Libera songs never sung live: Your wishes

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Egorbea2018

Re: Libera songs never sung live: Your wishes

Post by Egorbea2018 »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat May 04, 2019 7:36 pm">5 years ago</span> Here is the list with big thanks to The Furby, who made my life easier by drawing it from his superb data source at Libera-Passion. :) I have reduced it to songs recorded on CDs under the name "Libera" and I hope it's all correct:

• A New Heaven
  • A Song Of Enchantment
  • Adoro Te
  • Air (Air On The G String)
  • Ave Virgo
  • Benedictus Deus
  • Coventry Carol
  • Home
  • In Paradisum (Prizeman)
  • Jerusalem
  • Lead, Kindly Light
  • Luminosa
  • Mother Of God
  • Never Be Alone
  • Panis Angelicus
  • Recordare
  • Salve Regina
  • Sancta
  • Something Sings
  • Stabat
  • Stabat Mater
  • The First Noël (The First Nowell)
  • The Lamb
  • Three Ravens
  • Touch The Sky
  • Twilight
  • Veni Sancte
  • Venite Adoremus
  • Vespera
  • We Are The Lost
  • While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks

Please - make your choice. :wink:

I can add five more to your list. Is it possible you saw them in concert?

Here they are:
Abide with me
Sanctissima
Sing Forever
Sing the story
Time

Most of you have probably heard the following in concert, but I have not. I would love to hear these:
Eternal Light
Far Away
For the Future
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Sat May 11, 2019 11:59 pm">5 years ago</span>
I can add five more to your list. Is it possible you saw them in concert?

Here they are:
Abide with me
Sanctissima
Sing Forever
Sing the story
Time

Most of you have probably heard the following in concert, but I have not. I would love to hear these:
Eternal Light
Far Away
For the Future
They have sung Time in concert quite a few times, without looking it up I'm pretty sure it was sung at Arundel in 2010.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

It's interesting, that some songs never did their way to a concert set list whatever the reason might be.

From the songs listed, I'd love to hear the following (in no particular order) in a concert:
  • Vepera
  • BenedictusDeus
  • Salve Regina
  • Stabat
  • Something Sings
I actually wonder, why they have never been sung live. Well, "Salve Regina" is a pretty new song and hopefully it is waiting for it's turn to be included on the set list.

Then, there are songs, which I love, but I'm not sure if they could be performed live without losing any of their magical atmosphere, so maybe it's better for them to stay on the albums only:
  • Three Ravens
  • Touch The Sky
  • Venite Adoremus
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

swalker2001 wrote: <span title="Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 am">5 years ago</span> I would dearly love to hear We Are The Lost in concert. It brings tears no matter how many times I have listened to it.
I totally second this wish. Me too, I find We are the Lost heartbreakingly beautiful and I'll never understand why Robert didn't make us of the meaningful situation to bring it on stage last year for the anniversary of the end of WW I. Would it have been too political, I wonder? Since this did not happen when the circumstances were ideal, my hope that they will ever perform it live has distinctly decreased.

swalker2001 wrote: <span title="Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 am">5 years ago</span>I'll stop by saying I think that it's possible many of the newest mini-angels could master Touch The Sky. We don't have Mini-James anymore (and he wouldn't be so "mini" if we did) but the song would be a great way to get the newest miniboys acclimated to performing in front of a big audience.
I second this as well, but it's a difficult piece indeed. The dissonances have to be intonated absolutely "clean" (we call it that way in German), there is not much room to correct something without risking a bad, wrong sound. However, I would just jump of joy to get this one live!

swalker2001 wrote: <span title="Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 am">5 years ago</span>So I ended up with more than three and I could pick them all I'm afraid. [...] See what I mean? I could list them all...such a hard topic.
:mrgreen: I know exactly what you mean. :wink:

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Sat May 11, 2019 11:59 pm">5 years ago</span>I can add five more to your list. Is it possible you saw them in concert?
Following The Furby's documentation, these songs were sung live in this frequency:

Abide with me - 1x (Leiden, 2007)
Sanctissima - 40x (last time in 2012)
Sing Forever - 3x (2005)
Sing the story - 3x (2011)
Time (14x, last time in 2010)

Well, in fact my point was to filter out the songs which so far have exclusively existed as studio recordings, because here the question why they have never been performed live can have such diverse answers. Too risky? Not performable? The boys themselves don't enjoy the song? No confidence that the audience will care? And I am interested in them, because in this regard it puts us all, whether long- or shortterm fans, on the very same level: None of us has ever heard them live. That's a special feeling, I find, and a connection among us. :)

Btw, have you seen this concert wishes thread, because it's a wonderful one to just wish, without any disturbance by handmade restrictions. :lol:

So as far as I can see, Vespera wins, and that's really not a secret (no pun! :P ), and, to my joy and surprise, Something Sings is apparently much cared for, too.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun May 05, 2019 4:16 pm">5 years ago</span> I would love to hear "Venite Adoremus" live, but I don't think it will happen. The vocals in the opening and closing sections have a rhythmically irregular, improvisational quality to them that would be very difficult to pull off in a live performance. Simplifying those sections for performance would destroy the effect of the original in my opinion.
Hm ... why not gather some courage and take on an improvisation on stage? As they told us in one of their blogs "Coach journeys are actually great for us as a group. They are usually quite fun filled and it only takes the right tune on the radio to start us singing – it’s amazing how many harmony parts we can manage to make. As many of you know, as the choir we sing songs with many different voice parts so it’s great fun to take a tune and give it a Libera spin."

Honestly, I believe that, with adequate instruction by Robert and practice, they would be capable of navigating through the relevant passages of Venite Adoremus. Some boys with a good ear could be the leading voices. I would love to see them improvising that way.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I have the great pleasure to reduce the original list by one song after the Arundel concert two weeks ago: Salve Regina has debuted there! :D

So now it looks like this:

A New Heaven
A Song Of Enchantment
Adoro Te
Air (Air On The G String)
Ave Virgo
Benedictus Deus
Coventry Carol
Home
In Paradisum (Prizeman)
Jerusalem

Lead, Kindly Light
Luminosa
Mother Of God
Never Be Alone
Panis Angelicus
Recordare
Sancta
Something Sings
Stabat
Stabat Mater

The First Noël (The First Nowell)
The Lamb
Three Ravens
Touch The Sky
Twilight
Veni Sancte
Venite Adoremus
Vespera
We Are The Lost
While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks

30 songs still. 27 without the Christmas songs.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

It would be great to here "Ave Virgo" and "Air" on a concert. Tom Cully did a great job on the original studio recordings and
I'm wondering who would sing them now.

Much more greater would be to see Libera in the Netherlands again but ok ….
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Have "The Fountain" or "Faithful Heart" ever been performed in concert?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Of course they were performed in concert.
'The Fountain' was performed 51 times between 2010 and 2013.
'Faithful Heart' was performed 4 times, in 2012.

Each time you question yourself about a song, you can check about it here:
http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... ces-libera

You'll see how many times a song has been performed, when, where, and by which soloist :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:18 am">4 years ago</span> Of course they were performed in concert.
'The Fountain' was performed 51 times between 2010 and 2013.
'Faithful Heart' was performed 4 times, in 2012.

Each time you question yourself about a song, you can check about it here:
http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... ces-libera

You'll see how many times a song has been performed, when, where, and by which soloist :)
Faithful Heart by Josh and Matthew was excellent. I remember thinking that I was a bit unsure about having a soloist who was no longer a Treble singing a solo (Josh was I think 17 at the time) but Josh's voice (and Matthew's) was absolutely spot on and proved my doubts to be completely unfounded. Great memories of that tour and not least for that performance.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Some years and albums later - time for an update here! With pleasure, I remove Vespera from the list and welcome (um ... :wink: ) some new songs on board, so this should be our new overview:

1. A New Heaven
  2. A Song Of Enchantment
  3. Adoro Te
  4. Air (Air On The G String)
  5. Ave Virgo
  6. Benedictus Deus
  7. Home
  8. In Paradisum / Lux Aeterna (Robert Prizeman)
  9. Jerusalem
  10. Lead, Kindly Light
  11. Luminosa
  12. Mother Of God
  13. Never Be Alone
  14. Nunc dimittis
  15. O Lord Support Us
  16. Panis Angelicus
  17. Recordare
  18. Sancta
  19. Something Sings
  20. Stabat
  21. Stabat Mater
  22. The Lamb
  23. Three Ravens
  24. Touch The Sky
  25. Twilight
  26. Veni Sancte
  27. Venite Adoremus
  28. We Are The Lost

Christmas songs:
  1. Coventry Carol
  2. The First Noël (The First Nowell)
  3. While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks

My updated wish list out of these unsung songs (only the most urgent ones. :shock: With even more focus on the bold ones.):
  1. Benedictus Deus
  2. In Paradisum / Lux Aeterna (Robert Prizeman)
  3. Mother Of God
  4. Nunc dimittis
  5. O Lord Support Us
  6. Something Sings
  7. Stabat
  8. Stabat Mater
  9. Three Ravens
  10. Touch The Sky
  11. Twilight
  12. Veni Sancte
  13. Venite Adoremus
  14. We Are The Lost
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

"Venite Adoremus"! That would be an excellent one with a darker lighting mode and all. I can picture it in my mind's eye already. :D If this were followed by something like "Three Ravens" it would be a nice contrast in a live concert.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I used to drive down a winding tree lined country road at night playing that song. Imagine adding to the darkened lighting star-like points of light on the ceiling and who knows maybe even a silvery moon.