Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Post by filiarheni »

Wow, fan_de_LoK, that's absolutely fantastic! :D :D I really enjoyed reading it! Now and then, I had thought about creating such a list out of the concert to calculate a certain probability, if and when a particular song may appear (again) at a concert. But what for, since it's all ready, as you've just presented it. Many thanks!

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 pm">6 years ago</span>
  • I keep 12 songs from Ely 2017 :
    - Sanctus, unavoidable,
    - Salva Me, unavoidable,
    - Libera, unavoidable,
    - Wayfaring Stranger, a must
    - From a Distance, a flagship song from last year,
    - Smile, a flagship song from last year,
    - Joyful Joyfull, because it is used a lot in recent years,
    - Amazing Grace, because it is used used in recent years
    - Angele Dei, because I really love it
    - Dreaming of Home, because I really love it,
    - Wonderful World, in anticipation of the summer tour 2 months later,
    - Far Away, because I like it
"I really love" your categories. :lol:

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 pm">6 years ago</span> [*]I now chose 6 songs from the repertoire to reappear in at this Spring UK concert:
- Mysterium, of course, one of the universal favourite I guess,
- Voca me, the same, one of everyone's favourite,
- Stay With Me, because it just appeared during the last tour in China and it was very successful with Oliver, I don't think that Robert can already stop to have it in the list,
- I am the Day, because of same reason, it just comes back in Westminster Cathedral, it was successful, there is no reason not to have it in Ely
- How Great Thou Art, because it was perfectly mastered by Alex G, it was used in 2017 and there is the 2018 tour in the USA coming soon,
- Secret, because I saw it often mentioned in the exchanges here and indeed it would be nice to have it back in concert :)
:D It's very nice to find Voca Me and Mysterium on your list, too. I'm waiting so much to hear Mysterium once in my life live. I also still can't believe that so many fans share my affinity for the song I love most, Voca Me. And I'm happy that you added Secret and that one of the reasons [edit: I meant: of your reasons] for putting it on the list is the wish of other fans. :)

Hopefully, you will be right in many points!

I had plenty of fun reading it all, above all I like the details about the reasons - very interesting for me! I can relate to almost all of it, so I have nothing more to add. :D
Last edited by filiarheni on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

filiarheni wrote:It's very nice to find Voca Me and Mysterium on your list, too. I'm waiting so much to hear Mysterium once in my life live. I also still can't believe that so many fans share my affinity for the song I love most, Voca Me.
It is your post 3 days ago (here) that motivated me to start working on my own list :)
I too really really want to have these too songs at each possible concerts, they represent faithfully the image I have of a libera concert.

Also, because I sadly missed the last two concerts where Mysterium was performed, at Summer 2015 in UK.
My last live experience of it goes back 5 years now, Guildford 2013, which is an eternity when hoping for the song at each concert since !! :lol:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I always think Voca Me and Mysterium cancel each other out if they are played in the same concert as both are similar and they always sound better when they open the second half of the concert and it’s gotten dark outside. It just adds to the atmosphere to me.

Thank you Patrick for the stats and I definitely think the concert will be set up in a way that is a hint towards the U.S Tour in August as concerts seem to be a lot more samey with less song changes involved overall. I gusss with the a lot of new boys it makes sense to stick to the tried and tested.

I can not imagine Secret being brought as it’s such a random choice of a song to bring back. If they wanted to do fan service it would be Vespera which fans have been asking for the last 5 years without any luck 😀😀

I can see something like Sing For Ever being brought back as it’s goes back to their roots.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Wow FDL! :shock: I love your data analysis as always, it brings a new unique perspective to the discussion. I would be perfectly content with your set list personally, but my hope is to also hear something either brand new or something that has not been sung regularly (Lament or Secret for example).
dani wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 pm">6 years ago</span>
Lament has been sung live but I’m sure the name had been changed but it was identical to lament and it didn’t stay on the set list long.

ETA

I love the forum and how easy it is to check facts. So it was played at Epsom playhouse and was called “ Lamentione“ and the date was 18th March 2011.
Thank you for looking this up and clarifying for me; much appreciated. I should have searched before asking the question. That it was sung live and under a different name is incredibly surprising to me. Amazing what knowledge the dedicated fans of Libera can bring to bear!
WolfPaul wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:33 pm">6 years ago</span> Well, this will be my first Libera concert, and I only started listening to their music since Christmas. Consequently I think I shall be happy whatever the programme ends up being! Looking forward to it lots :D
Welcome to Libera Dreams WolfPaul! Your first concert and your first post here? Excellent. Perhaps you would care to share about how you found Libera at the new member sub-forum? I am not the only one who is curious as to how others discovered this amazing choir. If not, that's okay too, but hopefully you will join us in our pre-concert speculations and post-concert reviews all the same! :D
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

The countdown is on, the set-list has been established (wish set list), and now we are waiting to see which boys are going to show up in Ely.
The mass couple weeks ago at Buckfast Abby had a picture of the group performing there. 34 boys. Isaac (italy) & Alessandro (unknown) were missing due to other trips.
34 seems a quiet big number for e performance, but i'm sure Patrick has the figures for the size of the choir per concert=)))))) so the question is, will some of the newbies from the Buckfast Abby performance not take part in the Ely concert, but Isaac and Alessandro will join again? or will it be a total of 34+2 in Ely?

I don't have statistics, but i have the feeling the choir has a lower average age right now (xmas-concert already), and for a big US trip it might be e help for the younger boys to build on experienced boys like Isaac and Alessandro....so i am wishing/hoping that those 2 will join in Ely and the US, but i doubt we will see them again at the xmas concert 2018.

PS: I might have a ticket opening in row D, can't confirm it yet but if someone wants to be added on the "waiting list" let me know.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:40 pm">6 years ago</span> The mass couple weeks ago at Buckfast Abby had a picture of the group performing there. 34 boys. Isaac (italy) & Alessandro (unknown) were missing due to other trips.
34 seems a quiet big number for e performance, but i'm sure Patrick has the figures for the size of the choir per concert=)))))) so the question is, will some of the newbies from the Buckfast Abby performance not take part in the Ely concert, but Isaac and Alessandro will join again? or will it be a total of 34+2 in Ely?
There were 34 boys in Ely 2017 and even 42 in London 2016. I don't know, if 42 is the record.

I don't actually know and haven't looked it up, but it would seem reasonable to me that Libera uses, as a rule, the spring concerts to have as many boys as possible in the line-up. Thus, the newbies of the Christmas concerts have already a little bit of experience, they increase their experience by another concert, there's not much traveling or staying overnight for the very young and new ones and not everyone of them has the chance to already join the concert tours.

So there's no better opportunity to have all of them on stage without the nervousness of the very first performance for the youngest.

dani wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 am">6 years ago</span> I always think Voca Me and Mysterium cancel each other out if they are played in the same concert as both are similar and they always sound better when they open the second half of the concert and it’s gotten dark outside. It just adds to the atmosphere to me.
Hm, I would rather say that for Voca Me and Recordare, but you are right, there is something similar in Voca Me's and Mysterium's atmosphere, as they are both very mysterious songs with quite some drama.

I will keep up my hope to have them both, as there were concerts where both of them were performed. Withouth having experienced it myself, only listening to other fans' concert stories, Mysterium as opener of the second half seems the optimum also to me. Voca Me in contrast is equally welcome to me at any place of the set list as long as it just is performed at all. :mrgreen: But I can relate to you saying that placing it right there as well as Mysterium adds to the atmosphere.

dani wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 am">6 years ago</span> I can not imagine Secret being brought as it’s such a random choice of a song to bring back. If they wanted to do fan service it would be Vespera which fans have been asking for the last 5 years without any luck 😀😀
I agree with you. The chances for Secret are negligibly small for the upcoming concert, unfortunately (although in London 2016 I asked Josh to speak for us :wink: ). But I won't give up my hope. It would make be super happy.

@fan_de_LoK, from your statistics I gather that We Are The Lost so far has never been performed live in a full concert, correct? I can only repeat myself that this would be the year of all to take it into the concert set list. If Robert ever intended to perform this very beautiful song, it would be logical and perfect to do it now. It would convey a very particular meaning. I hope and hope and hope. :)

And I am always eager to hear brand new songs (by Robert ... 8) ). But although at my Libera beginning I considered it as ideal to have 3 of such new songs, I am now prepared to reduce it to 1 song, just because I believe that I can live on one new song for a while and, as there is no new CD in sight, waiting for the recording of more than 1, which I'm able to bear for a while, would be a torture. :cry: :lol: Therefore: One never-heard-before song and I'm satisfied. :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

filiarheni @fan_de_LoK, from your statistics I gather that [b wrote:We Are The Lost [/b]so far has never been performed live in a full concert, correct?
I look closely on the Spring concerts, in UK, in the last 10 years. It is still possible that the song have been sung in concert at another time or another place. I let you check this :wink:
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

There is an article about Libera and the coming concert in Ely Cathedral, on the 'Eli Standard' which is a local weekly newspaper available across East Cambridgeshire including Sutton, Littleport and Ely.

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/chart ... -1-5494557
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Excellent find. Let us hope that this concert is even more successful than the one last year. :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:39 pm">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni @fan_de_LoK, from your statistics I gather that [b wrote:We Are The Lost [/b]so far has never been performed live in a full concert, correct?
I look closely on the Spring concerts, in UK, in the last 10 years. It is still possible that the song have been sung in concert at another time or another place. I let you check this :wink:
:shock: Thank you very much for giving me homework. :lol: I've been seriously thinking anyway about quitting my current job and taking a fulltime work on Libera-related matters instead. Utilisation would not be a problem ... :wink: But ok, let's have a look. Only for the last 10 years, too, and - except Edinburgh 2009, as I had no access to its set list, but as the song wasn't sung in other concerts that year, it won't have been sung there either - only for Europe, because it doesn't make sense to perform We Are The Lost in other continents, but not in Europe.
Provided I'm not blind, the result = zero.
And even if yes (earlier?), that would be no excuse for not singing it now. :P :mrgreen:

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 pm">6 years ago</span> As for my concert wishes: Secret and Vespera and Mysterium and How Shall I Sing That Majesty and Adoramus.
You stole my wishlist! :P (Well actually I would like O Sanctissima instead of Adoramus but the rest are all the same)
8) If our wishes are not fulfilled in Ely and the US this year, let's undertake a time travel to 2010, when Adoramus and Sanctissima were both sung in the same concerts. :D Plus Mysterium. Plus How Shall I Sing That Majesty. Minus Voca Me sadly. Plus many more very beautiful songs. The set list in 2010 was superb.

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:42 pm">6 years ago</span> There is an article about Libera and the coming concert in Ely Cathedral, on the 'Eli Standard' which is a local weekly newspaper available across East Cambridgeshire including Sutton, Littleport and Ely.
Thank you for posting the Libera article here! Hopefully, many people will read it, so some more will decide to come and fill the church. Last year, when there was the Eel Festival in Ely that weekend, a number of people obviously attended the concert spontaneously, perhaps after having heard Libera sing their sound check in the afternoon. The sound check was the best possible, palpable advertisement, as the Cathedral wasn't too well filled until then.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

We are Lost has definitely been performed at a UK concert and I would hazard a guess to it being around 2015 time.

I only remember it because I don’t really like the song and then when it was sung live I actually really enjoyed it 🙈

It is another song that didn’t stay on the set list long.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Hats off to Patrick for the analysis! I love reading it, thank you. And thanks also for the news article. :D

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:40 pm">6 years ago</span> I don't have statistics, but i have the feeling the choir has a lower average age right now (xmas-concert already), and for a big US trip it might be e help for the younger boys to build on experienced boys like Isaac and Alessandro....so i am wishing/hoping that those 2 will join in Ely and the US, but i doubt we will see them again at the xmas concert 2018.
You spoke my mind. They add the depth to songs that need power parts. Libera does not have enough elder members now to sound 'rich' enough in those parts without these two, I think.
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Protiusmime

Post by Protiusmime »

My hope for and wish list of songs for Ely and the US Tour would be:

1. Miserere Mei Deus
2. Beau Soir
3. Benedictus Deus
4. Willow, Show Me the Wind
5. Dreaming of Home
6. Messiah, Handel or Hallelujah Chorus

Additional two for sure:
7. Sacris Solemnis
8. Vespera
Last edited by Protiusmime on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Bad news on my end. I'm not going to be making the journey to the Ely Concert. :(
I have one ticket for seating in row M, seat 3. If anyone can use this PM me.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

dani wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:41 pm">6 years ago</span> We are Lost has definitely been performed at a UK concert and I would hazard a guess to it being around 2015 time.

I only remember it because I don’t really like the song and then when it was sung live I actually really enjoyed it 🙈

It is another song that didn’t stay on the set list long.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Really ?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
"We Are The Lost" in a UK concert? Do you remember at which concert(s) it was? I scrolled through sources known to me (Libera Timeline, Libera-songs.de) and I couldn't find any trace of that song except of course the BBC Songs Of Praise WW1 remembrance from 2014. I would be grateful if you could recall more details. Thank you.