Christmas concert 2018 in Brighton - December 15th

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Christmas concert 2018 in Brighton - December 15th

Post by Surpinto »

Maarten your description of the visual imagery and the feelings you experiences were palpable. When you described “Silent Night” you wrote something that really had an effect on me as I can imagine exactly how moving this must have been for you.
maartendas wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 pm">5 years ago</span> The stable was lit up with the light of Christmas. Like a room can light up when the sun just starts to appear from behind the clouds.
There are other descriptions you used which conjure up transcendent feelings.
maartendas wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 pm">5 years ago</span> It really lifted me up and when the song sings about God’s majesty in nature I could also picture the mighty waves at the coast earlier that day :) The most moving moment was the a capella verse starting with “when Christ shall come”. It felt like a very spiritual moment, in the surroundings of the church, with the boys in their white robes…
It is clear that this music and the ambiance affected you in a deep way; musically and spiritually. It makes me incredibly happy to read that and I could not get enough of your review! Thank you so much. :D
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:38 am">5 years ago</span> To my own surprise, one of my favourite songs of the concert was In the Bleak Midwinter. Before, I had found it nice, but nothing special. But what admirable arrangement Robert made out of it! The song started very "reduced", just with an instrumental bourdon accompaniment to the singing, perfectly realising the lyrics about a frozen (petrified) earth. Then step by step the harmonies were building up throughout the song, extending in diversity and increasing in colour, and from the more mystic beginning the song developed to the harmonies of nowadays we know. I felt like going from darkness and loneliness to hopeful light and consolation. It also linked the ancient through time to the modern and thus conveyed something universal. It was very impressive, just elevating.
If Maarten’s review had a spiritual overtone then certainly filiarheni’s review of the concert has a musically thorough approach. Your descriptions of the individual songs are such that even without hearing this music I can imagine exactly what it may have been like being in that audience! You do the soloists and choir as a whole justice as well; describing how they bring their unique personality and, yes, even their unique “voice” into the music. I will admit that whenever I read your reviews I can sometimes hear in my head the music you write about with the particular effects which you so carefully describe.
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 pm">5 years ago</span> Stay with me
Unlike some of you, I didn't like that song that much. I agree Oliver M is getting better. But, although I like his voice a lot, I'm not sure this song matches it. Also Sam-Francis was good but missed some notes - but I have to say is voice is the purest. I never liked that song when heared live, but I like the Leyden's video. Not sure what's going on with that song. Especially as I really like it when recorded.
I must say that I have to agree with you here. I liked it a lot on recordings and it was a past favorite but it has not moved me at all in concerts.

Thanks so much for the detailed review! I enjoy it. :D
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:31 pm">5 years ago</span> Thanks Bachmahlerfan, I missed that info about a new Christmas CD to come, now I see it :)

WOOHOO!!!
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Thank you for all the great reviews. It is fun reading them. We need a new concert DVD with all the new soloists.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 pm">5 years ago</span> Though I would also like to point out that I sometimes purposely looked around at the boys who never do any solos but who provide the full choir sound, which sounded so smooth and powerful in Brighton. Boys like Laurence for instance, who always looks engaged and concentrated, every single time I sought him out. He is one of the several 'quiet forces' without whom Libera would not be what they are.
As I'm a bit more experienced concert goer now (I've attended 5 Libera concerts so far after all :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and I'm not totally like just a 'WOW' at the concerts anymore, I also try to pay attention to other things which are going on during a concert. Watching other boys who don't sing any solos belongs to that things too. Yes, I agree with what maartendas wrote. Each choir member has an important task to do. Many of them look really engaged like Laurence (mentioned by maartendas) or Emanuele or Peter or Adam and others. Yes, their work is essential to the overall sound of the choir and without them any solo wouldn't be that spectacular. Really, they deserve much appreciation for their work and commitment too.
TrebleVoices

Post by TrebleVoices »

The Brighton concert for me was one of the best I've attended, although I've only attended eight Libera concerts so far so I am still a bit of a newb.

I especially love "I Saw Three Ships" a great, upbeat arrangement. The sound in general was perfect for me this time, sitting centrally so the sound balance was great. A++
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Libera posted some wonderful photos of this concert on Facebook :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above