Beyond - DVD videos

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

aoba

Re: Beyond - DVD videos

Post by aoba »

Libera-Records mentions the existence of a music video of 'To tomorrow ~ for the future' .
It was filmed on 9th September in London. I expect that it will be released somewhere soon. :D

https://libera-records.com/news/2018/09/21/722/
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thank you :)
Now I understand the context and purpose of the photos visible on the fan club, those with the green background.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I think the "In Paradisum" video begins with a loss, someone who has died. Covering his eyes, resigned look, turning away from the sea, all this looks to me like he has expected someone to come back from the sea, who will never come anymore, or like he has just realised that his own life has come to an end. The other boys joining him may represent the angels who have waited for this to happen and then accompany the person to Jerusalem ("in paradisum deducant te angeli").

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:32 am">5 years ago</span> I imagine that the candles being lit and then extinguished are a reference to the transience of life itself as the boys fade out of the shot.
Yes, I agree to this and furthermore the extinguishing perhaps means that earthly light, the material things of earth aren't needed anymore, because there is an eternal divine "beyond" where it's all brightness - and that this is what matters at last. I also think that the black and white parts refer to that transience of life, the second being a flashback to the first, like a memory.

Very striking is how words and pictures are put together. At the first "Jerusalem" (climax 1) the church appears. With "Aeternam" (climax 2) all the lit candles are shown. But my favourite conjunction is when they enter the church exactly with the words "in paradisum". :D And I have fun with the fast winding up in the orchestra at 2:46, while the windmills appear for a moment, perfect match. :lol:

I like this video very much and that means something, because I am no fan of song videos. The beautiful nature, the atmosphere and the fact that there is light all the time. The church could well be gloomy, but it's not, as there's always light shining in. Also, there is a simplicity in the pictures - not in the meaning - which provides much calm. Very pleasant video, very serious and thoughtful, which can also be read in the faces of the boys, Rocco above all.

It's a video which leaves room for a variety of different views and interpretations. That's very well done! :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Excellent summary filiarheni. The videos itself has many symbolic elements that are quite ephemeral and many are done for effect so as to be in conjunction with the music rather for necessarily poetic reasons - at least that is my view.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

So my Japanese CD arrived and of course it had a DVD with In Paradisum and Lacrymosa. For all that In Paradisum was difficult to decipher Lacrymosa is also a rather deep video.

It appears that Alex has lost his friend (Leo) who has passed away/died. Whether as memories or as a ghost (not too sure but Alex is reading a book with a ghost on the cover), Leo re-appears to him and they spend some fine time together. They then go to the church from the first video where the rest of the choir is formed up and Alex assumes his place with them (sort of like the Choir of Angels) and Leo fades away as he goes out of the door.

The Latin Lyrics are:

lacrymosa, dolorosa, voca me, libera, salva me
de morte aeterna
in die illia tremenda
cum benedictis
libera me

My rough English translation (please feel free to help here because I don't speak Latin):

tearful, weeping, call me, for release, save me!
From eternal death
on that awful day
with thy saints surrounded
(as translated for use by the Anglican ordinate, 'with the blessed' is more literal)
Rescue me

As an aside Gabe is clearly seen wearing his glasses. When they perform as Libera in concerts they have to remove their glasses and I can't think of another video where one of the boys can be seen wearing them.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:23 am">5 years ago</span> It appears that Alex has lost his friend (Leo) who has passed away/died. Whether as memories or as a ghost (not too sure but Alex is reading a book with a ghost on the cover), Leo re-appears to him and they spend some fine time together. They then go to the church from the first video where the rest of the choir is formed up and Alex assumes his place with them (sort of like the Choir of Angels) and Leo fades away as he goes out of the door.
Although this is so heartbreaking, also the way it's filmed, I see deep friendship here as well, and this leaves a good feeling in me. I love especially the hand prints.

Both "Beyond" DVDs have the topic of that afterworld beyond (leave, farewell, transition, life after death).

No glasses - because of interference with the microphone cables?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:05 pm">5 years ago</span>
Although this is so heartbreaking, also the way it's filmed, I see deep friendship here as well, and this leaves a good feeling in me. I love especially the hand prints.

Both "Beyond" DVDs have the topic of that afterworld beyond (leave, farewell, transition, life after death).

No glasses - because of interference with the microphone cables?
Yes the hand print gives me the thought that Alex is remembering the past when they made those hand prints together so it works more as a memory but with Leo's spirit always with him :cry:

Gabe of course had his glasses on in the 'In Paradisum' video but he wasn't wearing the white robes in that one. I know they can wear glasses during Sunday services but not in concerts. I always thought it was because of reflections from the lights but you might be right about the new style of mics they use as well.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

It's a haunting, moving video. Alex is completely believable in his acting and Leo is a great natural companion. The shots and the effects are very simple but the overall effect is very powerful. One of their best videos, I think.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Maybe Leo isn't the one who died. Early in the film they're playing chess. Alex had the black pieces, Leo has the white ones. Leo check mates Alex, Alex's king is felled. Towards the end of the video the camera returns to the fallen king, which is Alex not Leo.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Possible Tully, but isn't it Leo who fades away at the end? Also, it might have been mentioned who died during the M&G in the US tour!

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:26 am">5 years ago</span> Maybe Leo isn't the one who died. Early in the film they're playing chess. Alex had the black pieces, Leo has the white ones. Leo check mates Alex, Alex's king is felled. Towards the end of the video the camera returns to the fallen king, which is Alex not Leo.
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 am">5 years ago</span> Possible Tully, but isn't it Leo who fades away at the end?
I think it's a bit ambiguous, depending on the view, but I can relate to Tully's opinion:

The chess thing speaks for Alex being the one. And the swing is used by Leo first, but the last one to enter it is Alex, before it is seen swinging empty. Alex is the one who sings "Libera me, salva me, voca me etc.", thus referring to himself and praying for salvation? On the other hand, it could also be interpreted as Alex's reflection about sadness, yearning and death now that his friend has gone, and as pleading for ending the sadness and the missing feeling. But still ... after his chess king has fallen (been kicked down by the white one, why?), Alex joins the choir he has not belonged to before.
And so this choir might not represent the living, as I first thought, but the angels. The church then would be the house of God again, like in "In Paradisum"? So when Leo at last turns and walks away from the church, he steps out to this side's world waiting for him; he has to leave his friend there, because his own time has not yet come.

At the end not only Leo fades away once, but also Alex. Perhaps, it just stands for the parting between the two, who will be in different worlds from then onwards.

It doesn't fit to this theory though that Alex sits on the sofa alone, because there is no hint to a beyond in there. Also at the beginning, playing chess, Leo fades in. So is this Alex's memory of the times when they played it together?
This would also support your theory, Yorkie.

And:
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 am">5 years ago</span> Also, it might have been mentioned who died during the M&G in the US tour!
I missed that. Could you tell more?

Maybe the video is even inconclusive in order to express that everyone will leave this world finally one day.

(By the way, it's hard for me to call the acting boys by their names here, while I'm aware that it's acting ...)

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:49 pm">5 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:05 pm">5 years ago</span> Although this is so heartbreaking, also the way it's filmed, I see deep friendship here as well, and this leaves a good feeling in me. I love especially the hand prints.
Yes the hand print gives me the thought that Alex is remembering the past when they made those hand prints together so it works more as a memory but with Leo's spirit always with him :cry:
I agree. Apparently, it shows their friendship (hands) and that it will remain forever (hand prints), also when all material things are gone.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Actually I was just messing with you. :lol:
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:08 am">5 years ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 am">5 years ago</span> Also, it might have been mentioned who died during the M&G in the US tour!
I missed that. Could you tell more?
A fan mentioned to me that during the summer tour, Leo told her he died in a video for the upcoming CD.
This has to be the video he was referring to (at least I hope so). I meant to discuss it with him in Japan, but I forgot. :oops:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

And here it is, what do you think?

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

They have done a very good job in the latest videos of setting the correct mood with the cinematography. The plot here when combined with the words is moving; and, yes, it is clear that the whole thing is meant to be retrospective from the point of view of Alex. The video enhances this new version of "Lacrymosa" even more so.