2018 US Summer Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Re: Libera Concert at St Andrew United Methodist - Plano, TX July 29, 2018

Post by john45 »

Lucas wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:59 pm">5 years ago</span>
Egorbea2018 wrote: Speech – Alex Gula and Tadgh Fitzgerald talked about Moose. They said someone from the audience took him and Libera would not start singing until he was returned. They said Moose had travelled the world with them and had a Twitter account.
WHAT.
About Moose. On the last South Korea tour (2016) Moose was forgotten on the stage at the end of one of the concerts. He was picked up by a young Korean fan but quickly retrieved by a stage manager. I think this, with a little embellishment, might be the basis for the moosenapping story.
Noob

Post by Noob »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:08 am">5 years ago</span>
Lucas wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:59 pm">5 years ago</span>
Egorbea2018 wrote: Speech – Alex Gula and Tadgh Fitzgerald talked about Moose. They said someone from the audience took him and Libera would not start singing until he was returned. They said Moose had travelled the world with them and had a Twitter account.
WHAT.
About Moose. On the last South Korea tour (2016) Moose was forgotten on the stage at the end of one of the concerts. He was picked up by a young Korean fan but quickly retrieved by a stage manager. I think this, with a little embellishment, might be the basis for the moosenapping story.
i can just imagine a Phantom of the Treble Choir threatening to moosenap Moose unless his favorite Libera song is sung
There is nothing quite like a sweet treble voice.
TimS_TheToolman

Re: 2018 US Summer Tour

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

And if I may add a side note about Moose. Despite kidnapping attempts possibly scaring him :wink: , Moose seemed to be just fine. He was present for the M&G after the Plano concert and, at the end of the session was, along with the boys, giving fist bumps to the few remaining fans as we passed the tables on our way out. :lol:
Last edited by TimS_TheToolman on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimS_TheToolman

I thought about doing a review of the concerts but, not sure I should, I'm not very accurate. In Plano I confused Daniel W and Victor W between their solos at the M&G. Daniel was quick corrected me. :oops:
TimS_TheToolman

Got another special moment. One of the boys, who shall remain unnamed, told myself and a couple others about his audition for the choir at his school. How he made the cut at each round until he was selected to join. He finished his story with: "I didn't know I was auditioning for a famous choir." :o

Edit: I hope I quoted him correctly.
Last edited by TimS_TheToolman on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Thank you henrylonghorn, frankstuart, Egorbea2018 and swalker2001 for your reviews. It is always such a joy for us, who can't attend, to read about how the concert was. The reviews give us a bit feeling of the concert and make us feel almost as being there.

Welcome Egorbea2018 and swalker2001 to the forum. I hope you will stay and contribute even if the US tour is over.

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 am">5 years ago</span> It was my second concert. I am actually a pretty recent fan but a very enthusiastic one. I found Libera on the winter of 2016 when I was looking for the song Gaudete in YouTube sang by Angel Voices’s soloist Adam Harris....
Hello Egorbea2018! It looks like we are exactly of the same age concerning being a Libera fan. :D I discovered them myself in winter 2016 when I was looking for some interesting Christmas music on YT. I'm glad that you decided to join. :D

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 pm">5 years ago</span> I am the day – Alexander Gula soloist with Oliver Mycka and Peter Kielty on harmonies and the whispered parts. Alex was outstanding on this song. Alex has a velvety smooth flawless voice full of emotion. His voice has matured and he sounds even better than he did last year. Another fan mentioned this was his favorite of the night, and it was mine too. I even told Alex how great he was when I saw him at the meet & greet. He was better, in my opinion, than Libera greats Ben Crawley and Josh Madine. This was the best performance of the night.
I heard this song in London 2017 and Ely 2018. Ely was better. Now it seems to be even better than that! WOW! How much I hope that Alex will be able to keep his voice at least till the end of this year.

TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm">5 years ago</span> And if I may add a side note about Moose. Despite kidnapping attempts possibly scaring him :wink: , Moose seemed to be just fine. He was present for the M&G after the Plano concert and, at the end of the session was, along with the boys, giving fist bumps to the few remaining fans as we pasted the tables on our way out. :lol:
TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:01 pm">5 years ago</span> I thought about doing a review of the concerts but, not sure I should, I'm not very accurate. In Plano I confused Daniel W and Victor W between their solos at the M&G. Daniel was quick corrected me. :oops:
TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:09 pm">5 years ago</span> Got another special moment. One of the boys, who shall remain unnamed, told myself and a couple others about his audition for the choir at his school. How he made the cut at each round until he was selected to join. He finished his story with: "I had no idea I was auditioning for a famous choir." :o
Thank you Tim for your funny remarks. :D :D :D They are much appreciated. Such things always give a special feeling of a concert or the time around it. So, more please, if you still have something interesting to share.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your memories with us.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 pm">5 years ago</span> The Prayer – newbie Daniel White did the solo. Wow. We can expect great things from him. He was better than Isaac London who is my favorite. Daniel’s performance was flawless and full of emotion. All boys were kneeling behind him at the beginning of the song. The song had the same staging as when Isaac did it in Washington D.C. In the programme this song came after In Paradisum.
Agree, Daniel is amazing how he manages that solo at the age of 9. We were all surprised in Ely, when he did the solo at his first ever full concert! We can expect great things to come from him. Though, Isaac's rendition of "The Prayer" remains my favourite. I wouldn't say Daniel is better than Isaac from what I heard in Ely and on the live stream from Plano. Not yet. Daniel has still plenty of time and I'm so glad to be able to follow his development in the years to come.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Agree, Daniel is amazing how he manages that solo at the age of 9. We were all surprised in Ely, when he did the solo at his first ever full concert! We can expect great things to come from him. Though, Isaac's rendition of "The Prayer" remains my favourite. I wouldn't say Daniel is better than Isaac from what I heard in Ely and on the live stream from Plano. Not yet. Daniel has still plenty of time and I'm so glad to be able to follow his development in the years to come.
[/quote]

I just meant Daniel sounded better than when Isaac did The Prayer in the Washington D.C. DVD. Isaac had many spectacular solos throughout his Libera career and Daniel is just starting. Maybe Daniel will be as great as Isaac as he matures in his singing career. None of the boys in the current group (or the group from 4 years ago) has done as many different solo songs as Isaac did. In the current group, in my opinion, Alex Gula, Merlin Brouwer, and Rocco Tesei as soloists are on their way to become some of the Libera greats of their generation like Isaac and Tom Delgado-Little were on theirs.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:51 pm">5 years ago</span>
TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm">5 years ago</span> And if I may add a side note about Moose. Despite kidnapping attempts possibly scaring him :wink: , Moose seemed to be just fine. He was present for the M&G after the Plano concert and, at the end of the session was, along with the boys, giving fist bumps to the few remaining fans as we pasted the tables on our way out. :lol:
TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:01 pm">5 years ago</span> I thought about doing a review of the concerts but, not sure I should, I'm not very accurate. In Plano I confused Daniel W and Victor W between their solos at the M&G. Daniel was quick corrected me. :oops:
TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:09 pm">5 years ago</span> Got another special moment. One of the boys, who shall remain unnamed, told myself and a couple others about his audition for the choir at his school. How he made the cut at each round until he was selected to join. He finished his story with: "I had no idea I was auditioning for a famous choir." :o
Thank you Tim for your funny remarks. :D :D :D They are much appreciated. Such things always give a special feeling of a concert or the time around it. So, more please, if you still have something interesting to share.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your memories with us.
I agree with Andmar! Do not feel bad about getting the members mixed up, there have been so many over so many years that it's a wonder these errors happen as infrequently as they do.

Please feel free to write any review or summary you feel you want to share. Factual accuracy is far less important than sharing songs or moments in a song that affected you; or funny moments like about that unnamed chorister :lol:. He didn't know what he was in for when he joined! :lol: :D
TimS_TheToolman

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:51 pm">5 years ago</span> we pasted
Oops! Misspelled "passed." Didn't catch it. :oops:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 pm">5 years ago</span> I wouldn't say Daniel is better than Isaac from what I heard in Ely and on the live stream from Plano. Not yet. Daniel has still plenty of time and I'm so glad to be able to follow his development in the years to come.
Well, assuming that Daniel is the soloist for that song on the upcoming album, it will be interesting to hear how he sounds in a studio setting where he doesn't have to deal with "stage fright." I've only heard him on the live stream from St. Andrew's, and I think nervousness affected his voice to some degree.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

I think it's nice to be able to have videos and recordings of the same song sung by different folks over the years. It gives us an opportunity to appreciate the qualities of everyone. Libera always does such a fine job of continuously training the young men for different parts.

Some soloists may excel in tone, expression, pronunciation, breath control, confidence, or just that indescribable quality that gives the song wings. I hesitate to say that any is better, but that I enjoy what they did well.

Actually, in DC was the only time I was at a meet-n-greet, and I thanked them not so much for their talent (which is kind of obvious), but for their time and hard work, and to thank their families for allowing them to invest part of their lives in the "Libera family" as well. (They don't get to come with them, and sometimes sacrifice vacation time together.)
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:24 pm">5 years ago</span>

I'm pessimistic about Nearer being recorded for two reasons. The first is that it is not even on the program. While I am not sure why that is, it seems to demonstrate a sort of lack of commitment to the song....maybe. The other reason is that no fully acapella song has ever been recorded by them on an album (please correct me if I am wrong). The only exception was the "Danny Boy" live video, but that's a video not an album track. I have more hope for a live recording in that vein than it being on the CD. But I pray for one or the other or both! :D
I found four a capella songs. Be Still my soul is in studio albums – Free and Angel Voices 2006; in various compilations like Eternal and Song of Life collection; and live in the Washington D.C. DVD (my favorite version because it has eight boys with the tenor/bass voices which gives it a richer sound).

Mother of God, which is also in Eternal, is the second song. The Lamb in New Dawn is the third. Danny Boy, which is in the Christmas in Ireland DVD, is the fourth. These three were mentioned by you or someone else.

I saw Alessandro and an unknown adult man filming the Plano, TX concert with a large video camera. Hopefully, they will release a short clip of Near my God to thee in the Libera official website or on Youtube.
Noob

Post by Noob »

TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm">5 years ago</span> And if I may add a side note about Moose. Despite kidnapping attempts possibly scaring him :wink: , Moose seemed to be just fine. He was present for the M&G after the Plano concert and, at the end of the session was, along with the boys, giving fist bumps to the few remaining fans as we passed the tables on our way out. :lol:
i'm relieved to hear that Moose was fine.

i must admit, i do worry about Moose sometimes. i was concerned that he would get a bad case of stage fright and run off to God knows where, which i'm sure would have greatly concerned the kids and chaperones.
There is nothing quite like a sweet treble voice.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:23 am">5 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:24 pm">5 years ago</span>

I'm pessimistic about Nearer being recorded for two reasons. The first is that it is not even on the program. While I am not sure why that is, it seems to demonstrate a sort of lack of commitment to the song....maybe. The other reason is that no fully acapella song has ever been recorded by them on an album (please correct me if I am wrong). The only exception was the "Danny Boy" live video, but that's a video not an album track. I have more hope for a live recording in that vein than it being on the CD. But I pray for one or the other or both! :D
I found four a capella songs. Be Still my soul is in studio albums – Free and Angel Voices 2006; in various compilations like Eternal and Song of Life collection; and live in the Washington D.C. DVD (my favorite version because it has eight boys with the tenor/bass voices which gives it a richer sound).

Mother of God, which is also in Eternal, is the second song. The Lamb in New Dawn is the third. Danny Boy, which is in the Christmas in Ireland DVD, is the fourth. These three were mentioned by you or someone else.
Yes, I stood corrected earlier about "Mother of God" and "The Lamb" and you are right about the DVD version of "Danny Boy" too. Things are looking up and up with every fact I get wrong :oops: :lol: :roll: LOL!

But I am afraid that "Be Still My Soul" definitely has instrumentation; maybe not at the beginning but elsewhere in the song. You can hear strings during several parts.
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:23 am">5 years ago</span> I saw Alessandro and an unknown adult man filming the Plano, TX concert with a large video camera. Hopefully, they will release a short clip of Near my God to thee in the Libera official website or on Youtube.
That would be amazing! :D