Speculations about the new Christmas CD in 2019

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Speculations about the new Christmas CD in 2019

Post by filiarheni »

"Look out for a new Christmas CD in 2019" is the inconspicuous note in the programme of the Brighton concert last Saturday. :D

So we can open the song speculation now. :mrgreen: As there are:

I Saw Three Ships
In the Bleak Midwinter
Do You Hear What I Hear?
And I'd like a new recording of Wexford Carol with Tadhg. I liked him singing this song.
What else?

And will they add more male voices, like in Brighton now and in London in October? Would be great.

:)
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
justin

Re: New Christmas CD in 2019

Post by justin »

Number 1 on my list:

Silent Night (Live)

Other than that, perhaps "Three Ships" or "Do you hear what I hear". I'm hoping "O Holy Night" will appear in some form also.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Logical to assume that Three Ships and Bleak Midwinter would be included. I do not know that Wexford Carol is as likely given that it was on their last Christmas EP and that version added a new verse for Isaac in the Irish language, but it is certainly possible. I love that song! "Do You Hear What I Hear" seems logical too.

What I hope they don't do is have a CD with like 12 tracks and only 3 brand new songs. New recordings of previous songs are certainly to be expected and logical; but I hope that if new recordings of songs released on previous albums (recent ones anyhow) make their way onto the album that they at least are distinguishable from the old versions. "Sanctus" on Beyond for example did exactly that - a new part. To be fair and as an alternate example, I can't blame Libera for recording a new version of "Mother of God" for the Beyond album as their last recording of it had been in 2008. So even though the recordings are nearly identical, this is understandable and logical as new fans are likely not exposed to that song. Nevertheless, there have been Christmas albums (albeit EP's) released recently in 2015 and 2016; not to mention the full live album from Ireland in 2013. So there is definitely some impetus to add some new material in my personal opinion. I say all of that of course being happy with anything Libera puts out. :D As fans we understand that they have to put out new albums and that tons of brand new songs are just not realistic.

The other question that comes to mind is timing: when in 2019 will this be released? Christmas 2018 is fast approaching and putting out a Christmas album in, say, February 2019 would generate zero hype outside the dedicated fan community. What Libera would probably want is to have this album springboard them for television interviews or other publicity during the Christmas/Advent season.
aoba

Post by aoba »

I have high hopes for next Japan (or more countries) tour, whose tittle is this new album's one, in next Christmas season. :wink:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

justin wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:07 am">5 years ago</span> Number 1 on my list:

Silent Night (Live)

Other than that, perhaps "Three Ships" or "Do you hear what I hear". I'm hoping "O Holy Night" will appear in some form also.
Well, I certainly would like to hear "Three Ships" and "Do You Hear What I Hear" on the album. For some reason, I just can't get as excited about Libera doing "a cappella" arrangements. What originally drew me to this group were the creative arrangements (and original compositions) combining voice and instruments. I hate to admit it, but the video of them singing "Nearer my God to Thee" doesn't do much for me. And, "Mother of God", while not a bad piece, is one I don't listen to much either. Although, I prefer it over the other one, probably because it's recorded in a studio. I'm not opposed to them putting an "a cappella" track on the album, but I wouldn't want numerous tracks of that sort. I think Robert Prizeman realizes that they're not a Voces8 type of group, so "a cappella" music will remain a very small percentage of what they do. I will add that their recent performances of "Silent Night" and "Nearer my God to Thee" are probably much more impactful for the audience present at the concert than they would be for someone listening to a video/album recording.
justin

Post by justin »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm">5 years ago</span>
justin wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:07 am">5 years ago</span> Number 1 on my list:

Silent Night (Live)

Well, I certainly would like to hear "Three Ships" and "Do You Hear What I Hear" on the album. For some reason, I just can't get as excited about Libera doing "a cappella" arrangements. What originally drew me to this group were the creative arrangements (and original compositions) combining voice and instruments. I hate to admit it, but the video of them singing "Nearer my God to Thee" doesn't do much for me. And, "Mother of God", while not a bad piece, is one I don't listen to much either. Although, I prefer it over the other one, probably because it's recorded in a studio. I'm not opposed to them putting an "a cappella" track on the album, but I wouldn't want numerous tracks of that sort. I think Robert Prizeman realizes that they're not a Voces8 type of group, so "a cappella" music will remain a very small percentage of what they do. I will add that their recent performances of "Silent Night" and "Nearer my God to Thee" are probably much more impactful for the audience present at the concert than they would be for someone listening to a video/album recording.
Silent Night wasn't entirely acapella actually. There were some instrumentals in the background, although it was kept at a minimal for the soloists' voices to shine through. Regardless, I enjoy "acapella" performances mostly because it is the most distilled form of vocal music, and it allows me to hear each soloist's voice - its timbre, range and quality - in its purest form. However, I do agree that listeners at home may not necessarily be able to appreciate the "acapella" performance in the same way an audience member present at the concert might be able to, as the audience member will be able to enjoy the performance not only aurally, but also visually. In fact, I think the visuals of any live music performance is as important as the music itself.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

I would like to see some of the songs from the service last Sunday included in the new album. I would choose “Sans Day Carol”, “The Sussex Carol” “Poor Little Jesus” and “For unto us a child is born” from the “Messiah”.
Other choices would be Vaughan Williams’ “Wassail Carol” and the “Rocking Hymn” (with Daniel White as soloist) and “The Miracle Hymn” from the movie “ The Christmas Candle” (with both Olivers sharing the solo role).
With the six already suggested that would make 13 so only room for one more. Sorry about that.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

justin wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:47 pm">5 years ago</span> Silent Night wasn't entirely acapella actually. There were some instrumentals in the background, although it was kept at a minimal for the soloists' voices to shine through. Regardless, I enjoy "acapella" performances mostly because it is the most distilled form of vocal music, and it allows me to hear each soloist's voice - its timbre, range and quality - in its purest form. However, I do agree that listeners at home may not necessarily be able to appreciate the "acapella" performance in the same way an audience member present at the concert might be able to, as the audience member will be able to enjoy the performance not only aurally, but also visually. In fact, I think the visuals of any live music performance is as important as the music itself.
Well, that's good to know. One of the reviews made it sound like it was "a cappella", so that's why I assumed that. If they do record that version, I would like to see how it compares to arrangements they've performed in the last few years. One a cappella song by them that I forgot about is "The Lamb" with Ben Philipp as soloist. I kind of like that one, although I know not everybody is a fan of it. However, I think it would've been even better with more 'natural' acoustics. I love listening to a cappella choral music myself, but I listen to Libera for a unique experience from other choral music, and instruments/synthesizers are essential in nearly all the music they perform.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

If I remember correctly, the first verse of Silent Night was entirely a cappella. The second and third verses were accompanied by very sparse plucked notes from a single violin. Rocco's final line was unaccompanied.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:12 pm">5 years ago</span> With the six already suggested that would make 13 so only room for one more. Sorry about that.
No problem, then I vote for The First Nowell with Oliver WR as soloist :D

P.S.: what a nice surprise, this new announced CD! I totally missed that in the program :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I've listened to various performances of John Rutter's "Blow, Blow, thou Winter Wind" the last couple of days, and I really enjoy the piece. My musical "gut feeling" tells me this wouldn't work so well for Libera, but I would like to think it could. I had trouble finding the original version as conducted by John Rutter on Youtube but the Spotify link is: https://open.spotify.com/album/5HJEHAq1psFN2zw4OHFCAC
There is an alternative version of this piece on Youtube featuring several soloists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3is-UbB-QYo
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:12 pm">5 years ago</span> I would like to see some of the songs from the service last Sunday included in the new album. I would choose “Sans Day Carol”, “The Sussex Carol” “Poor Little Jesus” and “For unto us a child is born” from the “Messiah”.
Agree. I'd add also the very interesting and unusual Donkey Carol by Rutter, which I liked a lot and I Wonder As I Wander by Rutti which for me personally was one of the highlights during the Sunday service.

Silent Night (Live)
YES, definitely - one of the concert highlights. Though, I agree there shouldn't be too much acapella (or almost acapella) songs on the CD. Just the one would be perfect.

Of course I Saw Three Ships is a certainty. I think they are very proud of that original arrangement by Sam Coates, so I can't imagine, that song could not be included.

For Wexford Carol I have ambiguous feelings. The recent version with Isaac's solo on a whole stanza is just perfect. This of course doesn't mean anything as we experienced two songs from "Hope" being re-recorded for "Beyond" with new/enhanced solos. I'd love to hear Tadhg sing the whole stanza too.

And yes, definitely
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:37 am">5 years ago</span> In the Bleak Midwinter
Do You Hear What I Hear?
Both of them captured me very much in Brighton, so now I play their old versions (by St.Philip's Boys Choir) a couple of times daily.

I look very much forward to that new Christmas CD. :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Finally I see I'm not the only one who liked In the Bleak Midwinter enough to long to hear it again. I expect to hear it in Moscow anyway, but I'd definitely love to have it fixed forever by a recording. :wink:

Interesting: Do You Hear What I Hear and In the Bleak Midwinter both come from the pre-Libera time and were released on the same CD "Angel Voices 3" (1997). Maybe we should have a closer look at that CD. :lol:

If it's not Wexford Carol, what I'd understand after the EP, then I hope for another song with Tadhg soloing, I agree to everything featuring him. But, as andmar points out as well, they recorded Benedictus Deus twice in shortest time, so maybe there's hope. Sorry: Hope. :wink: Above all, since Isaac then even had two recordings with that song, while Thomas DL had only one with his.

Silent Night has also been on the last EP. However, since the Brighton version formally is, apart from the discreet instrumental, like Nearer My God to Thee, which was not included on "Beyond", they maybe give us this one now? Perhaps for some unknown reason Robert could not or was not willing to record Nearer for the CD, but now he can / does will do Silent Night instead? I agree that this very reduced kind of music and only featuring a small group should cover a very small percentage only, but ignoring it completely for any CD wouldn't be rightful either, as such music obviously does belong to their repertoire.

O Holy Night is unlikely in my opinion, since it was released in 2011 and on the Armagh CD and DVD in 2013, which wouldn't be a reason, but in addition it has not been in the Brighton concert's set list.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am">5 years ago</span> The other question that comes to mind is timing: when in 2019 will this be released? Christmas 2018 is fast approaching and putting out a Christmas album in, say, February 2019 would generate zero hype outside the dedicated fan community. What Libera would probably want is to have this album springboard them for television interviews or other publicity during the Christmas/Advent season.
November, I'd say. To have enough time to promote it and have people purchase it as a Christmas gift. Or would they produce it in time to take it with them already on their October tour (assumed they make one) to sell it there for Christmas?

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am">5 years ago</span> [...] for recording a new version of "Mother of God" for the Beyond album as their last recording of it had been in 2008. So even though the recordings are nearly identical
New included, but no new recording. :wink:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:08 pm">5 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am">5 years ago</span> [...] for recording a new version of "Mother of God" for the Beyond album as their last recording of it had been in 2008. So even though the recordings are nearly identical
New included, but no new recording. :wink:
While I understand the analysis, my understanding is that anything Libera recorded with Warner prior to going independent is owned by Warner. So either Libera recorded the same song again exactly the same somehow, or that song had specific rights associated with it which nullifies Warner's exclusivity.

Anyhow, I bring this up only to mention that re-releases from 2011 are very unlikely. :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:12 pm">5 years ago</span> With the six already suggested that would make 13 so only room for one more. Sorry about that.
:lol: Yes, if you would please be so kind to be sorry.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 am">5 years ago</span> While I understand the analysis, my understanding is that anything Libera recorded with Warner prior to going independent is owned by Warner. So either Libera recorded the same song again exactly the same somehow, or that song had specific rights associated with it which nullifies Warner's exclusivity.

Anyhow, I bring this up only to mention that re-releases from 2011 are very unlikely. :D

Yes, my guess would be some kind of specified agreement. (I would like to change with this to the "Beyond" thread now, as I have one more point also belonging to "Beyond", so better there.)

There was a big number of songs sung at St. Philip's, which would be fine on an album. But how Libera-like are they really? I would wish a new album by the St. Philip's Choir as well - very much so because for instance with The Angel Gabriel they had a wonderful men-only song, with a solo by Eoghan McCarthy and a warm clarinet, which can't be imagined to appear on a Libera CD. But it's such a pity to hear it only once. I also liked The Magi's Dream. Among others. Of course. :wink:

Apart from the songs I mentioned I don't really have special wishes and so I'm looking forward to the surprises. :D