Speculations about the new Christmas CD in 2019

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

New Christmas Album Speculations

Post by Surpinto »

This has already been discussed somewhat in the threads related to the Brighton, UK concert and Philippines tour, but I thought it would be good to start a dedicated thread for this topic. We first heard about this new Christmas album announced within the pages of the program in Brighton, but aside from that we have no other concrete information at this time.

But it would seem that we can infer just what sorts of songs are going to be on this album from those concerts....maybe :wink:

Here are the Christmas songs they have performed lately as well as my analysis of whether I think they are likely to be on an album.

Do You Hear What I Hear and In the Bleak Midwinter
Last released before they were even called "Libera" on the Angel Voices 3 album, I believe these will be on the new CD for sure.

Gaudete
This song has been a fairly ubiquitous offering in the Libera lineup. It's been on no less than 3 Libera albums and two albums under Angel Voices. Since the last time this was on an album was the Ireland recording, I would imagine that the likelihood of this song being on the new Christmas recording is high.

Wexford Carol
While for me this song is a personal top favorite I feel that it is less guaranteed to be recorded. Despite the fact that they found a new soloist for it who is apparently doing an excellent job, this piece has been recorded multiple times: 2013 (Ireland), 2015 (Holiday EP), and 2016 (Libera at Christmas). For that reason I don't believe that this song is guaranteed to be on the new CD. I would put this one at 50/50.

Carol of the Bells
This has been on many recordings and their music video of this song on YouTube is approaching 8 million views :shock: (by far the highest viewership of any of their videos on that platform). It has been on no less than five albums between 2012 and the present (The Christmas Album 2012, Ireland 2013, Holiday EP 2015, and Libera at Christmas 2016). With that in mind Libera can go in one of two directions: they can either try and capitalize on the apparent popularity of this song or declare it overdone. I think they will do the former and put it on the new album; it's just too popular.

"I Saw Three Ships"
This is a brand new song that seems to have one over a lot of fans, so it's guaranteed to be on the CD in my opinion.

In Dulci Jubilo
First recorded on the Angel Voices 3 album, it has only appeared two times since then on the 2013 Ireland CD and on the 2012 Christmas album. Based on this I am sure this song will make a comeback for the new recording.

But is that all? 7 total songs? Another short album? Not quite an EP but not quite a full length CD either? What else could be on this? Wild guesses would include something they have not recording since AV3 like "Saviour's Day" as it was track 1 on that CD after all (not a personal favorite of mine but it's catchy). I have doubts that "Santa Will Find You" will make a comeback and I am sure some here without mentioning names are quite glad of it :lol: :wink:. Maybe "Once in Royal David's City" will make a comeback given the recent performance of it on TV.

What do you all think? :D What other songs are they likely to include? What about release dates?
justin

Re: New Christmas Album Speculations

Post by justin »

Said it before and I'll say it again... "Stille Nacht" please! :D

Other than that, I hope "Once in Royal David's City", "O Holy Night" or "Amazing Grace" could find their way into the upcoming album. I'd place "I Saw Three Ships" at 70/30 chance (although that's also one of my recent favourites).
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm">5 years ago</span> This has already been discussed somewhat in the threads related to the Brighton, UK concert and Philippines tour, but I thought it would be good to start a dedicated thread for this topic.
:) Actually, there is already an own thread about the new Christmas album with all the song speculations (and ideas) up to now. It has rested for some weeks, so it fell off the radar. :wink:

Could the two threads please be merged? So we can indulge there most entirely in this popular hobby of ours. :mrgreen: :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:22 pm">5 years ago</span>
:) Actually, there is already an own thread about the new Christmas album with all the song speculations (and ideas) up to now. It has rested for some weeks, so it fell off the radar. :wink:

Could the two threads please be merged? So we can indulge there most entirely in this popular hobby of ours. :mrgreen: :D
oops! :oops: And I even replied in it too.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

filiarheni wrote:Could the two threads please be merged?
Merge done :wink:
Shall we keep the unique thread in the 'CD & DVD' section were was thread #1, or move it to the 'Chat' section were was thread #2 ?
dani
Diamond Member

Re: Speculations about New Christmas CD in 2019

Post by dani »

As long as they do new songs I don’t mind what they sing.

They have such a vast selection to choose from so I hope they don’t stick to the same tired tracks.

Plus we just had a album of newly remixed songs so we definitely need something new.

O Magnum Mysterium I would love to hear on a album
filiarheni
Gold Member

New Christmas CD in 2019

Post by filiarheni »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 am">5 years ago</span> Merge done :wink:
Shall we keep the unique thread in the 'CD & DVD' section were was thread #1, or move it to the 'Chat' section were was thread #2 ?
Thank you, Patrick! :) It's good in the CD section, as I intended to include everything belonging to the CD, like we did with "Hope" and "Beyond", where there's all to find, from the song speculations until the reviews. :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: Speculations about New Christmas CD in 2019

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I disagree with you Sabine.
It doesn't seem to be a good idea to mix on a single subject speculations written months ahead with real informations when the CD is finally released.

Imagine in some months, when anyone may arrive on Libera Dreams from Google after a search about the new CD.
With a single subject that person will first have to read tens and tens of speculations before to have some real informations.

Speculations are talks based on nothing more than us fans fantasies, they are fun while we have nothing more to do, but it should remain a chat activity.
When the real CD is revealed then a dedicated new subject should be open so anyone that reads it has directly accurate information and not first tens of misleading speculations.

You mention "Beyond" and "Hope", then see the threads and see also the "Christmas EP", they start with accurate information, the CD name and release date and some songs title, they don't start with tens of speculations written months before anything solid is known.

When the real CD will be revealed, if anyone creates a new topic dedicated to that new CD, I will disagree to have it merged with this current speculations subject.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: New Christmas CD in 2019

Post by Surpinto »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 am">5 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote:Could the two threads please be merged?
Merge done :wink:
Thank you for merging these. I knew we had discussed this prior to this thread but in my poor memory it was happening in the Brighton and Philippines threads. Apologies. Regardless, I agree with you that speculations should be under "Chat" and CD information once it comes out under that section......but you know what? It probably doesn't matter if it causes confusion. Up to you what you want to do.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for giving your view on this, please allow me to give you mine. :)

You're correct, we knew title and date of "Hope", but now we also do know that a new CD is concrete and that its release is this year. With "Hope", already a few posts later, we started song speculations, e. g. about Dreaming of Home or Angele Dei, which were only hopes and wishes at that time, no less than now with the new album.

As for "Hope" there had been an extra thread about if there was a CD to expect at all, so entirely vague, and a bit of song speculation, which was later continued in the "real" "Hope" thread. So now there are two threads containing song speculations. This is the worst possible solution in my eyes.

The "Hope" thread did not contain facts only. Which is not possible anyway, as there is so much information which is revealed only step by step, so there will also speculations, wishes and guesses be found in such threads. We also did a lot of guesses for example about the meaning of the album title "Beyond" in the relevant thread right away with some very heavy speculation ...

I also think that we have been able to have quite probable guesses already from the beginning, based on the concerts since Brighton. So this, together with the definitely upcoming release, has in my eyes justified to start already the "main" thread without detours.

Oh, I've just seen, we even had a third thread regarding "Hope"! So there are 1 under "Chat" and 2 under "CD" - I find this confusing.

This leads me to the newcomers. As one which I was not too long ago myself: To be honest, I have always felt glad about having to search things belonging to a CD or a concert within one thread only and not to wonder if there are other threads related to it as well and yet never be sure if I found it all (which has even just happened, s. above). If I had come at the moment of "Hope"'s release I would have wanted to read everything written about it and wished all in one place (indeed, I find the speculations interesting to read as well, as they do reveal some side hints about Libera's work). I would not judge about which content is more or less interesting for the reader, I'd just find it more user-friendly to keep it simple to find in the mass of threads.

I don't believe that this CD will get as much attention as "Hope". Therefore I think that a not-too-long thread should not furthermore be divided.
Re-naming this thread, when we are at the point of knowing its title, would not be a problem. It was done like this previously with "The Christmas Album". The same for the release date. I would consider this as a practibable way and it's all under one roof.

:)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm">5 years ago</span> Do You Hear What I Hear and In the Bleak Midwinter
Last released before they were even called "Libera" on the Angel Voices 3 album, I believe these will be on the new CD for sure.
I agree. They will be no doubt included on the CD as well as Three Ships.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm">5 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm">5 years ago</span>Gaudete
This song has been a fairly ubiquitous offering in the Libera lineup. It's been on no less than 3 Libera albums and two albums under Angel Voices. Since the last time this was on an album was the Ireland recording, I would imagine that the likelihood of this song being on the new Christmas recording is high.
I'd love to have Sam's voice recorded. However, another recording of this one after so many ... :|

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm">5 years ago</span> Wexford Carol
I feel that it is less guaranteed to be recorded. Despite the fact that they found a new soloist for it who is apparently doing an excellent job, this piece has been recorded multiple times: 2013 (Ireland), 2015 (Holiday EP), and 2016 (Libera at Christmas). For that reason I don't believe that this song is guaranteed to be on the new CD. I would put this one at 50/50.
I think this one is likely to be included, because, despite several recordings, each of them featured Isaac as the soloist. A fresh voice with this very song - why not? I'd definitely love it!

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm">5 years ago</span> Carol of the Bells
This has been on many recordings and their music video of this song on YouTube is approaching 8 million views :shock: (by far the highest viewership of any of their videos on that platform). It has been on no less than five albums between 2012 and the present (The Christmas Album 2012, Ireland 2013, Holiday EP 2015, and Libera at Christmas 2016). With that in mind Libera can go in one of two directions: they can either try and capitalize on the apparent popularity of this song or declare it overdone. I think they will do the former and put it on the new album; it's just too popular.
I don't hope so. There wouldn't be much musical difference, so I can't see a point in putting it on the CD again now. Only to attract people to buy the album, so considering that, you may be right.

dani wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:31 am">5 years ago</span> As long as they do new songs I don’t mind what they sing. [...] Plus we just had a album of newly remixed songs so we definitely need something new.
Yes, I totally agree. Perhaps they do 50 % old ones and 50 % new as a compromise? :mrgreen: As Libera seems to have to release a new album now every year, I think they will be happy to come back to songs which are currently practised and ready for recording. I think it's highly possible that all Christmas songs of the current programme will be on the CD. Not sure though about Silent Night; if this one, then Once on Royal David's City mayalso have a chance.

Well ... after the Philippines tour I have given up my hope they take on Himig Ng Pasko for the CD. If so, it would have been on the tour set list. :cry: There only exists the Philippines album version recorded. This is not enough, Libera. :wink:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, first of all, I would be shocked if "I Saw Three Ships" was not on this Christmas album, and I'll admit that I saw a video of them singing it at one of their concerts in the Philippines, and they definitely should include it on the album. John Rutter and Mack Wilberg's arrangements are certainly fun, but Libera will have an arrangement of their own which they can be proud of. If there is one thing I'm hoping for with this album, it's that I want to be surprised. Surprises could include a newly composed carol or other type of choral work that has some relevance to Christmas (something like "Jubilate Deo" is what I mean by something other than a carol that is Christmas-themed). Another surprise would be if they resurrected a neglected or forgotten Christmas piece. How about if they did several carols in their original languages (besides "Wexford Carol"). There are some great carols in Spanish, French, Italian, Polish, etc. I mentioned it before, but I still think a winter-themed song or two would be a good idea. Finally, I wonder if they would ever consider including some spoken passages that have some relevance to the music. It doesn't necessarily have to be done "nine lessons and carols" style. They could have the instrumentalists already starting to play in the background during the spoken passage. That may sound corny, but it doesn't have to be if done right. As for a cappella music, I would be fine with one track, but I don't think they need to prove themselves by doing so. Finally, I would prefer if "Once in Royal David's City" is not on the album unless they are going to do something really original with it.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm">5 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm">5 years ago</span> Wexford Carol
I feel that it is less guaranteed to be recorded. Despite the fact that they found a new soloist for it who is apparently doing an excellent job, this piece has been recorded multiple times: 2013 (Ireland), 2015 (Holiday EP), and 2016 (Libera at Christmas). For that reason I don't believe that this song is guaranteed to be on the new CD. I would put this one at 50/50.
I think this one is likely to be included, because, despite several recordings, each of them featured Isaac as the soloist. A fresh voice with this very song - why not? I'd definitely love it!
True, and that may increase the odds significantly.

dani wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:31 am">5 years ago</span> As long as they do new songs I don’t mind what they sing. [...] Plus we just had a album of newly remixed songs so we definitely need something new.
To be fair there were some new musical arrangements of the songs themselves onBeyond; aside from simply fresh recordings - think "Voca Me", "Sanctus", and "Salve Regina". But your point is well taken, I too hope they have a few surprises in store for us on this album. :D
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm">5 years ago</span> Yes, I totally agree. Perhaps they do 50 % old ones and 50 % new as a compromise? :mrgreen: As Libera seems to have to release a new album now every year, I think they will be happy to come back to songs which are currently practised and ready for recording. I think it's highly possible that all Christmas songs of the current programme will be on the CD. Not sure though about Silent Night; if this one, then Once on Royal David's City mayalso have a chance.
I would love to hear that. Their a cappella singing is divine! Thank goodness we have the live recording of "Nearer My God To Thee". Maybe a studio version will be on the album too? :mrgreen:
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:43 pm">5 years ago</span> Surprises could include a newly composed carol or other type of choral work that has some relevance to Christmas (something like "Jubilate Deo" is what I mean by something other than a carol that is Christmas-themed). Another surprise would be if they resurrected a neglected or forgotten Christmas piece. How about if they did several carols in their original languages (besides "Wexford Carol"). There are some great carols in Spanish, French, Italian, Polish, etc. I mentioned it before, but I still think a winter-themed song or two would be a good idea.
That would be cool and different and definitely unexpected.
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:43 pm">5 years ago</span> Finally, I wonder if they would ever consider including some spoken passages that have some relevance to the music. It doesn't necessarily have to be done "nine lessons and carols" style. They could have the instrumentalists already starting to play in the background during the spoken passage. That may sound corny, but it doesn't have to be if done right.
On this I must respectfully disagree. In modern times I have never heard this done well, it's considered a very antiquated practice and you hear it mostly on extremely old recordings. In addition, if it's part of the music track, it makes it less likely to get played on classical radio because usually the announcer will start the song while talking. So the speaking parts would get placed on separate tracks and then the whole thing is even more disjointed. I just don't think a modern audience would want any part of that. I believe what you're thinking of here would be a new DVD. I'm all for it! :D
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

One track from the Angel Voices 3 album that I wouldn't mind hearing a new version of would be "Saviour's Day". I think there is potential for creating an epic track out of it. I'm sure they are going to do new versions of several other previously recorded songs like "Do You Hear What I Hear", etc., but I think this one is also worth revisiting.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:28 am">5 years ago</span> One track from the Angel Voices 3 album that I wouldn't mind hearing a new version of would be "Saviour's Day". I think there is potential for creating an epic track out of it. I'm sure they are going to do new versions of several other previously recorded songs like "Do You Hear What I Hear", etc., but I think this one is also worth revisiting.
A superior version of "Saviour's Day" would be interesting to hear with real instruments rather than the electronic ones they used on albums at that time (nothing against electronic sounds but they are not as good as the genuine article - though in 2019 they are far superior to what existed when AV3 was recorded).

The real question now is whether, like many of the albums in recent times, there will be a music video of one of the songs preceding the release of the CD? And then of course we wonder what it would be. Knowing no further details of the album and any potentially new music that would be better suited to a video I would speculate on "Three Ships".