Origin of Various Libera Songs

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Origin of Various Libera Songs

Post by filiarheni »

Here is some background to the very impressive If.

The song originally belongs to the 1995 Japanese anime film "Anne no Nikki" ("Anne's Diary") which follows the diary of Anne Frank. Its soundtrack was written by the British composer Michael Nyman (*1944) and contains two vocal pieces with lyrics by Roger Pulvers (*1944), one of which is "If", sung by Hilary Sumers. "If" was no entirely new song. In fact, Nyman included his earlier piece "Time Lapse" he wrote for the film "A Zed & Two Noughts" (1985), which results in an interesting combination.

There's one full version of "Anne no Nikki" available on Youtube, in Russian language and, sadly, lacking subtitles, but still, here we have the opportunity to hear the original music in correlation with the scenes it's assigned to.

A first instrumental allusion to the song occurs at 36:20. The full song can be heard at 1:08:57. It accompanies a sequence of short flashes on the families' everyday life in their two year hiding place, and it is very touching how these scenes form a subtle contrast to the cruel reality lying under the allegedly harmless surface. Here, the word "If" gets palpably meaningful.

A shortened English film version can be found on Youtube. Strangely, Nyman's soundtrack was replaced with compositions by Carine Gutlerner. I have no explanation for that. 

If by Libera
Well ... 8)
I'd have loved to add a link to Libera's video, but as we are still waiting for its release, let's add it (or ed-it :wink: ) later.

Now to the lyrics. They are absolutely in the foreground in this song, key to the emotion it causes. The music complements them to an immensely poignant unity.

If at the sound of a wish
The summer sun would shine
And if just a smile would do
To brush all the clouds from the sky

If at the blink of an eye
The autumn leaves would whirl
And if you could sigh a deep sigh
To scatter them over the earth

I'd blink my eyes
And wave my arms
I'd wish a wish
To stop all harm

If at the wave of a hand
The winter snows would start
And if you could just light a candle
To change people's feelings and hearts

I'd whisper love
In every land
To every child
Woman and man

That's what I'd do
If my wishes come true
That's what I'd do
If my wishes come true

Pulvers newly created them and there's no original quotation from Anne's diary. The words are not explicitly related to her specific situation so that they are universally applicable over space and time. However, there are parts which can be associated with the real diary. The song uses a number of metaphors from nature and reveals Anne's humanistic attitude towards life throughout. Both strongly come to light in her diary: her love for nature and for mankind.

Here are a few of her thoughts which Pulvers may arguably have drawn on. It goes without saying that he may not have referred to a concrete part at all.

"I see the eight of us in the rear building as if we were a piece of blue sky, surrounded by black, black rain clouds. The round spot we are standing on is still safe, but the clouds are getting closer and closer and the ring that separates us from the approaching danger is getting narrower." (08.11.1943)

"I have a happy nature, I love people, I am not suspicious and I want everyone to be happy with me." (25.03.1944)

"We still love life, we have not yet forgotten the voice of nature, we still hope, hope for everything." (26.05.1944)

"It's a wonder that I haven't given up all expectations, because they seem absurd and unfeasible. Nevertheless, I hold on to them, despite everything, because I still believe in the inner good in people. 
It is simply impossible for me to base everything on death, misery and confusion. I see how the world is slowly turning more and more into a desert, I hear the rolling thunder louder and louder, which will also kill us, I feel the suffering of millions of people. And yet, when I look at the sky, I think that everything will turn out fine again, that this hardship will also cease, that quiet and peace will come back into the world order. In the meantime I have to hold up my ideas, in the times that come they can maybe still carried out!" (15.07.1944)

[Edited for lyrics correction 10.07.2021]
Last edited by filiarheni on Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Wow! I feel like you gave this song a real academic treatment. Libera's version sounds more pure and sincere with the use of treble voices, but the arrangement seems nearly identical.

Anyway, thank you for an interesting read and researched insights into the song! :D
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Thank you so much for the background of 'If', filiarheni :!: I really enjoyed your posting.

As a German, I'm so grateful that they are dealing with the sad story of Anne Frank, representative for the countless fates during that dark times. One of the serveral things I like about Libera is how they throw light on several historical aspects with their songs, like child labour, fate of the emigrants or WW1.

Do you think the video of 'If' might be embedded in a historical scenery as well?
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:28 am">3 years ago</span> Wow! I feel like you gave this song a real academic treatment. Libera's version sounds more pure and sincere with the use of treble voices, but the arrangement seems nearly identical.
Thank you! If is an unusual, particular song which deserved some dedication. :) It comes with an interesting background and I feel quite connected to it in various regards,

Hilary Sumers's voice has a dark timbre and so for me it fits very well to the song. Libera's version is brighter, and despite the pain coming through, I think it conveys more hope, more promise to really go and do something, compared to the original. The longing is the same, though, to my ears.

It certainly showers me with goosebumps and it's hard not to cry.

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:24 am">3 years ago</span> Thank you so much for the background of 'If', filiarheni :!: I really enjoyed your posting.

As a German, I'm so grateful that they are dealing with the sad story of Anne Frank, representative for the countless fates during that dark times. One of the serveral things I like about Libera is how they throw light on several historical aspects with their songs, like child labour, fate of the emigrants or WW1.

Do you think the video of 'If' might be embedded in a historical scenery as well?
Thanks to you as well. I like that too. I'm not sure about the video though. Perhaps they use a setting which underlines the universal component? No idea, we'll see. Although you're right about Libera taking on various problems, they apparently prefer not to be too political. Otherwise, I could have imagined that they revisit "We are the Lost" in 2018 or would have published the If video on 27th January.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:24 am">3 years ago</span> Thank you so much for the background of 'If', filiarheni :!: I really enjoyed your posting.

A little over 10 years ago Libera did a music video of Be Still My Soul themed around the holocaust. I believe the video was presented on Songs of Praise. "If" would be a good choice for a repeat performance.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:13 am">3 years ago</span>

A little over 10 years ago Libera did a music video of Be Still My Soul themed around the holocaust. I believe the video was presented on Songs of Praise. "If" would be a good choice for a repeat performance.
It would but sadly 'Songs of Praise' got a make over a couple of years ago and now seems to be lacking in decent music and, ironically, half the time you would struggle to know it was supposed to be a religious programme (I haven't watched it since the early days of the relaunch to be honest so it might have improved since then but as we can tell from the lack of posts here, Libera haven't appeared on it for ages).
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:08 pm">3 years ago</span>

It would but sadly 'Songs of Praise' got a make over a couple of years ago and now seems to be lacking in decent music and, ironically, half the time you would struggle to know it was supposed to be a religious programme (I haven't watched it since the early days of the relaunch to be honest so it might have improved since then but as we can tell from the lack of posts here, Libera haven't appeared on it for ages).
When approximately did this change occur? Was it before or after Libera did the WW1 special in 2014. That's the last SOP music video I can remember Libera performing, not counting mixed choir venues like 'The Big Sing'.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:52 am">3 years ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:08 pm">3 years ago</span>
When approximately did this change occur? Was it before or after Libera did the WW1 special in 2014. That's the last SOP music video I can remember Libera performing, not counting mixed choir venues like 'The Big Sing'.
Well, I think the change occurred late 2014 so probably post WW1 special (which was filmed earlier in the summer I would guess).

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So in the past 6 years has SOP done any memorial specials, such as Remembrance Day, the Holocaust, etc.?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Can't be 100% sure but I don't think so - I also wonder if Mr Prizeman is no longer involved in the show given that Libera now seem to be no longer invited to perform.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

I don't know if Robert still has direct involvement in Songs of Praise. Currently the most prominent " Musical Director" is Ken Burton.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.45.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.45.26 AM.png (586.27 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.45.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.45.26 AM.png (586.27 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

There have been many changes to the programme since 2014. Efforts to improve ratings by "widening its appeal" to a younger and more diverse audience has probably just succeeded in losing its core audience.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.25.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.25.22 AM.png (1019.12 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.25.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.25.22 AM.png (1019.12 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
It is no longer an in-house production
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.17.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.17.16 AM.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3994 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.17.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.17.16 AM.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3994 times
Most recently it has been moved from its prime time evening slot to early afternoon.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.14.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.14.59 AM.png (89.7 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.14.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.14.59 AM.png (89.7 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.18.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.18.32 AM.png (178.93 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.18.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.18.32 AM.png (178.93 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
Robert's introductory music has survived. Here is a full version
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I seem to recall reading that he retired from his position with Songs of Praise, but I'm not certain when.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:02 am">3 years ago</span> I seem to recall reading that he retired from his position with Songs of Praise, but I'm not certain when.
Yes, 'retired' can be used to cover a multitude of scenarios :wink: . Looking at John's detailed posts above, it seems that if you wanted to think of a way to destroy a TV show and have it's viewing numbers plummet you just need to follow what the BBC has done to SoP. Mr Ahmed must be very pleased with his success.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

As we know and marked earlier in this thread, Robert likes to intersperse Gregorian chants here and there in his compositions, which is one of the attractive features that make Libera's music so special.

With Lux Aeterna on the upcoming album we have another song of that sort now: The song is known, but newly preceded by an extract of this Gregorian In paradisum chant, before the familiar part, the mysterious intro of the first version (1999), begins.

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Oh yes! The various plainchants are used really well; especially since they started incorporating them as the intros to concerts. :D