Nearer My God To Thee

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Nearer My God To Thee

Post by Yorkie »

At last

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Nearer My God To Thee

Post by maartendas »

So thrilled that they released this :D
These brave and talented young men, showing their musicianship, nerves and stage presence to give a beautiful rendition of this hymn. Remarkable, even for Libera standards.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

This is wonderful and completely unexpected. The song is both beautiful and captivating; I fear that I must not listen to it excessively lest the spell of the song be broken. "Nearer My God to Thee" stands apart in their recent concert repertoire as something quite unique in having neither instrumentation nor the whole choir singing at any point in the piece. Instead the song presents itself through a handful of voices which hide behind nothing. The perfect execution and harmony of the choristers involved therefore is even more poignant and utterly mesmerizing.
Noob

Post by Noob »

thank you so much for posting this, Yorkie!!
i attended that concert (only my 2nd Libera show) and was it ever beautiful.
There is nothing quite like a sweet treble voice.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm">5 years ago</span> At last
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would say "Great to have the video AT ALL".

Yes, what a great surprise!! Were it our requests, begging and supplications which made Libera to decide to record and publish the video? I want to believe so. :D

I've loved the song since the Ely concert this spring and it was my dream to have it recorded. And here it is!! :D :D :D

Thank you Libera!!! (and please consider publishing more concert videos or/and filming a new concert DVD :D :) :wink: )
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

The performance is majestic! And does anybody else think that the silence (stillness) atmosphere around them has a huge impact on the overall listening experience?
maartendas wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:37 pm">5 years ago</span> These brave and talented young men, showing their musicianship, nerves and stage presence to give a beautiful rendition of this hymn. Remarkable, even for Libera standards.
Completely agree. I don't know if the audio has been edited prior to the release, but the musical ability of these young men are BEYOND words. Their pitch, their phrasing, their calmness, etc. are something that I've seen many professional singers still haven't yet achieved. 8)

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:54 am">5 years ago</span> I fear that I must not listen to it excessively lest the spell of the song be broken.
This is also what I feel. :roll:

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:22 pm">5 years ago</span> Were it our requests, begging and supplications which made Libera to decide to record and publish the video? I want to believe so. :D
[...]
Thank you Libera!!! (and please consider publishing more concert videos or/and filming a new concert DVD :D :) :wink: )
Yes, yes, and YEEEEESSSSS!!! :lol:

P/S: There is still one more thing: Alex M's voice should be a bit louder, in my opinion.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 pm">5 years ago</span> The performance is majestic! And does anybody else think that the silence (stillness) atmosphere around them has a huge impact on the overall listening experience?
Yes! The way I described for myself is that the boys are singing around the silence. They make the silence sing. After they have finished, the silence around me has changed. It takes a while before I can listen to a new piece of music, otherwise it would intrude the silence which is still affected by 'Nearer my God'. Really great music does that, it affects the silence around and after the notes.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above