New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by filiarheni »

Some hours ago, Yumiko has tweeted the release date for the upcoming Christmas CD:

"Release date:Oct 16th 2019
Title:Christmas of/from Libera
(Christmas album)
Label:Sony music solutions
Catalog No:LIBE12
Price:¥3240
Pretty sure this is Japan ver."

:D

That's five days before their first concert in Tokyo on 21st October.

(Edit by FdL : the speculations talks about that CD have been moved here.)
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: New Christmas CD in 2019

Post by Surpinto »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:00 am">4 years ago</span> Some hours ago, Yumiko has tweeted the release date for the upcoming Christmas CD:

"Release date:Oct 16th 2019
Title:Christmas of/from Libera
(Christmas album)
Label:Sony music solutions
Catalog No:LIBE12
Price:¥3240
Pretty sure this is Japan ver."

:D

That's five days before their first concert in Tokyo on 21st October.
Thanks for the update! As always the new CD release is meant to coincide with their tour to Japan as per the music deal they appear to have over there.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by fan_de_LoK »

► Show Spoiler

Edit 1 : September 18th : Full and final information are published by the Libera Records site.
It reveals the art cover and the detailed tracks list, with all credits and soloists.

Edit 2 : September 27 : firsts information about the Western version emerge.
Scroll down :wink:

------------------------------------

Surprises : the CD now has 20 tracks (17 + 3 bonus) instead of the 18 announced 2 months earlier.
The two added tracks are 'Walking In The Air' and 'O little town of Bethlehem'.

Link to the official announce on Libera Records website :
https://libera-records.com/discography/libe-0012

1. The angel Gabriel
    Music – Traditional Arranged – Robert Prizeman
    Words – Traditional – English paraphrase – Sabine Baring–Gould
    Solo – Victor Wiggin

2. In dulci jubilo
    Words – Traditional

3. Do you hear what I hear
    Music – Gloria Shayne Arranged – Robert Prizeman
    Words – Noel Regney

4. In the bleak mid–winter
    Music – Gustav Holst
    Words – Christina Rossetti Arranged – Robert Prizeman
    Solo – Dominik Clarke

5. Ding dong merrily on high
    Music – Traditional Arranged – Sam Coates
    Words – George Woodward

6. Sing lullaby(The infant King)
    Words – Sabine Baring–Gould
    Solo – Dominik Clarke

7. I saw three ships
    Words – Traditional

8. Walking in the air
    Music – Howard Blake Arranged – Robert Prizeman
    Words – Howard Blake
    Solo – Luca Brugnoli

9. Once in royal David’s city
    Music – Henry Gauntlett Arranged – Robert Prizeman
    Words – Cecil Frances Alexander
    Solos – Victor Wiggin, Daniel White & Mathias Montoro

10. Carol of the bells
    Music – M Leontovych  Arranged – Robert Prizeman

11. O little town of Bethlehem
    Music – Lewis Redner Arranged – Robert Prizeman
    Words – Phillips Brooks Tune ‘St Louis’
    Solo – Oliver Watt–Rodriguez

12. Poor little Jesus
    Words – Traditional
    Solo – Luca Brugnoli

13. Noël nouvelet
    Words – Traditional
    Solos – Victor Wiggin, Oliver Watt–Rodriguez & Neo Parson

14. Silent night
    Music – Franz Gruber Arranged – Robert Prizeman
    Words – Joseph Mohr
    Solos – Luca Brugnoli, Benedict Bywater, Mathias Montoro, Victor Wiggin & Dominik Clarke

15. What child is this
    Words – William Chatterton Dix
    Solos – Daniel White & Benedict Bywater

16. Wexford carol
    Words – Traditional (Carúl Loch Garman)
    Solo – Tadhg Fitzgerald

17. Gaudete
    Words – Traditional
    Solo – Samuel–Francis Collins

18. 明日へ~for the future
    Music, Words & Produced – Seiji Kameda Arranged – Robert Prizeman
    Solos – Oliver Watt–Rodriguez, Daniel White, Koji Shinokubo, Oliver Mycka, Mathias Montoro & Victor Wiggin

19. ヘッドライト・テールライト(ヴォカリーズ)/ Headlight Taillight (Vocalise)
    TBS系日曜劇場『下町ロケット』劇中歌)
    Music – Miyuki Nakajima Arranged – Takayuki Hattori & Robert Prizeman

20. 天使のくれた奇跡/Angel
    Music – Takatsugu Muramatsu Arranged – Takatsugu Muramatsu & Robert Prizeman
    Words – Robert Prizeman
    Solo – Isaac London
(Tracks 18, 19 and 20 are bonuses specific to the Japanese edition)

---------------------

September 27th :
Thanks to Aoba who reported it on twitter, we now know the Western version release date, tracks list and cover :)

The album will be named "Christmas Carols With Libera".
It will be released on Friday November 15th.
It has 17 tracks, the same as for the Japanese version, not in the same order though.

01. In dulci jubilo
02. Walking in the air
03. Ding dong merrily on high
04. In the bleak mid-winter
05. Noël nouvelet
06. Once in royal David’s city
07. I saw three ships
08. What child is this (Greensleeves)
09. Sing lullaby (The infant King)
10. Carol of the bells
11. Wexford carol
12. O little town of Bethlehem
13. The angel Gabriel
14. Poor little Jesus
15. Gaudete
16. Silent night
17. Do you hear what I hear?

As for the recent previous CDs, the label is IHM (Invisible Hands Music)
Reference is IHCD89

So far only two sites mention the album, and only with one small image :
- Amazon.co.uk
- Plastichead
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Wow, around the time of Libera's US tour, all these details arrive in parallel and furthermore on the supposedly hottest day of the year over here - really cool(ing) information! :mrgreen: Thank you, fan_de_LoK, for posting the list. :D

I expect and would love to hear the same soloists as we saw in Brighton and Arundel. Which means:

In the Bleak Midwinter - Dominik
I Saw Three Ships - no solo
In Dulci Jubilo - no solo
Carol of the Bells - Cassius?
Wexford Carol - Tadhg
Poor Little Jesus - Luca (? Can it be ...?
Gaudete - Sam

How about Silent Night and Once in Royal David's City? The first was presented as a sextet in concert, the second as an octet in that show. Do you think Robert would put such a reduced line-up twice on one and the same album? Or will it rather be the case for Silent Night only, while Once in Royal David's City is extended, including solos, but with the whole choir participating in the song?

I'm very happy that there are more songs than I expected ... the other side of the medal is more work with a possible review though. :shock:

So the next exciting question is: When is the international version going to be released?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you fan_de_LoK for the update. I am surprised by the track list as there are so many songs which Libera has never recorded before as Angel Voices or otherwise; 6 it would seem.

01 - Angel Gabriel
I assume that it is this song, but maybe there are other versions/melodies? This has never been recorded by Libera.

02 - Do You Hear What I Hear
This was previously recorded on the Angel Voices 3 album.

03 - In the bleak mid-winter
This song was also on the Angel Voices 3 album.

04 - I Saw Three Ships
Sung in the UK. I look forward to hearing about it after everyone at this forum raved about this song! :D

05 - Noel Nouvelet
In searching for this song it sounds very familiar but I can't place the tune. But I think that this link gives as close to a rendition as we'll likely hear from Libera minus the men's voice. This piece has never been recorded by Libera.

06 - Silent Night
Beautifully sung by Libera and recorded many times on the Angel Voices , Angel Voices 3, Libera: Angel Voices, Christmas in Ireland, Libera at Christmas albums.

07 - In Dulci Jubilo
Same as above, recorded multiple times. A very upbeat rendition - always welcome. It is featured on Angel Voices 3, The Christmas Album, and Christmas in Ireland.

08 - Carol of the Bells
By far their most popular YouTube video with nearly 8 million views! It is included on Christmas in Ireland, Angel and Santa Will Find You EP's, and Libera at Christmas.

09 - Wexford Carol
This is one of my personal top favorites of Libera's music and so a new version is always welcome! I assume Tadhg will be singing the solo as per the most recent live performance of this song. There were two distinct recordings made with the both recordings sung by Isaac as the soloist. The first recording was on Christmas in Ireland and the second with a longer solo and with a verse in Gaelic was on Libera at Christmas and Santa Will Find You. I am looking forward to hearing a new voice on this piece.

10 - Once in Royal David's city
This was sung on Angel Voices 3 and The Christmas Album but a recent television broadcast had Victor singing the solo.

11 - Sing Lullabye
Could it be this song? This is also a new song for Libera.

12 - Poor Little Jesus
A new one for Libera this is probably the song performed at their most recent UK concert.

13 - Ding Dong merrily
I'm surprised by this song being included. While I do like this song it has been recorded time and time again by many (particular English) choirs for Christmas albums. That does not mean I am against it, no at all, only that I am hoping it will stand out in some way from the rest. If not I am still sure it will be very well done.

14 - Gaudete
Another Libera standard featured on Angel Voices 2, Angel Voices 3, Luminosa Eternal, The Christmas Album, Christmas in Ireland

15 - What child is this(Greensleeves)
First and only recording of this is on Christmas in Ireland with a solo by Isaac. I wonder if there will be a new soloist on the recording. Interested to hear this one.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Not a bad line up, I'm particularly pleased by 'What Child Is This' because that was one of my favourites from Armagh and much underrated in my opinion.
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:39 pm">4 years ago</span>
01 - Angel Gabriel
I assume that it is this song, but maybe there are other versions/melodies? This has never been recorded by Libera.

11 - Sing Lullabye
Could it be this song? This is also a new song for Libera.

13 - Ding Dong merrily
I'm surprised by this song being included. While I do like this song it has been recorded time and time again by many (particular English) choirs for Christmas albums. That does not mean I am against it, no at all, only that I am hoping it will stand out in some way from the rest. If not I am still sure it will be very well done.
That version of Angel Gabriel is one i have heard sung at St P's I think & the versions of Sing Lullabye and Ding Dong Merrily are indeed the most usual versions sung by choirs I suspect that we might have some interesting new arrangements to look forward to. The rework of 'Three Ships' was unexpected and, in my opinion, completely fabulous.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:39 pm">4 years ago</span> 05 - Noel Nouvelet
In searching for this song it sounds very familiar but I can't place the tune. But I think that this link gives as close to a rendition as we'll likely hear from Libera minus the men's voice.
I hope it goes more in this spheric direction.

This version is also interesting.

These three arrangements are already different enough to cause highest curiousity what Robert - or Sam Coates? - will have made out of the song. And I like it a lot, had never heard it before.

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 pm">4 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:39 pm">4 years ago</span>
01 - Angel Gabriel
I assume that it is this song, but maybe there are other versions/melodies?
That version of Angel Gabriel is one i have heard sung at St P's I think
Yes, this one was sung at the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. Also a very beautiful song.

I wonder if they will have recorded a new version of In Dulci Jubilo.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'm happy to see "The Angel Gabriel" on the track list. The David Wilcox arrangement has some lovely harmonies, but there are a couple other "a cappella" arrangements that I prefer. For something quite different, here's a version featuring a band that usually does contemporary Christian music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ5wmFi9sfA
I think the instrumentation is quite effective, and I like how it becomes more lively at the 2:35 mark. I'm wondering if "Noel Nouvelet" will feature any verses in French, and maybe feature a soloist of French lineage. As for "Carol of the Bells", I wonder if the arrangement will be similar to what they did before, or if it will be something quite different. Like Yorkie, I'm happy to see "What Child is This" again. I wonder if Daniel will be featured in this one since he's already done other solos previously performed by Isaac.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I am hoping they can do something in the same vain of Noel N and Kings as I love their version.

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 pm">4 years ago</span> Not a bad line up, I'm particularly pleased by 'What Child Is This' because that was one of my favourites from Armagh and much underrated in my opinion.
I agree. I loved that song even though I only seem to come back to it occasionally. But every time I do happen to listen to it, it's always a treat.
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 pm">4 years ago</span> That version of Angel Gabriel is one i have heard sung at St P's I think & the versions of Sing Lullabye and Ding Dong Merrily are indeed the most usual versions sung by choirs I suspect that we might have some interesting new arrangements to look forward to. The rework of 'Three Ships' was unexpected and, in my opinion, completely fabulous.
Hear hear!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:52 pm">4 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:39 pm">4 years ago</span> 05 - Noel Nouvelet
In searching for this song it sounds very familiar but I can't place the tune. But I think that this link gives as close to a rendition as we'll likely hear from Libera minus the men's voice.
I hope it goes more in this spheric direction.

This version is also interesting.

These three arrangements are already different enough to cause highest curiousity what Robert - or Sam Coates? - will have made out of the song. And I like it a lot, had never heard it before.
Very nice performances and, yes, the arrangement can make all the difference!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:52 pm">4 years ago</span> I wonder if they will have recorded a new version of In Dulci Jubilo.
I am certain that they have. The last time they did it they were under contract with Warner.
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 pm">4 years ago</span> Like Yorkie, I'm happy to see "What Child is This" again. I wonder if Daniel will be featured in this one since he's already done other solos previously performed by Isaac.
Very logical conclusion about the possible soloist although it is always anybody's guess!
dani wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:03 am">4 years ago</span> I am hoping they can do something in the same vain of Noel N and Kings as I love their version.

That arrangement relies heavily on men's voices, something that Libera (or rather its past incarnations before they took on the Libera name) has not done on an album since the 1980's. If they do it would be really cool! :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

[quote=Surpinto post_id=54549

[url=
dani wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:03 am">4 years ago</span> I am hoping they can do something in the same vain of Noel N and Kings as I love their version.

That arrangement relies heavily on men's voices, something that Libera (or rather its past incarnations before they took on the Libera name) has not done on an album since the 1980's. If they do it would be really cool! :D
[/quote]

Well they need to mix it up but a bit but I’m sure they can do something.

I will make one slight complaint here but I don’t get the point of Carol of the Bells or Dulci again.

They have been done to death by the group and it’s not like they are even improving the songs. If they were doing a new spin on them it would be slightly more acceptable but it’s more than likely going to be the same old same old. So I wish they could add in something new as so many Christmas tunes to pick from.

I am excited for some of the others songs but I just wanted to put that out there as Carol of the Bells has been on the last 3 Christmas albums. I know it’s popular but even so it’s over kill and lacks imagination.

ETA - I can add in Gaudete in to that mix as well.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Noel Nouvelet seems pretty french to me. I say they need to come and sing it in Paris :D No choice now.

Also, I suggested "Ding dong Merrily on High" when we discussed about the Christmas album on the french fan website ! Funny, no ?
chris17

Post by chris17 »

In searching for this song it sounds very familiar but I can't place the tune. But I think that this link gives as close to a rendition as we'll likely hear from Libera minus the men's voice. This piece has never been recorded by Libera.
The tune is also used for Now the Green Blade Rises, an Easter song. :D I'm really looking forward to hearing Libera's rendition of Noel Nouvelet, as I've always enjoyed this piece. I hope they put their own twist on it.

I'm also really looking forward to the other previously unrecorded songs, as well as the ones which haven't been recorded since Angel Voices. :D And the more recent songs will be interesting to hear with a new line of soloists. :) It seems like a good mix of songs overall.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:29 am">4 years ago</span>
The tune is also used for Now the Green Blade Rises, an Easter song. :D I'm really looking forward to hearing Libera's rendition of Noel Nouvelet, as I've always enjoyed this piece. I hope they put their own twist on it.

I'm also really looking forward to the other previously unrecorded songs, as well as the ones which haven't been recorded since Angel Voices. :D And the more recent songs will be interesting to hear with a new line of soloists. :) It seems like a good mix of songs overall.
I knew I had heard it before in English and I'm pretty sure that's it! Thank you. :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

It sounds a million times better in French than English imo