New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by TullyBascombe »

Perhaps someone will post a video of "Sing Lullaby" on YouTube?
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

In addition to "Sing Lullabye", it seems Libera will sing "Carol of the Bells" ! The 15th of december.

See here :
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

There is a good chance 'Libera' will get clearance to show their upcoming Christmas videos recently filmed for the BBC... they have shown a preview of their latest video for 'Carol of the Bells'...

'Sing Lullabye' is not commissioned by 'Songs of Praise' but hopefully it will fall in line with the current BBC/Libera relationship.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
chris17

Post by chris17 »

The video looks promising, but it seems a bit odd to film a new video with an old recording. I wonder if they will re-record the solos for the video, at least?
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:09 am">4 years ago</span> The video looks promising, but it seems a bit odd to film a new video with an old recording. I wonder if they will re-record the solos for the video, at least?
I was wondering about that myself. It would be nice if they did re-record the solos, although I wouldn't count on it. I don't know if it was Robert's decision to do this, because I don't believe he's involved with "Songs of Praise" like he used to be. The people running that show may have decided that they wanted to feature Libera's most popular song, even if it wasn't a new recording.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, The Times has published an article featuring reviews of multiple Christmas albums, including Libera's Christmas album. I suppose it's not too surprising considering their recent article about Libera. I'm not a subscriber and I don't want to sign up for a free trial subscription, so I couldn't read past the first few lines. Anyways, the album was rated four out of five stars. I like how Libera is the first review of the article.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/clas ... -clfb82pg7
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:30 am">4 years ago</span> Well, The Times has published an article featuring reviews of multiple Christmas albums, including Libera's Christmas album. I suppose it's not too surprising considering their recent article about Libera. I'm not a subscriber and I don't want to sign up for a free trial subscription, so I couldn't read past the first few lines. Anyways, the album was rated four out of five stars. I like how Libera is the first review of the article.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/clas ... -clfb82pg7
It will be interesting to read the full review although I suspect it won't go on for too much longer than what has been shown considering they are reviewing other albums. It's very favourable but I wouldn't agree with the 'over-sweetened' tag (although just branded on the 'purest' audience). Maybe on previous albums this could be an issue but not this time. I think the instrumentals and vocals are intimate in passages and the balance is just right.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Good find - I posted a photo on Twitter

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Egorbea2018

CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Christmas Carols with Libera
My Review

Just got my cd this week. Sorry, it is a bit long. This is a sensational music cd from Libera. It shows that every single Libera boy has extraordinary musical talent. It amazes me how Mr. Prizeman can perceive the boy’s greatness even before their musical abilities are developed. There are many amazing Libera soloists in this group. I wish every song had a different soloist so we could have a lasting legacy for each boy. Maybe some of the soloists not featured will have their own music video on YouTube before their imminent voice change (there is wishing). My favorite song is Noel Nouvelet and my favorite solo is on Walking in the Air.

1. in Dulci Jubilo

Ever since the Christmas in Ireland Dvd I have liked this song. Libera’s version is lively and happy. This is a great song to start the cd and get us excited. The instrumental and choral parts are both stunning. There is a new Ahh section between the third and fourth verse. You can hear the lower voices towards the end of the song. I wonder who does the high descant.

2. Walking in the Air
Solo – Luca Brugnoli

When the YouTube video was released I immediately loved it. I could not stop playing it and it remained in my head the rest of the day. I had the same reaction to In Paradisum when it was released. Luca Brugnoli is magnificent in his solo. He basically sings the whole song by himself. There are parts in the refrain where someone harmonizes with him but he is not credited on the cd. Luca Brugnoli’s clear, powerful voice, is so perfect and breathtaking. I can see him flying with the snowman. Libera’s dazzling ah harmonies in between verses are so beautiful they give me goosebumps every time. I had never heard this song before, but I like it more every time I play it. I know it is from the Snowman movie from 1982 a classic animated film from England. I found some other singers from the past. From what I read, Aled Jones is the one that made it famous but was not the original singer. Of those three below, I prefer Andrew Johnston but Luca Brugnoli is a mile above them all. He is only 9 years old. Imagine what he will sound like when he is 12! Last year we were saying the same about Daniel White (more on him later).

Aled Jones in 1985

Liam O’Kane – Angel Voices 3 Album

Andrew Johnston in 2009

3. Ding dong merrily on high
Very fast paced song, hard to understand what they are saying. The boys probably enjoy it.

4. In the Bleak Mid-Winter
Solo – Dominik Clarke

The first three verses are one glorious harmony after another. This is another song made better by Libera. Dominik Clarke does his solo with great feeling in the fourth verse. His gorgeous voice is gentle, but intense and mature. His verse was short but he puts his whole self into it. You can still hear him above the rest when the rest of Libera joins him. According to the Libera Passion website, Dominik Clarke joined Libera in 2018. Unlike most Libera soloists who start as mini boys, Dominik Clarke seems to have been trained before joining Libera. The first time I head this song was on Doctor Who on the Christmas episode. I believe the singer is Katherine Jenkins.

Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol episode

5. Noel Nouvelet
Solos - Victor Wiggin, Oliver Watt–Rodriguez & Neo Parson

WOW! This is a fantastic arrangement by former Libera singer Sam Coates who is a director too. This is my favourite song on this cd. I think I will be playing it even after Christmas. This is Libera’s mainly English translation of a French song. Victor Wiggin is outstanding in this song. Victor starts the first verse in French, by himself, almost a Capella (Our French fans can comment if his pronunciation is correct. It sounds right to me, but I am American). The choir joins in the second verse with brilliant harmonies. The music is minimal on certain sections to emphasize the harmonies. It builds up and becomes more intense. High voices only, half way on verse three when they say “as when the sun does blaze on break of day”. Then starts a very beautiful high descant (concert goers might know who). The third verse is near a Capella with the fabulous duet of Oliver Watt-Rodriguez and Neo Parson. Now comes the grand finale with a key change. Who does the amazing high descant? Victor Wiggin does the final Noel in French.

6. Once in Royal David’s City
Solos - Victor Wiggin, Daniel White, Mathias Montoro

Victor Wiggin starts by himself. I just love his raspy voice. He is just phenomenal and his smiley face in the video is just a plus. The fantastic Daniel White joins in with high harmonies. Mathias Montoro comes next and then the rest of the boys. In the video there are just eight boys. In the video we have Laurence Taylor, John Gardner, Koji Shinokubo, Alexandre Menuet and Ben Wevill (left Libera before the cd recording). I wonder how many sang it in the cd. It sound like the whole choir.

Official Libera video

7. I Saw Three Ships
I have not heard this song in concert but I imagine the boys have a lot of fun singing it. It is fast paced, upbeat, and fun. It has beautiful harmonies throughout and a spectacular ending. Below I put Nat King Cole’s much slower version and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir’s version. They are both good but Libera is great.

Nat King Cole

Mormon Tabernacle Choir

8. What Child is This
Duet – Daniel White & Benedict Bywater

Daniel White starts the first verse alone with his smooth, mature voice and Benedict Bywater joins him in the second verse with beautiful harmonies. The rest of the song is sung by all Libera. This solo was last done by Isaac London with harmonies by Jude Collins. Daniel White seems to get picked for songs previously done by Isaac London like this one, Angel, and Prayer. He has the voice maturity of a boy much older than he is. Daniel White was the musical prodigy for 2018 when he surprised us with his performance of Prayer. He continues to bring his best ability to his singing. He is confident and has great stage presence. Benedict Bywater should have his own solo before he becomes a tenor, he is 13. Some of you have been lucky to hear him solo in concert but those of us that cannot travel to concerts are missing out. It would be wonderful if Libera released a video of Benedict Bywater doing a solo in concert (any song). He was brilliant in Nearer my God to thee but it is not a solo.

Duet Isaac London and Jude Collins – Christmas in Ireland Cd

9. Sing Lullaby (The Infant King)
Solo – Dominik Clarke

The song is very peaceful and tender. Dominik Clark is incredible in his sweet solo. He can still hit those high notes with ease and great control. You can see the intensity in his face. He is very comfortable in his solo and he shows a singing maturity beyond his years. But of course, Libera singers sing like seasoned professionals. Libera released a gorgeous video of this song. The boys are all looking up. See link below. The comments are still off. Great arrangement by Sam Coates.

Official Libera video

10. Carol of the Bells
Solos – Luca Brugnoli, Neo Parson, Oliver Watt-Rodriguez, Cassius Collard

None of the soloists are credited on the cd. Weird. I love this song! It makes me happy. Libera released a beautiful video with the new soloists. Luca Brugnoli starts the song by himself and then is joined by the choir. All the exceptional harmonies from the Ireland version are still there sung by a new group of amazing singers. In this video we can see who does the brilliant solos at the end of the song. Neo Parson and Oliver Watt-Rodriguez are excellent in their solos (done by Lucas Wood and the legendary Thomas Delgado-Little in Ireland). Cassius O’Connell-White did the final ding dong in Ireland. It is very fitting to have a new Cassius (Collard) do it in the current version. In the Christmas in Ireland version, watch how the boys become the bells.

Official Libera video

Christmas in Ireland dvd

11. Wexford Carol
Solo – Tadhg Fitzgerald

Tadhg Fitzgerald does two solo verses in Gaelic in the middle of the song. When Isaac London did the solo for the Christmas in Ireland DVD he started the song by himself in Gaelic and did only Tadhg’s first verse. The choir did the other verses in English. This is a very old Irish song. Tadgh Fitzgerald has a soothing, gentle, tender voice so appropriate for this song. His longer solo gives us a chance to enjoy his unique, impressive voice. Of Libera’s Christmas songs, this is among my favourites. This song enchanted me the first time I heard it in the Ireland version.

Isaac London – Christmas in Ireland

12. O Little Town of Bethlehem
Solo – Oliver Watt-Rodriguez

Oliver Watt-Rodriguez gets better every time he sings. He starts all by himself. He is so precise and perfect. Beautiful harmonies join in. It is funny how he pronounces Bethlehem at the beginning of the song. I like how the music gets softer so we can enjoy the boy’s voices better. This is a great long solo for Oliver Watt-Rodriguez where we can witness his great talent. He can do low and high notes with ease. I found this very old video of Aled Jones singing with Libera. Aled Jones completely changed the song.

Aled Jones with Libera

13. The Angel Gabriel
Solo – Victor Wiggin

Gloria harmonies at the beginning of the song. Victor Wiggin starts the first verse alone. His voice is sweet, smooth, and gentle. Music is soft throughout. In the second verse the whole choir sings. Victor starts the third verse and is joined by all on the second half. You can hear the lower voices at the end of the song. The arrangement for this song is not elaborate like Noel Nouvelet or Carol of the Bells. Its simplicity makes it beautiful and soulful. This song is a hymn about the Annunciation as written in the Gospel of Luke 1:26-38.

14. Poor Little Jesus
Solo – Luca Brugnoli

This is an old African American spiritual. Libera’s version is outstanding. It starts very softly and on the third verse it gets louder as the glorious Libera harmonies lift your soul up. This is a powerful song and for me deeply emotional. I was lucky to see it in concert in the USA tour and it is spectacular. Luca Brugnoli ends the song with his shinning, clear voice. Below is another choir, not as good as Libera. You can hear the difference.

Baylor choir

15. Gaudete
Solo – Samuel Francis Collins

This was my very first Libera song ever, the Adam Harris version. I have not been a fan very long. I found Libera in 2016. I like Gaudete no matter who the soloist is. So many Libera boys have done solos on this song. A few I found are: Samuel Coates, Adam Harris, Liam Connery, and Matthew Jansen. Samuel Francis Collins joins this group of excellent soloists and does not disappoint. His voice is clear and beautiful. The music is a little weird for me in the beginning. It is always a fun song. I see in the reviews that Benedict Bywater did the solo at the Christmas concert. Is Samuel Francis Collins in the tenor line now?

Solo – Adam Harris

16. Silent Night
Solos – Luca Brugnoli, Benedict Bywater, Mathias Montoro, Victor Wiggin, and Dominik Clarke

This song is A cappella. Luca Brugnoli starts by himself and then Benedict Bywater joins him in harmonies (I am assuming they do since you said so in your concert reviews). In the third verse all boys join in astonishingly, breathtaking harmonies. It must be a real treat to hear this song performed live. This Libera version has renewed this old hymn for me. The singers that had solos before include: Thomas Delgado-Little, Alexander Montoro, and a duet by Edward Day and Thomas Cully. I think Benedict Bywater deserves a solo recording by himself or at least a video. He is usually the harmony part in duets but has never had a solo recording. He has done solos in concert but I would like him filmed or recorded before his tenor voice takes over.

Solo – Thomas Delgado-Little

17. Do You Hear What I Hear?

This is a sensational Libera performance. A great ending to a spectacular album. It so cool how they do the call and response with beautiful harmonies bathed in the lovely lower voices. This is a delightful tune and Libera makes it better. As they raise the volume it is exciting and inspiring at the same time and it ends with a rousing Libera finale.

Thank you Libera, Mr. Robert Prizeman, and all the staff that makes this wonderful music possible.
Happy Advent and Merry Christmas to all!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

What a fun review to read, Egorbea. The additional music links are cool because they give a concrete baseline to your points of comparison. Glad you finally got your album and are enjoying it fully! I agree with many of your points about the songs and singers.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:48 pm">4 years ago</span> In addition to "Sing Lullabye", it seems Libera will sing "Carol of the Bells" ! The 15th of december.

See here :
Just wondering, is the new video by Libera for Carol of the Bells the same one as what was aired on the 15th of December? Did anyone watch?
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:36 pm">4 years ago</span>Just wondering, is the new video by Libera for Carol of the Bells the same one as what was aired on the 15th of December? Did anyone watch?
It's exactly the same video from Songs of Praise, and it will likely be the same for 'Sing Lullaby' on Dec 25. It marks a interesting change from usual practice, by allowing 'Libera' to host the full video on their social media channels prior to the actual broadcast.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:34 am">4 years ago</span>
bamboo wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:36 pm">4 years ago</span>Just wondering, is the new video by Libera for Carol of the Bells the same one as what was aired on the 15th of December? Did anyone watch?
It's exactly the same video from Songs of Praise, and it will likely be the same for 'Sing Lullaby' on Dec 25. It marks a interesting change from usual practice, by allowing 'Libera' to host the full video on their social media channels prior to the actual broadcast.
I think the difference here is that the video was not produced by SoP or BBC, but by Libera itself; so it naturally follows that they would retain all rights to it. Or am I mistaken on that?
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:24 am">4 years ago</span> I think the difference here is that the video was not produced by SoP or BBC, but by Libera itself; so it naturally follows that they would retain all rights to it. Or am I mistaken on that?
Not 100% sure, but I think the host broadcaster would retain the rights on how their media is shared and distributed. The whole thing with the licence fee and BBC iplayer which allows catch-up for those licence fee payers may also bear weight. However either way, it benefits Libera.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Finally got round to writing a review :) (edit: the order of songs in my review follows the Japanese edition)

This is a generous album, spanning the breadth of Christmas choral music and the meaning of Christmas from a Christian perspective. Apart from the singing I love the musical accompaniment, orchestral and very rich. This is a really strong album and one of my absolute favourites - a pity that I won't feel like listening to it outside of the season... :wink:

The angel Gabriel
Thematically a great song to start the album with, as it tells of the annunciation of Jesus’ birth. Distant Gloria’s already hint at the angels singing in the sky above the shepherds, but first Victor invites us to Nazareth, where Gabriel salutes Mary. The flute, an instrument featured throughout the album (and one I tend to associate with Christmas) is also introduced.
The melody of this Basque original is captivating, with a hint of a deep and glorious mystery.

In dulci jubilo
More flutes feature in this song of quiet joy and longing. Its lyrical lines revolve like tinsel around the tree and candle light reflected in the decorations.

Do you hear what I hear?
The proper start of the album, in my perception. (I am used to Christmas Eve services having a short introductory part of carols before the actual service starts, so it is not strange for me to have a Christmas album starting properly at the third song :)). Why do I feel this way? Because at the concerts this was the opening song. I remember the boys entering the stage and the sensation of the concert starting whenever I hear this song. It is a perfect opening song, starting with a single voice, slowly building and ending with an enormous, glorious finale, leaving me with a sense of awe and perhaps some moistness around the lower eyelids. The orchestral arrangement reminds me of Sancte (edit: I can hear brass instruments in there, but they are not listed in the credits).

Following this are four songs that continually contrast each other. Two quiet ballads and two festive carols.

In the bleak midwinter
This song contains probably my favourite musical moment on the entire album: the ever so subtle descant for ‘cherubim’. It is also the song that (usually) moves me the deepest. The musical intro, which sets the mood, is enough to evoke the emotions attached to this song. I cannot escape them, even when I just focus my thoughts in silence on this song, the arrangement and the lyrics, I can get teary-eyed and choked up. Add to this the memories of watching Dominik step forward to deliver his solo, it is almost overwhelming.
Dominik is a perfect soloist for this song. His sincerity is so precious with a faint sense of tragedy in his voice to match the pleading words. We are incredibly lucky to have him on this recording.

Ding dong merrily on high
A dazzling, bouncing, tinkling, cheerful and contagious feast for the ears. The contrast with In the bleak midwinter is almost too big, too sudden. But it does win me over, usually, as the song goes on. It’s pretty irresistible :) I love the tinkling instrument!

Sing lullaby
A real favourite of mine, partly because it encapsulates the Christian faith in one quiet ballad, like a pocket cross you can carry around, as the words follow the infant king from his birth to his passion, death and resurrection. The reference to 'the cross, the nails, the piercing' is startling, a sensation redeemed by the descant in the final verse, proclaiming how death is conquered.
Another reason it’s such a favourite is the emotional connection to hearing the song on the Japan tour. I heard it for the first time live in Tokyo and immediately it made an impression. The second night I was impressed by Dominik’s delivery of the entire phrase of his solo, ending on those low notes of the word ‘weeping’ (a beautiful example of word painting). In Osaka a tear rolled down my cheek after Dominik’s solo. On the album Dominik’s voice is extremely friendly sounding, enveloped in a velvet sheen. In concert, his solo carried more pathos and colour, perhaps brought about by the element of creating a live interpretation. Dominik truly sings from the heart.
His solo is not the only moving part of the song, though, it is the whole of the song that is so moving and brilliant. Like a quiet reflection on all that it took to bring about man’s salvation as seen in the Christian tradition. Dominik simply speaks on behalf of the entire group and anyone who in heart and mind joins their singing. The quietness of reverence in front of the crib, like Still, still, still did on the previous Christmas album – the lush strings add to this comparison. The difference is the build-up of the song, connected to the content of the lyrics. I love how the different parts slide over each other, like clouds in front of the moon. The song ends on a reassuring chord, the infant king is not - yet - disturbed.

I saw three ships
Plenty has already been written about this sensational arrangement since it premiered in Brighton. I’m happy it was recorded in a way that captures its continuous forward energy. The percussion starts off the dance, the voices take over the rhythm and the strings add to the tension. The dramatic nature of the song is lightened by the la la la’s – I think it proves the brilliance of the arrangement that they can sing la la la without sounding cheap. Instead they sound unstoppable :)
Flutes announce the bridge, later joined by a harp and a vocalise – light, floating sounds, filling the song like a rich Christmas treat. I also enjoy the generous finale, which works especially well when this is sung as an encore – the way it postpones the actual end of the song for a few bars, until the cleverly simple closing line, landing the swirling song (swirling like a ship on the waves of the sea) in the calming, clear light of day.

Walking in the air
Simply out of this world in its beauty. Luca’s voice is rich, taking on the long lines so impressively and the harmonies are just enchanting. To my mind’s eye this song always evokes an image of a deep blue sky and a glow of starlight, shining like silver. The entire song is like a magical childhood dream brought to life and therefore deeply moving.

Once in royal David’s city
This song feels like the start of the second part of the album and shows how Libera can even take on this most iconic Christmas carol. And in fact, Robert actually takes an original approach already in the opening verse, using harmony instead of a solo. A fine, steady harmony is continued throughout and subtle inventions like the use of a cymbal add to the gradual build-up of intensity. The descant and finale can easily rank among those composed in Cambridge.

Carol of the bells
Moving from the traditional Once in royal David’s city to the exciting world of modern carols, with this playful, dynamic piece. A single, clear voice calls the listener to attention. Richly orchestrated parts alternate with parts that again demonstrate the power of single voices, like bells ringing out, bursting with the joy of Christmas. A single, clear voice also ends the song, crisp and charming.

O little town of Bethlehem
A gentle song about a great mystery. The incarnation of God as a human child, Jesus Christ. A song of trust, proclaiming that the heart of anyone who believes in him can be a place where Jesus Christ, the incarnate God, will enter. The hopeful mystery of Emmanuel, ‘God with us’. God is no longer far away but comes down to earth, a mystery we celebrate each year at Christmas. Through this incarnation it is also possible that by faith Christ will live with each person who believes in him. The little town of Bethlehem becomes a place where heaven touches earth. A wond’rous gift is given, not with ringing bells or dancing ships, but silently. The simplicity of the arrangement and gentle, light voice of Oliver fit perfectly with this theme.

Poor little Jesus
What a contrast, almost a contradiction to O little town of Bethlehem. No longer do we hear about the hearts of believers being a place for Christ to enter, now we hear that Jesus will have no place to lay his head. This calls to my mind a passage from the Lessons and Carols liturgy, of the Gospel of John: He came into his own, but his own received him not. Christ came into the world he created, but was rejected by that same world.
This also is part of the Christian faith, a faith which is also rejected in many parts of the world, something which is easily forgotten in Europe and the West.
Human voices call out to the holy angels and beckon them to sing for Jesus, who will die to save this world. The sinners, saved by grace, call to the heavenly servants of God to praise the one who saved the very same people who broke his heart. A song of reconciliation and a reminder of the harsh side to Christmas: the birth of a poor child, subject to persecution.

Noël nouvelet
Slowly, almost lazily Victor starts off this song which has a pulsing motion, like a procession or a folk dance. This motion is carried out primarily by the voices, so this is one of the songs which showcases the power of choral singing the most. I would choose this as one of the songs to demonstrate what Libera has in store. I also love how this song takes its time to develop, completely confident, enjoying the light of this ‘new Noel’. The finale is brilliant in the sense of shining brilliantly and I love how it fades away just as an actual procession would, even adding an echo after Victor’s more than lovely ending solo.

Silent night
The power of harmony, again, used to full effect on an iconic Christmas song. One day these five boys will look back and be so proud to have made this glorious recording with their childhood voices. It puts to my mind’s eye a star shining above the stable, like a spotlight, silencing all the outside noise. The chord change for ‘redeeming grace’ is a stroke of genius and Luca pours out that spotlight starlight in just a few words in the final solo.

What child is this
The light keeps being poured out with this song and Wexford carol. What child is this uses the famous melody for Greensleeves, but instead of going for a full-blown arrangement, this is rather restrained and therefore extremely lovely. The vocalise and the harp at the beginning keep this arrangement small and refined. Only in the final verse, when it is time for every heart to enthrone the babe, the son of Mary, are all the instruments in full force.
Daniel is an obvious choice as soloist for this – and the fact that he is an obvious choice speaks volumes of his stellar development in such a brief time. I love how the flute gets another chance to shine in this song too.

Wexford carol
In Bethlehem upon that morn – that is where this song always takes me to. No silent night, no bleak midwinter, but the light of a golden dawn, streaming over vales and fields, where shepherds take their flocks to graze. Perhaps this was the glory of the Lord that shone round about them? All I know is that Tadhg’s solo is extremely sensitive and sustained. Definitely one of my favourite solos in the entire Libera repertoire, always stirring a deep feeling inside. Tadhg is a versatile, dedicated and talented singer and I am grateful for his recording as a soloist in Libera.

Gaudete
There is perhaps only one way to end this album and that is with Gaudete. Sheer festivity all round with this song which never fails to get me moving :)

As for the Japanese bonus tracks, only Headlight/Taillight is new and I am very happy to have it on CD :) It's grand and soothing all at once.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above