Speculations about the new Christmas CD in 2019

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: New Christmas CD in 2019

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 am">5 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:28 am">5 years ago</span> One track from the Angel Voices 3 album that I wouldn't mind hearing a new version of would be "Saviour's Day". I think there is potential for creating an epic track out of it. I'm sure they are going to do new versions of several other previously recorded songs like "Do You Hear What I Hear", etc., but I think this one is also worth revisiting.
A superior version of "Saviour's Day" would be interesting to hear with real instruments rather than the electronic ones they used on albums at that time (nothing against electronic sounds but they are not as good as the genuine article - though in 2019 they are far superior to what existed when AV3 was recorded).

The real question now is whether, like many of the albums in recent times, there will be a music video of one of the songs preceding the release of the CD? And then of course we wonder what it would be. Knowing no further details of the album and any potentially new music that would be better suited to a video I would speculate on "Three Ships".
Well, I would certainly hope for such a version too, and given the direction Libera has gone in recent years with their music, I have little doubt that there would be plenty of real instruments involved.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

I was so lucky to hear and see the St.Philip's choir during their 9 Lessons and Carols service in December 2018 in Norbury. I wouldn't mind at all if Libera decided to include some of the Christmas music, which they performed there as well. The "Donkey Carol" for instance. :D :D
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

andmar wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 pm">5 years ago</span> I was so lucky to hear and see the St.Philip's choir during their 9 Lessons and Carols service in December 2018 in Norbury. I wouldn't mind at all if Libera decided to include some of the Christmas music, which they performed there as well. The "Donkey Carol" for instance. :D :D
I don't know. I've never been fond of Rutter's playful, lighthearted works. I prefer some of his other music. Also, it seems that this piece has been recorded and performed to death by British choirs. I'm also having second thoughts about recommending a new arrangement of "Saviour's Day" for this album. The piece just feels outdated. Maybe I'm just down on it after watching the silly music video featuring Cliff Richard.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

As with previous recordings, the timing of the recording in relation to which singers are at peak treble voice is always interesting to see. Granted, some Libera soloists such as Isaac London and Tom Cully were prominent soloists for a long period of time, but that isn't usually the case. For soloists like Daniel and Victor, this probably won't be their final recording as a treble soloist. But, for singers like Tadhg, Dominik, and Ben B. whose solo voices are yet to be recorded, this may be the only opportunity to hear them. Tadhg's voice seems to have developed quite a rich sound, so I'm hoping his voice doesn't break before the recording or the upcoming tour to the U.S. I don't know what to expect from Dominik's voice, but some people mentioned that his voice is rather different from the rest.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Do you know Dominiks age as he looks about 10 so why would his voice break within the next few years?

Libera are releasing albums nearly every year at the moment so this won’t be his only album.
justin

Post by justin »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:09 am">5 years ago</span> But, for singers like Tadhg, Dominik, and Ben B. whose solo voices are yet to be recorded, this may be the only opportunity to hear them. Tadhg's voice seems to have developed quite a rich sound, so I'm hoping his voice doesn't break before the recording or the upcoming tour to the U.S. I don't know what to expect from Dominik's voice, but some people mentioned that his voice is rather different from the rest.
I hope Tadgh's Wexford Carol would be recorded. Would be nice to see Victor's Once in Royal David's City be released as a recording as well. I doubt Dominik's voice would change anytime soon.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:08 pm">5 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am">5 years ago</span> The other question that comes to mind is timing: when in 2019 will this be released? Christmas 2018 is fast approaching and putting out a Christmas album in, say, February 2019 would generate zero hype outside the dedicated fan community. What Libera would probably want is to have this album springboard them for television interviews or other publicity during the Christmas/Advent season.
November, I'd say. To have enough time to promote it and have people purchase it as a Christmas gift. Or would they produce it in time to take it with them already on their October tour (assumed they make one) to sell it there for Christmas?
Quote from here:
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:58 pm">5 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:42 am">5 years ago</span> That makes perfect sense as they can promote the Christmas album and will boost sales massively for them.
Do you think that these tour dates portend the album release date? It would make total sense as they seem to release a Japanese version of their albums concurrently with an international release. Plus being a Christmas album, an October release and then having November and December to promote it, would be logical.
With the announcement of the October Japan tour I now believe in an October release, too. And yes, a separate Japanese version with one more song and video ...

justin wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:41 pm">5 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:09 am">5 years ago</span> But, for singers like Tadhg, Dominik, and Ben B. whose solo voices are yet to be recorded, this may be the only opportunity to hear them. Tadhg's voice seems to have developed quite a rich sound, so I'm hoping his voice doesn't break before the recording or the upcoming tour to the U.S. I don't know what to expect from Dominik's voice, but some people mentioned that his voice is rather different from the rest.
I hope Tadgh's Wexford Carol would be recorded. Would be nice to see Victor's Once in Royal David's City be released as a recording as well. I doubt Dominik's voice would change anytime soon.
I don't think so either. His voice is special, but I for myself heard no hint at a voice change being near (Moscow). But of course, we never know. I am certain they put In the Bleak Midwinter with his solo on the CD. And of course, I also hope for more non-Christmas songs recorded with him soloing, so take your time, Dominik. :lol:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I know that Libera hasn't recorded "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence", but I'm wondering if they have ever performed it in a concert. I'm talking about the Picardy tune, not the Edward Bairstow piece or any other by the same name, or "Mysterium" which uses a portion of the text. There have been some great arrangements of this song composed, but I'm sure that Libera could do something special with it as well. I like how the piece can be somber and mysterious, but the last part of the tune can be transformed to take on a glorious and triumphant sound, esp. in the verse which ends with "Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, Lord Most High!". It should be mentioned that the text is basically a translation of an old Greek liturgical text (translation by Gerard Moultrie), but the use of the text with the Picardy tune was supposedly done by Ralph Vaughan Williams, although I'm not 100% sure about that.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

One last suggestion, and one of my favorite melodies, would be "Of the Father's Love Begotten". It's a translation of the Latin plainchant "Corde natus ex parentis". The first couple verses aren't really about Christmas, but after that there are several verses that are.
LuxBeata

Re: Speculations about the new Christmas CD in 2019

Post by LuxBeata »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Tue May 07, 2019 5:51 am">5 years ago</span> One last suggestion, and one of my favorite melodies, would be "Of the Father's Love Begotten". It's a translation of the Latin plainchant "Corde natus ex parentis". The first couple verses aren't really about Christmas, but after that there are several verses that are.
Oh that's such a beautiful song. When I was in the convent we'd sing it for Christmas one of my favorite Christmas memories. Such feeling of the majesty of God pulled into such simple lyrics. Makes my heart swell I'd love to hear these boys sing it.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Speculations about the new Christmas CD in 2019

Post by Surpinto »

LuxBeata wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:10 pm">4 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Tue May 07, 2019 5:51 am">5 years ago</span> One last suggestion, and one of my favorite melodies, would be "Of the Father's Love Begotten". It's a translation of the Latin plainchant "Corde natus ex parentis". The first couple verses aren't really about Christmas, but after that there are several verses that are.
Oh that's such a beautiful song. When I was in the convent we'd sing it for Christmas one of my favorite Christmas memories. Such feeling of the majesty of God pulled into such simple lyrics. Makes my heart swell I'd love to hear these boys sing it.
Welcome to Libera Dreams! Based on your background I'm assuming that you discovered Libera via religious music channels?