or to post private information about the boys; or to publish news about, or discuss on line their school activities; or to assume that school or church/cathedral events can be regarded as opportunities to make a connection with the boys. Details such as where the they live, where they go to school and so forth, are understood by our supporters to be personal, and they know that any public discussion or posting of such information is not appropriate and could pose a risk to the safety of the boys or prove an embarrassment to them personally.

We wish to be able to continue to travel, perform and record as Libera, but everyone will understand that if ever it seemed that there was a threat to the safety of our boys, real or perceived, or to their comfort and well-being, it would be necessary to restrict and constrain the public activities and appearances of the group to the detriment of Libera’s future and the continued enjoyment of our many supporters.

Please continue to respect the boys’ privacy and encourage others to do so too.

I see Libera have done another post on respecting the boys privacy away from Libera.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Public and Private

Post by Surpinto »

I hope that nothing in particular has happened which triggered this reminder.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I had the same thought.
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

I agree. It could be someone has asked questions not knowing how things should be. I recall an American TV guy pressing one of 'our' boys for details of hi school. Fortunately the lad was wise enough to fend them off.

They are 'our' boys only when singing for us. The rest of their lives are private. I would just ask if anyone knows (or has heard) of anyone who innocently (or otherwise!! and it's this 'otherwise that is so worrying)) asked for the boys personal details let them know in no uncertain terms it's not acceptable.

Lets hope this is just a precaution on the part of the organisation.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

dani wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:04 pm">4 years ago</span>
As Libera we are privileged to be able to take our music around the world, and we are so grateful for the interest and appreciation shown by our many supporters.

The boys devote a lot of their spare time to singing with Libera; they love what they do and take pride in it, so they are immensely rewarded by the warm response and attention they receive from our followers.

The performers of Libera also have very active lives outside of the group, which are entirely unrelated. They have their own families and friends, interests and schools. We are sure that everyone understands that as young children, their private and school lives need to remain separate from their Libera performances, and their personal worlds must not be confused with their public.

Most of our followers instinctively honour this, and do not attempt to contact the boys individually; or to post private information about the boys; or to publish news about, or discuss on line their school activities; or to assume that school or church/cathedral events can be regarded as opportunities to make a connection with the boys. Details such as where the they live, where they go to school and so forth, are understood by our supporters to be personal, and they know that any public discussion or posting of such information is not appropriate and could pose a risk to the safety of the boys or prove an embarrassment to them personally.

We wish to be able to continue to travel, perform and record as Libera, but everyone will understand that if ever it seemed that there was a threat to the safety of our boys, real or perceived, or to their comfort and well-being, it would be necessary to restrict and constrain the public activities and appearances of the group to the detriment of Libera’s future and the continued enjoyment of our many supporters.

Please continue to respect the boys’ privacy and encourage others to do so too.
Where was this message originally posted?
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:51 am">4 years ago</span> Where was this message originally posted?
The message can be found on Libera's official web page. It was also referred to in one of their recent tweets.

https://libera.org.uk/about/public_and_private/
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Just wondering is this in reference to boys presently in Libera or both past and present boys? A lot of the boys who have moved on from Libera are often involved in other public events related and not related to school activities.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

The message has been there for a couple of years. It was valid in the past, is now and surely it will be in the future. It's a general one, very well expressed and getting directly to the point.

It's about protecting the children. It's Libera, which usually makes them "world famous". Though, they need their private, normal lives to remain normal kids. No matter what they do out of Libera, any of those activities shouldn't be discussed in public in relation to Libera, not to mention any public discussion about their private lives. They are young children, they must remain normal kids and not become any kind of celebrities.

As I understand this as a means to protect children, this may not fully apply to former Libera members who are adults now. However, they certainly appreciate respecting their privacy too.
Last edited by andmar on Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:36 pm">4 years ago</span> I hope that nothing in particular has happened which triggered this reminder.
I hope the same very much too.

I noticed, the "Public and Private" message on their web page has been slightly modified recently, which makes it even better and more accurate than before. I hope, that the only reason for drawing our attention back to this message recently, were the changes they had provided.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

My thoughts on this is that it relates to discussions on Twitter and Facebook around other choirs that some of the boys sing in or other school events - identifying the schools of the boys and discussing their non-Libera activities can make things difficult for Libera and might be seen by the families as crossing a line. I think we just all need to be aware that if it is taking place outside of Libera then we probably ought not to repost it and discuss it.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, it seems that some people on social media are either still not getting the message, or simply don't care. Anyways, it's probably good to distinguish between what could actually present a threat to Libera's members, and what is harmless.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

I've had a few of my posts taken down on Libera Dreams without any proper explanation but a reference to this private policy of which I've read many times. What is and isn't allowed to be posted on this forum? My latest post mentioned about Libera members being featured in the Schola Cantorum of The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School. After reading this by andmar, perhaps that post did violate the rule that you just set down there.
andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:25 am">4 years ago</span> The message has been there for a couple of years. It was valid in the past, is now and surely it will be in the future. It's a general one, very well expressed and getting directly to the point.

It's about protecting the children. It's Libera, which usually makes them "world famous". Though, they need their private, normal lives to remain normal kids. No matter what they do out of Libera, any of those activities shouldn't be discussed in public in relation to Libera, not to mention any public discussion about their private lives. They are young children, they must remain normal kids and not become any kind of celebrities.

As I understand this as a means to protect children, this may not fully apply to former Libera members who are adults now. However, they certainly appreciate respecting their privacy too.
However, there have been so many posts on different Libera members being featured in plays, choirs, recitals, YouTube channels (e.g. Dominik Clarke, Tadhg, Nathaniel Bates-Fisher, Stefan Leadbeater, Thomas Delgado-Little, just to name a few) and none of them have been taken down. There have also been threads about identifying former members of Libera, of which one of my post was taken down from there too. Is this gray matter and is my post submitted to the discretion of one single moderator or is there a line that can clearly be drawn? Would appreciate advice on this matter.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Hi bamboo,

I think you need to communicate about this in private with the moderator who removed your posts. This topic is certainly a gray area and depends heavily on exactly what sort of information you are putting out as well as on moderator discretion on a case by case basis. I am not a moderator here but that is how matters like these are handled. There may also be some past history with regards to specific types and classifications of information which Libera fans have been asked not to share openly online by Libera management.

In all things we must be mindful that these are children who have a right to their privacy. For example, linking to Dominik's YouTube channel which exists under his full name and which features him singing is probably fine. No personal information is revealed, it is about music, and it is intended for the general public. But if he had a channel where, for example, he was livestreaming playing video games with his friends under a pseudonym, it would not be appropriate for that to be linked here. Between those two examples are many scenarios that are less black and white.

I do not believe that I could write for you an easy set of rules to cover all cases. Generally speaking if I had to give you a set of guidelines I would say that all of the following concerns should be satisfied in order for a Libera member's activities outside the choir to be posted here:
  • Is the activity related solely to music?
  • Is the information public? How public is it? Is it in a newspaper or TV show; or just on a single Facebook page by the boy's school?
  • Does the information identify the boy's school? This is one of the biggest concerns. In nearly all cases this sort of identification nullifies our right to post something here.
  • Is the information intended for the general public? Example: A person might have a "public" social media account but it is clearly meant for his/her friends and family.
  • Does the information in question lead to identifying anything in the boy's private life?
justin

Post by justin »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:23 pm">3 years ago</span>
  • Is the activity related solely to music?
  • Is the information public? How public is it? Is it in a newspaper or TV show; or just on a single Facebook page by the boy's school?
  • Does the information identify the boy's school? This is one of the biggest concerns. In nearly all cases this sort of identification nullifies our right to post something here.
  • Is the information intended for the general public? Example: A person might have a "public" social media account but it is clearly meant for his/her friends and family.
  • Does the information in question lead to identifying anything in the boy's private life?
I agree with what Surpinto has expressed above. In my opinion though, I think the 'test' for what should or shouldn't be posted on this forum (which is accessible by the general public) is rather straightfoward:

If the information regarding the Libera member:
(1) was not previously publicly available and accessible; and/or
(2) it relates to his private life,

you should err on the side of caution and refrain from disclosing it here.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I agree with you, Justin, as well.

My expanded answer was not meant to complicate things but was a response to Bamboo's request for more specific guidance regarding posting information that is public, relates to music, but which identifies a boy's school.