Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Re: Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 pm">6 years ago</span> As for my concert wishes: Secret and Vespera and Mysterium and How Shall I Sing That Majesty and Adoramus.
You stole my wishlist! :P (Well actually I would like O Sanctissima instead of Adoramus but the rest are all the same)

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 pm">6 years ago</span> Okay - forcing myself to keep my feet on the ground, I'd really like to hear Angele Dei again in that mighty Cathedral when this song's sound soars up and spreads in the room, wow!
I've added this one to my "must listen to in a cathedral (rather than a concert hall)" list. I just listened to it yesterday and the effect it caused on me yesterday was stronger than ever!!

Jay_S wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:24 am">6 years ago</span> This concert could be a preview of what will be performed on the US tour this Summer.
Yes, absolutely. I'm getting more & more curious.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 pm">6 years ago</span> Since an international trip for the purpose of seeing Libera is such an unusual and out of character thing for me to do, it won't seem real to me until I am actually at the airport.
EXACTLY how I feel back then. Have a good trip and enjoy the concert, everyone! 8) (And then it'll be time for some interesting reviews) :roll:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 pm">6 years ago</span> As for my concert wishes: Secret and Vespera and Mysterium and How Shall I Sing That Majesty and Adoramus.
You stole my wishlist! :P (Well actually I would like O Sanctissima instead of Adoramus but the rest are all the same)
:lol: :D Ok, let's make a virtue out of necessity: Together we're stronger and the more we are in our votes, the more hope we might have to get Robert softened ... one day ... :wink:

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm">6 years ago</span> Have a good trip and enjoy the concert, everyone! (And then it'll be time for some interesting reviews)
Thank you! (But oh, you play into Surpinto's hands ... :shock: :P )

Jay_S wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:24 am">6 years ago</span> This concert could be a preview of what will be performed on the US tour this Summer.

I'm not good at speculating but I do enjoy the thoughts of the rest of you as to what will be performed and what songs are on your wish list! :D
Which means, if the Ely concert foreshadows the US tour set list, then you can contribute here, too:
Please, let us know what you want us to hear in Ely! :mrgreen:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I would settle for any of these songs from Hope. I unfortunately think I will not get my wishes answered but worth a shot :)

Three Ravens
Home
Benedictus Deus
Venite Adoremus
Stabat Mater
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:32 pm">6 years ago</span>
Jay_S wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:47 am">6 years ago</span> It's less than 3 weeks until the concert in Ely! Where is the 'Buzz' ! Isn't anyone excited about this concert? :shock: Let's go! Make some noise!! :P :P :D :D
You are right, now I miss the Forum clock ticking the countdown. :wink:
Oh, my bad.

Things have been hectic for me these past couple of months. Its only a small task, but I completely forgot to set the countdown. :oops: :oops:

Done!
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

My personal wishlist:

1) What A Wonderful World
2) Eternal Light
3) Home

and in no particular order:
I'm Dreaming Of Home
You Were There
Sancte
The Fountain
Benedictus Deus
Last edited by maartendas on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

My concert wishes would be as yours plus Jubilate, Ave Virgo and Stay with me.

Lament would make a perfect evening even if none of the above was in the set list.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

paul wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:49 pm">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:32 pm">6 years ago</span>
Jay_S wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:47 am">6 years ago</span> It's less than 3 weeks until the concert in Ely! Where is the 'Buzz' ! Isn't anyone excited about this concert? :shock: Let's go! Make some noise!! :P :P :D :D
You are right, now I miss the Forum clock ticking the countdown. :wink:
Oh, my bad.

Things have been hectic for me these past couple of months. Its only a small task, but I completely forgot to set the countdown. :oops: :oops:

Done!
But you are here on the spot, when we call you. :) Thank you, paul!

maartendas wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:51 pm">6 years ago</span> My personal wishlist:

1) What A Wonderful World
2) Eternal Light
3) Home

and in no particular order:
I'm Dreaming Of Home
You Were There
Sancte
The Fountain
Benedictus Deus
I second several of them, but most of all Sancte, which I forgot earlier.
And I also complement my wish list by We are the Lost. If not this year - then when?
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

This is a long list for my perfect Ely concert (in no particular order):

Time
Love & Mercy
Ave Verum
Locus Iste (Sanctus 3)
Twilight
Attendite
Deep Peace
How Great Thou Art
Nunc Dimitis (BenB solo please)
Vespera
Going Home
I am the Day
Stay with Me
Agnus Dei
Lament
Adore Te
Plus three new songs
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Not too much longer and the anticipation builds as we imagine what sort of amazing repertoire Libera will perform for us! :D Several have mentioned "Lament" as a wished-for song, I would agree. That was always one of my favorites on "Free". Never sung live though, right? I would also love to hear "Angele Dei" performed again.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:00 am">6 years ago</span> Not too much longer and the anticipation builds as we imagine what sort of amazing repertoire Libera will perform for us! :D Several have mentioned "Lament" as a wished-for song, I would agree. That was always one of my favorites on "Free". Never sung live though, right? I would also love to hear "Angele Dei" performed again.

Lament has been sung live but I’m sure the name had been changed but it was identical to lament and it didn’t stay on the set list long.

ETA

I love the forum and how easy it is to check facts. So it was played at Epsom playhouse and was called “ Lamentione“ and the date was 18th March 2011.
WolfPaul

Post by WolfPaul »

Well, this will be my first Libera concert, and I only started listening to their music since Christmas. Consequently I think I shall be happy whatever the programme ends up being! Looking forward to it lots :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Seeing that many speculate or express their wishes about the songs for Ely, I wanted to enter the dance too :)
Sorry for being too long here bellow. It took me a while to think to the result.

Being a Cartesian guy, at first I thought that with a few statistics I should be able to have an accurate target for 2018, but in the end my conclusion is that I can not conclude :lol:
The variations are too broad and random to allow to establish reliable projection rules.

Here is my approach,
I started by collecting the songs from the last 10 years of UK concert, starting with the 2008 Queen Elizabeth Hall concert.
Thanks a lot to www.libera-songs.de for the data source :D

I counted for each concert:

(See the image for details).
  • The number of songs: On this point the variations are not too important, it varies from 18 (Ely 2017) to 22 (Arundel 2009), with an average of 20
  • Continued songs (green) compared to the previous year: ranges from 8 (Ely 2017) to 17 (Guildford 2013), which is more than doubles. Average 12-13, but not representative.
  • Stopped songs compared to the previous year: varies from 3 (Guilford 2013) to 11 (Arundel 2010), which is almost a variation of the simple to quadrule! Average is 7, but not representative
  • New songs (pink) that have not yet been sung in a Spring UK concert: ranges from 0 (Arundel 2012) to 6 (Arundel 2010). Average is 3, but not representative
  • Reappearing songs (yellow) that were not sung the previous year, but were already known in the Libera repertoire: ranges from 2 (Arundel 2014) to 8 (Arundel 2012). Average 4, but not representative.

And just for information, here is the list of the 66 different songs that have been sung at least once during the last 10 Spring concerts in UK, with the number of times each :
10 - Salva Me
10 - Sanctus
08 - Exultate
08 - Libera
08 - Orinoco Flow
07 - Stay With Me
06 - Far Away
06 - Gloria
06 - How Shall I Sing That Majesty?
06 - Song of Life
05 - How Can I Keep From Singing?
04 - Always With You
04 - Amazing Grace
04 - Ave Verum
04 - Dies Irae
04 - Dreaming Of Home
04 - Glory To Thee My God This Night
04 - Joyful, Joyful
04 - Love And Mercy
04 - Mysterium
04 - Sacris Solemnis
04 - The Fountain
04 - Wayfaring Stranger
04 - What a Wonderful World
03 - Adoramus
03 - Eternal Light
03 - Going Home
03 - How Great Thou Art
03 - I Vow To Thee My Country
03 - Sanctissima
03 - Voca Me
03 - When A Knight Won His Spurs
02 - Angel
02 - Ave Maria
02 - Grateful Heart
02 - Hymn To Beauty
02 - I Am The Day
02 - Jubilate
02 - The Prayer
01 - Agnus Dei
01 - Angele Dei
01 - Arirang
01 - Bayan Ko
01 - Danny Boy
01 - Deep Peace
01 - Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep
01 - From A Distance
01 - Hymn to Mary
01 - Lacrymosa
01 - Lamentione
01 - Lullaby
01 - May The Road Rise Up
01 - Morning has Broken
01 - Nearer my God to Thee
01 - O for the wings of a dove
01 - Prayer
01 - Rest in peace
01 - Sakura
01 - San Damiano
01 - Sancte
01 - Secret
01 - Sempiterna
01 - Smile
01 - Time
01 - Wexford Carol

So, only 2 songs were sung at each and every concert in the last 10 years Spring UK concerts : Sanctus as predictable, and Salva Me.
On the opposite, 26 songs have been sung only once.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Now that my reflexion base is laid, here is my speculations for Ely 2018 :)

- I'm going on a total of 20 songs,
- 12 songs continued from Ely 2017, it's in the average, taken in account that there were only 18 songs last year,
- and so 6 songs from last year that I don't keep, it's in the average,
- 2 new songs, it is little but there is no new CD announced,
- and 6 songs that reappear from the repertoire. It's above average but the concert has to be filled, and then there were up to 8 in 2012 ;)

As a reminder, the songs of Ely 2017 were:
- Amazing Grace
- Angel
- Angele Dei
- Dies Irae
- Exultate
- Far Away
- From A Distance
- Dreaming Of Home
- Joyful Joyful
- Libera
- Sacris Solemnis
- Salva Me
- San Damiano
- Sanctus
- Sempiterna
- Smile
- Wayfaring Stranger
- Wonderful World

• I keep 12 songs from Ely 2017 :
    - Sanctus, unavoidable,
    - Salva Me, unavoidable,
    - Libera, unavoidable,
    - Wayfaring Stranger, a must
    - From a Distance, a flagship song from last year,
    - Smile, a flagship song from last year,
    - Joyful Joyfull, because it is used a lot in recent years,
    - Amazing Grace, because it is used used in recent years
    - Angele Dei, because I really love it
    - Dreaming of Home, because I really love it,
    - Wonderful World, in anticipation of the summer tour 2 months later,
    - Far Away, because I like it

I do not keep these 6 songs from Ely 2017,
    - Angel, because it has been used for 3 years by the USJ park in Osaka as Christmas musical theme, and I speculate that the park will replace it this year, to renew the public entertainment,
    - Exultate, in the hope that its absence at Westminster Cathedral was not just a fluke but a lasting decision (and hopefully final;))
    - San Damiano, I'm not a fan of this song, I receive the intro chorus as not very harmonious nor pleasant (just my taste)
    - Sempiterna, it was revived by the Hope CD and used in Japan in June but then seems to have been abandoned for the tours in the USA and China
    - Dies Irae, well, nothing special to say,
    - Sacris Solemnis, nothing special to say,

• I now chose 6 songs from the repertoire to reappear in at this Spring UK concert:
    - Mysterium, of course, one of the universal favourite I guess,
    - Voca me, the same, one of everyone's favourite,
    - Stay With Me, because it just appeared during the last tour in China and it was very successful with Oliver, I don't think that Robert can already stop to have it in the list,
    - I am the Day, because of same reason, it just comes back in Westminster Cathedral, it was successful, there is no reason not to have it in Ely
    - How Great Thou Art, because it was perfectly mastered by Alex G, it was used in 2017 and there is the 2018 tour in the USA coming soon,
    - Secret, because I saw it often mentioned in the exchanges here and indeed it would be nice to have it back in concert :)

• And I count on 2 new songs, whom of course I have no idea about the titles.

In short, my speculation list is 20 songs, in alphabetical order:
Amazing Grace
Angele Dei
Dreaming of Home
Far Away
From a Distance
How Great Thou Art
I am the Day
Joyful Joyful
Libera
Mysterium
Salva Me
Sanctus
Secret
Smile
Stay With Me
Voca me
Wayfaring Stranger
What a Wonderful World
<new song 1>
<new song 2>
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I was sure that Lament was on a set list as Lamentione, But I could not remember where. Thank you Dani and FDL for clearing that up. I should of remembered, as Epsom was my second concert, and Lament is very high up on my favorites list.

Wow, I can't believe Epsom was 7 years ago. So much time, and so many concerts.

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 pm">6 years ago</span> Now that my reflexion base is laid, here is my speculations for Ely 2018 :)

- I'm going on a total of 20 songs,
- 12 songs continued from Ely 2017, it's in the average, taken in account that there were only 18 songs last year,
- and so 6 songs from last year that I don't keep, it's in the average,
- 2 new songs, it is little but there is no new CD announced,
- and 6 songs that reappear from the repertoire. It's above average but the concert has to be filled, and then there were up to 8 in 2012 ;)
If I was going to bet on the set list, I would place quite a large sum of money on your prediction. Amazing analasys of previous concerts. Lets see how your prediction pans out in a few weeks ;)

- Plato