Libera - Whyte V Chisora Advert

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Libera - Whyte V Chisora Advert

Post by maartendas »

Via Facebook:

Oliver has been caught singing in the ... boxing ring!
You can see him bringing peace to the fighters in this advert for a forthcoming Sky Sports match.

I think it's wonderful to hear one of my favourite soloists of this generation sing my absolute favourite Christmas carol (almost a capella!) - and add the theme of peace amid the fighting. The contrast between the fighting and the singing is very powerful and I expect will make a remarkable impression as an ad. Oliver can be proud of being part of this unique production.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Libera - Whyte V Chisora Advert

Post by Surpinto »

I think it's a net positive for two reasons. The first is that it gives Libera exposure and the second is that it comes with revenue for Libera. We must not forget that the musical education that Libera provides is free of charge to the families of the choristers. Of course I am not forgetting tour funding too. :wink:

While some may reasonably object to the incongruous juxtaposition of a violent sport like boxing with the peaceful sounds of Libera, I personally have no problem with this at all.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I personaly am a huge Libera fan AND a taekwondoist, even teaching young kids starting from 4 how to kick and punch... Actually I consider that learning to protect yourself and others, contain your strenght, your anger, be severe with yourself, and above all respectfull to all, is a way to find peace. Since I've started taekwondo my soul is at peace with the world.

Do you think that a full video of Oliver's Silent Night might exist ? It is really good and a rare opportunity to hear him well and loud. :D May we hear it in Brighton, pleaaaase !
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So, it's a "Boxing Day" advert?
justin

Post by justin »

Interesting juxtaposition between the images of a violent sport like boxing and a child singing Silent Night. Silent Night, Holy Night, All is Calm, All is Bright...Could it be an allusion to the fact that despite our human weaknesses (and our violent ways), inner peace could be found in quiet contemplation?

Perhaps I'm overthinking this. :lol:
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The promotors are simply displaying their holiday spirit.

There is a precedent. Back in the 1960's Simona and Garfunkel recorded a song called "7 O'clock News / Silent Night". They juxtaposed a news broadcast from the era of civil rights conflict and the Vietnam War over their version of Silent Night.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Contrasting exactly the most peaceful Silent Night with boxing, attention is guaranteed! :P Speaking of crass matching: I was honestly shocked when I first heard that Libera had contributed music to a horror movie. :lol:

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:08 am">5 years ago</span> There is a precedent. Back in the 1960's Simona and Garfunkel recorded a song called "7 O'clock News / Silent Night". They juxtaposed a news broadcast from the era of civil rights conflict and the Vietnam War over their version of Silent Night.
Yes, it's a stylistic device. Another example is the use of "What A Wonderful World" in the movie "Good Morning, Vietnam" (after 30 s).
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I wonder when this was filmed as Oliver has had short hair since September so this was filmed before then.

But I like it and I wonder if there is a longer video of it?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

filiarheni wrote:I was honestly shocked when I first heard that Libera had contributed music to a horror movie. :lol:
and they contributed to at least 2 of such movies :mrgreen:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:46 pm">5 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote:I was honestly shocked when I first heard that Libera had contributed music to a horror movie. :lol:
and they contributed to at least 2 of such movies :mrgreen:
Yes, but at least the second time I heard about it I had been hardened in the meantime. :mrgreen: The shock cuts in half from horror movie to horror movie to boxing ad and forward, but obviously there will always remain a rest. :shock: :wink:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Sorry, for me the video is very disturbing. I love Oliver's performance. But I hate boxing. I always have. That is why those two things simply do not belong together for me. Let it be a sophisticated stylistic measure or whatever, but no... simply no - for me.

However I agree with Surpinto
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 pm">5 years ago</span> I think it's a net positive for two reasons. The first is that it gives Libera exposure and the second is that it comes with revenue for Libera.
and filiarheni
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:26 am">5 years ago</span> Contrasting exactly the most peaceful Silent Night with boxing, attention is guaranteed!
so, objectively considered, the video will be to the advantage of Libera.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 pm">5 years ago</span> So, it's a "Boxing Day" advert?
No, the match is not on Boxing Day :wink:
But it's still a knock-out performance. Not surprising, as the song fits Oliver like a glove.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 am">5 years ago</span>
But it's still a knock-out performance. Not surprising, as the song fits Oliver like a glove.
Ouch!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 pm">5 years ago</span> So, it's a "Boxing Day" advert?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

It was a pun.