Beyond

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: Beyond

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I haven't said much about this album, because I didn't feel that I had much to add to the conversation. I will say a few things, however. First, I agree that the technical aspects of the recording were really good, better than the "Hope" album in my opinion. However, I think "Hope" is a superior album in just about every other aspect. "In Paradisum" is definitely quite a powerful piece, and I think Robert's arrangement is better than the original. I especially like how he repeats the climax of the second verse, but with even more power. I agree with all the praise given to Rocco's solo. I still like "Benedictus Deus" more than "In Paradisum", but only a little more. As for "Salve Regina", I'm still not crazy about that song, although I think it's a little better than the first version because we get to hear a more extended solo from Rocco, and because it's shorter than the original version. Gabriel Collins does very well with both his solos, showing real sensitivity in his singing. It's amazing to me how all the soloists of the three recorded versions of "Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep" have voices quite distinct from the others, yet I can't decide which one I like better. I really like all of them. I'm glad that they used the harp once again in this version like in the "Free" album. As for "Sanctus", I would say it's one of the better versions of the song. The new section makes it a little more interesting, although I wouldn't say it makes this version better than all the others. I particularly enjoyed the parts where the strings have the spotlight. One small criticism I will make: I still think they could improve some of their Latin pronunciation, especially the r's (I'm not saying they have to roll them, just flip them). The new versions of "Voca Me" and "Lacrymosa" seem to suggest that Robert is shying away from mixing Latin and English lyrics in the same song. Personally, I like the way he mixed the two in previous versions, so I'm not sure why he's doing this. In "Voca Me", I prefer the rhythm of the English phrases coupled with the harp in the previous versions. I also noticed that in the solo part, the soloist sometimes slides the pitch from one note to the next, especially when going up in pitch. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but when the same soloist does the "Benedictus Deus" solo (which I thought was nicely done), he doesn't slide the pitch at all. As for the "The Prayer" this version was good, and Daniel is impressive considering his age, but I wish they could have waited until Daniel was a little older, because I think he'll be even better in the future. Perhaps, they thought his voice would sound too mature for the song if they waited until he was 11 or 12. As for Robert's "Ave Maria", I thought the orchestration in this version gave greater emotional weight to the song than previous versions. I like how the new opening sets the mood before the solo begins. As for "Lacrymosa" I never really liked the pairing of "Aquarium" with this text. It never really made sense to me (yeah, I'm aware of the Aquarium-water-tears-Lacrymosa connection). So, I prefer to just ignore the text and enjoy the music. Personally, I think the version on the "Peace" album is the best, and Ben Philipp is the only soloist that I like on that piece. Finally, the song "For the Future" is a pleasant song, but it doesn't really move me in any way. The most interesting aspect of the song for me is hearing the variety of solo voices singing in different languages. One thing that really struck me is when Daniel does his solo, his voice actually sounded more mature than Oliver W-R, despite his younger age. I'm not saying that Oliver W-R's voice isn't good, I'm just saying that it sounded younger. In conclusion, while I enjoyed most of the tracks on "Beyond", I was somewhat disappointed overall. After a few weeks, I found myself listening to the "Hope" album a lot more than this album.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, bachmahlerfan, for your review. I very much welcome such a later review, because I think it's then freed of the very first feeling, when all the euphoria burst out. :wink: After a while, the music has settled in us and then is revealed what has remained and which feelings about the songs are the true, constant ones.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 am">5 years ago</span> Gabriel Collins does very well with both his solos, showing real sensitivity in his singing. It's amazing to me how all the soloists of the three recorded versions of "Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep" have voices quite distinct from the others, yet I can't decide which one I like better. I really like all of them. I'm glad that they used the harp once again in this version like in the "Free" album.
I agree with you. The only difference I can tell for myself is that I'm not as fond of the Tom Cully / Ed Day version of this song as of the other two, which is strange, because usually I love Tom's and Ed's singing a lot.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 am">5 years ago</span> One small criticism I will make: I still think they could improve some of their Latin pronunciation, especially the r's (I'm not saying they have to roll them, just flip them).
You are quite right from a professional point of view, but I must admit that I find their English way of pronouncing the "r" even charming ... and wouldn't really want to let that go. :wink:

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 am">5 years ago</span> The new versions of "Voca Me" and "Lacrymosa" seem to suggest that Robert is shying away from mixing Latin and English lyrics in the same song. Personally, I like the way he mixed the two in previous versions, so I'm not sure why he's doing this.
Same here without coming to my mind consciously, but mixing the two languages is a Libera trademark, so yes, that's generally more attractive to find in a Libera piece, I think. Now, with the Latin-only text, a more archaic feeling emanates for me from the song.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 am">5 years ago</span> As for the "The Prayer" this version was good, and Daniel is impressive considering his age, but I wish they could have waited until Daniel was a little older, because I think he'll be even better in the future. Perhaps, they thought his voice would sound too mature for the song if they waited until he was 11 or 12.
Hm. First, you never know what will happen: A voice change may come too early for a later recording, the soloist might leave Libera etc. So it's logical to want to have the recording secured as long as there's time, exactly in a case like Daniel who sings so well. And the second, well, people like to be impressed by someone already so good at such a young age, right? So why wait when they can be served so perfectly?! :mrgreen:

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 am">5 years ago</span> After a few weeks, I found myself listening to the "Hope" album a lot more than this album.
Yes! When I think of these two albums, then "Hope" appears as a fully mature album, while "Beyond" seems to be more in the second row - and also not to have been intended to be more than that, in my personal opinion. Which does, self-evidently, not refer to the musical quality, but more to the choice and of course the number of songs.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
aoba

Post by aoba »

"For the Future" is now available worldwide on many digital music services.

iTunes/Apple Music
The announcement by Libera Records