Early Libera members - help needed

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

The Furby

Early Libera members - help needed

Post by The Furby »

Hello all :)

I'm looking through old Libera videos (late 90's-early 2000s) at the moment and there's a couple of recurring boys I cannot name...
Who can they be?

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

and a few pics of them together
Image Image Image

Screens from
Jubilate /
Te Lucis /
Salva Me (1999)
Salva Me (1999 - St John's)
Salva Me (1997)
All Thins Bright & Beautiful
Te Lucis (2000 - with Aled Jones)
Onwards Christian Soldiers
Gaudete (GMTV)
God Rest Ye (GMTV)

Any idea ?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Early Libera members - help needed

Post by Surpinto »

I am sure that you are not being ignored. I am equally certain that no one here knows who they are. :(

When I want to know who someone is I check the Libera Passion page :wink: :lol:
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

:lol: thank you Surpinto

No progress here, though I tend to think #1 could be Matthew Horsewood, but that's all I can figure...
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

I think Ben Crawley was contemporary with some of these boys. Perhaps he'd be willing to ID them.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Thanks Amie, that's something I had not thought about doing.

I actually asked Ben C and here's part of his reply:
Some of the photos are before my time in Libera and I don’t know their names. I also have lost touch with some of the singers so it wouldn’t be fair for me to name them. However I can tell you that the second photo is Grant Smith and the last photo is Matthew Winter.
So that's two more identified singers. Thanks Ben! :)

Image Image
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

That's great. Two more people to ask might be Steven Geraghty and Sam Coates. Also Liam O' Kane at https://twitter.com/liamokane?lang=en or https://www.facebook.com/LiamOkaneMusic/.

And how about Andrew Winter?
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:23 pm">4 years ago</span> Thanks Amie, that's something I had not thought about doing.

Some of the photos are before my time in Libera and I don’t know their names. I also have lost touch with some of the singers so it wouldn’t be fair for me to name them. However I can tell you that the second photo is Grant Smith and the last photo is Matthew Winter.

Image Image
Just to confirm, Matthew Winter's photo shown here is no. 1 in your original post and not the last photo, so was the order you sent to Ben C different from what was posted in your first post?
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:07 pm">4 years ago</span> Hello all :)

I'm looking through old Libera videos (late 90's-early 2000s) at the moment and there's a couple of recurring boys I cannot name...
Who can they be?

Did you think all the boys in n°6 were the same one?
I think definitely 1,2,3 and possibly 5 are the same person.
4 I reckon is someone different as that's from Te Lucis in 2000, and the boy from the first set of images looked like this in 1999 (actually your 2nd image).

Also it's not good to go by hair colour, but he's definitely not very dark; in fact I'd say he was nearing ginger in real life.
Here's an image with skin tones about right to get an idea of hair colour.

Can you let me know where the 5th image came from?

The 6th image is someone I can't place. He looks familiar, but I've compared him with others the year before and the year after with no luck.
His mouth moves in a slightly weird way when he sings, and it's the first time I've noticed this.
I'll put him as unknown at present.
James237ww

Post by James237ww »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:23 pm">4 years ago</span> Thanks Amie, that's something I had not thought about doing.

Image Image
Yep. That’s Grant. His older brother James was in the choir too from 89 to about 95
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

I was looking for a new version of the 1992 Adoramus Te as the link I had in my database expired. Following a link in a comment section I found the full video of the 1st episode of the 'Titschmarsh on Song' series featuring Angel Voices. (thank you Archive of Recorded Church Music for uploading it!).

It starts with Alan Titschmarsh and Angel Voices on a playground. The camera is moving fast but we can glimpse a few faces.
Image Image Image

Next part is the Praise to the Lord clip in St James the Less. Features are more distinct than in other versions.

At 02:39 there's a part shot in Clifton Cathedral, where Libera held a concert in 2010. You can see Glen Tilen, Anthony Maher, James Smith and many familliar faces. Could the last one be Robert Chee-A-Tow?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

21:20 a version of "Be Still For the Presence of the Lord", completely new to me, shot in the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey!
Hence the mysterious picture on the 1993 "Angel Voice" tape insert I have.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

31:12 is the last part featuring Angel Voice, the already known Adoramus Te video. I'm very pleased it displays the location (Old Nicholas', Weston Super Mare), as I've been looking for it for a long time :)
Image Image Image Image

So lots of new material here, and many closeups on faces throughout the video, of boys seen in Titschmarsh and Thora. As for the few clips we already know the quality is way better than the blurry ones we had so far, so it can actually be used for identifying purposes.

And here's another video (5th episode), no new material here but it's worth watching for the 3 Angel Voices clips in good quality :)
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

What a great find The Furby!
It's a pretty good quality video, so your screenshots are going to make some of the more blurry images on the Libera Timeline for 1992 obsolete.
It seems the programs were broadcast from late June 1992, so I'll include your images in the 'Late 1992' section (where some of the images are awful).

Even the 5th episode may glean some clearer pictures of the boys.
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Regarding the possibility of Robert Chee-a-Tow singing with the Angel Voices, of course the dates are good.
We know he sang with the group the year before in 1991, but I think you may be right. The off-putting thing is that there are a few other teenage boys singing with the choir who are nothing to do with Angel Voices.
Have a look at the image below and compare the features.

Mcormack

Post by Mcormack »

Who is the singer in the beginning of this video?

Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Mcormack wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:12 pm">3 years ago</span> Who is the singer in the beginning of this video?

The first boy that sings is Ralph Skan. He left the group in 2011.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Dinedorelle wrote: The first boy that sings is Ralph Skan. He left the group in 2011.
Not exactly.

Ralph participated to the Spring tour 2012 in Singapore and Tokyo and I still remember his 'Do not stand at my grave' performed in the central aisle at Arundel 2012, which was is last solo public performance as a treble.

He then missed the Summer tour that year, on the Channel Island, but went back for the October tour and the Christmas concert at St George 2012, with the lower voices back rows.

Then in 2013 he was still present at the Spring concert in Guildford. His last concerts were the two performed in Armagh in Summer 2013 for the recording of the DVD 'Christmas In Ireland'.