"Deep Peace" lyrics and their musical settings

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

"Deep Peace" lyrics and their musical settings

Post by filiarheni »

"Deep Peace" lyrics exist in totally different musical settings and accordingly differ as well in what they convey. Now I'd like to ask you about your opinion:

So which composition/arrangement (not: interpretation) fits best to what the words express for you personally?
And which version do you enjoy most?

I just post all 4 of them in the order I got to know them. And in case you know further versions, please post them here, too! :)

1. "Deep Peace" (Bill Douglas)

2. "Deep Peace" (John Rutter)

3. "Attendite" (Robert Prizeman))

4. "Healing Light" (Karl Jenkins)

"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: "Deep Peace" lyrics and their musical settings

Post by Yorkie »

It's difficult to separate the interpretation of each one from what I personally find pleasing musically. I like Rutter but the clear winner for me is Robert's Attendite which has always been a favourite of mine from one of my all time favourite albums. The first and last ones just don't seem to convey the message at all; I find the last one bordering on aggressive!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

I'm with Yorkie, 3,2,1,4.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'll go with #2. Doers anyone know if there is an original version? What does the original sound like.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

While I agree with John and Yorkie's ratings, I would say that for me to better appreciate those others I would have to either hear them live or have some other direct experience. The Libera version is just right in setting the tone of the song and conveying the lyrics.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Rutter for me. Listened to it the other day and it really gave me an experience of peace entering my heart.

There is a song with very similar lyrics called "The Peace of the Earth", originally from Guatemala and adapted by John Bell:

We sing a Dutch translation with my choir and I love it :)

I also found this one:

Btw the Bill Douglas version is no longer available. Here is a different video of that version:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm">5 years ago</span> So which composition/arrangement (not: interpretation) fits best to what the words express for you personally?
And which version do you enjoy most?
Here are my thoughts:
- "Deep Peace" (Bill Douglas): makes me feel blue (a bit empty and lonely and also a bit nostalgic)
- "Deep Peace" (John Rutter): sunshine through the leaves of a tree. Took me some time to get familiar with it though - at first I didn't like this particular piece on the album "Peace"
- "Attendite" (Robert Prizeman): morning landscape with flowers and a river. I don't usually like pentatonic music, but this piece stroke me right at my first listen. And it conveys the message perfectly as for me, the somehow 'Eastern' aspect of the music totally represents a balanced world where everything exists in harmony with others. So clearly this one wins. 10/10
- "Healing Light" (Karl Jenkins): no, just no. :?

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:53 pm">5 years ago</span> There is a song with very similar lyrics called "The Peace of the Earth", originally from Guatemala and adapted by John Bell
[...]
I also found this one:
These two are nice actually
- The first is hymn-like and does speak of gentleness
- The second one gets me feeling a bit blue, too (somewhat the same as the Bill Douglas' one), but of course more 'secular' :wink: