Libera to tour USA - Summer 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Viktar

Re: Libera to tour USA

Post by Viktar »

Thanks guys, did my best given all the constraints. Someone was working with the camera during the performances, so I assume other pictures will appear eventually as well.

Libera Snow wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm">6 years ago</span> I wonder how you took them....as I like taking pictures.
I wish I would take the pictures at the concert like you did.
How do you mean? If you mean the gear, I use a little beast for these kind of events - Panasonic GM5 with some Leica lenses on top. If you mean how I managed to do it, well, there's a sweet spot right after each concert when you can try and take some pictures.
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Thank you for your explanation to my question,Viktar.
Yes,I meant both.
How do you mean? If you mean the gear, I use a little beast for these kind of events - Panasonic GM5 with some Leica lenses on top. If you mean how I managed to do it, well, there's a sweet spot right after each concert when you can try and take some pictures.
I have many lenses,but I cannot manage to use them yet.
It's interesting-Sweet Spot right(many be light?)
Not sure about sweet spot light as I have never been the concert,but I will try to take their picture better in Tulsa!

I look forward to my first concert!

Libera Snow
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 pm">6 years ago</span> Thanks for the reviews again, there will always be a few glitches and a few forgotten lyrics during live concerts it happens to the best of experienced performers let alone young children. From my experience they are very few and far between and only serves to provide an organic, realism to the concert when they do occur.
I notice that sometimes they did mess up the lyrics or the long notes (through watching some clips filmed by fans at some unreleased concerts), and I'm fine with that, too - they just cannot be perfect all the time. Actually, I even feel a little bit of relief (sue me!), it's like "Aaah, they are still human after all". :lol: Libera unconsciously appeared to my mind that they were somehow out of reach (especially when I first discovered them and was still in a hangover).

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 pm">6 years ago</span> Some comments on YouTube claim they must be lip syncing they cannot sound that good. Well if was 2hrs of pitch-note perfect, flawless, error-free CD like output, you could begin to wonder, but it's not like that because of the very fact it is their 'live' young voices singing out from the mics. You wouldn't have even coaxed me up on stage at that age.
Totally, I've watched the short clip of 'How Great Thou Art' that someone took during a church service and there's no way it was lip-synced. People should know that before the release of every concert (of literally every artist) there will be a state of audio edit, and that's where they make it perfect. However, since the first time I listen to Libera, I've already known that singing live is not so much a problem with this group. After all, they got many standing ovations from their audiences which were the clear proof of their talents; furthermore, you can't just be plain bad in a live concert and expect the audio editing process to do everything - it really doesn't help much if you're not good at singing. To sum up: for Libera, editing - yes (just like any other artists), lip-syncing - definitely no!! 8)
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Libera Snow wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:34 am">6 years ago</span> It's interesting-Sweet Spot right(many be light?)
Not sure about sweet spot light as I have never been the concert,but I will try to take their picture better in Tulsa!
I think he meant "you would have some time to take pictures when the concert is about to end, at the moment when Libera is showing their gratitude and is about to walk down the stage" :)
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Viktar

Post by Viktar »

Libera Snow wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:34 am">6 years ago</span> It's interesting-Sweet Spot right(many be light?)
Nope, I didn't mean the spotlight, I just meant that you can take a few photos right after the concert before the boys go away from the stage. You'll have to work with available light though.
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:47 pm">6 years ago</span> What a fantastic review, gingerthedog1, and great photos Viktar. I am with Yorkie, these reviews are greatly appreciated for those who did not attend these particular concerts. And are even more amazing for those of us who shall be attending a later one on this tour. August 9 cannot come fast enough. :D
I second Surpinto with regards to the great review by gingerthedog1 and awesome photos by Viktar!

I am one of many who are looking forward to the next concerts, reviews and photos! St louis is not far away!! :-)
"with a down derry, derry down down"
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:50 pm">6 years ago</span> It would be nice to get a more accurate translation of this Russian review of both concerts at https://puerchorum.blogspot.ru/2017/08/blog-post.html. Some people may find the review to be overly critical, but I'm interested in it because the reviewer goes into a lot of details that I don't get in other reviews.
I just used Google Translate and was able to understand it really well.It was fun to just cut and past the sections into google and then hit the sound button to listen to it in English. You do have to use your imagination in a few places, but over all it gave a good critique of both California Concerts.

He does point out several issues concerning the boys and their performances (mainly soloists). I understand that he has been following Libera for a number of years and attends a great many of their concerts so he is able to compare the new performances to many in the past. I also get the impression that he is very knowledgeable about music and focuses on things that most regular concert goers would not pick up on (he may even be a current or former choir director, etc).

I don't believe he in any way means to criticize the boys, he merely is giving his honest view of their performances. I had to do the same thing when I was a judge at choral contests. It was my job to point out where there were problems so the group or soloist could work to improve before the next performance or contest. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone from Libera doesn't follow his notes to get some tips on where they need to improve!
Viktar

Post by Viktar »

frankstuart wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 am">6 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:50 pm">6 years ago</span> It would be nice to get a more accurate translation of this Russian review of both concerts at https://puerchorum.blogspot.ru/2017/08/blog-post.html. Some people may find the review to be overly critical, but I'm interested in it because the reviewer goes into a lot of details that I don't get in other reviews.
I just used Google Translate and was able to understand it really well.It was fun to just cut and past the sections into google and then hit the sound button to listen to it in English. You do have to use your imagination in a few places, but over all it gave a good critique of both California Concerts.

He does point out several issues concerning the boys and their performances (mainly soloists). I understand that he has been following Libera for a number of years and attends a great many of their concerts so he is able to compare the new performances to many in the past. I also get the impression that he is very knowledgeable about music and focuses on things that most regular concert goers would not pick up on (he may even be a current or former choir director, etc).

I don't believe he in any way means to criticize the boys, he merely is giving his honest view of their performances. I had to do the same thing when I was a judge at choral contests. It was my job to point out where there were problems so the group or soloist could work to improve before the next performance or contest. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone from Libera doesn't follow his notes to get some tips on where they need to improve!
Thanks for these flattering characterizations, but I'm merely an amateur puffed up with conceit. In no way I'm writing my reviews (which I've been writing for years on different platforms) to get attention from Libera or to give them advice: they are much more professional and accomplished, than I will ever be, and there is no doubt they are completely aware of everything I notice anyway.

Thing is, I write for Russian-speaking audience, who doesn't have a chance to attend Libera concerts regularly, and I feel it's my obligation to report everything as is, without sugar coating, merely to keep the reviews plausible. I don't remember a Libera concert which I didn't enjoy, and I always emphasize it in all my reviews.
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding,Viktar. Libera Snow

Nope, I didn't mean the spotlight, I just meant that you can take a few photos right after the concert before the boys go away from the stage. You'll have to work with available light though.
[/quote]
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Thank you very much for your explanation to my big misunderstanding.
I need to learn English more......
Anyway,I look forward to taking their pictures,too!

Libera Snow

I think he meant "you would have some time to take pictures when the concert is about to end, at the moment when Libera is showing their gratitude and is about to walk down the stage" :)
[/quote]
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

Viktar, I read the badly (google) translated version of your review. I was very happy to find that we agreed on how great Alex's solos were. These were indeed my highlights as well. Interestingly, I agree with all the other parts of your review too, which I did not find to be overly critical. Despite some negative opinions, the most important thing is that we all enjoyed the concert!
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 pm">6 years ago</span> I agree, excellent pictures Viktar considering the tricky light levels to contend with. Thanks for the reviews again, there will always be a few glitches and a few forgotten lyrics during live concerts it happens to the best of experienced performers let alone young children. From my experience they are very few and far between and only serves to provide an organic, realism to the concert when they do occur. Some comments on YouTube claim they must be lip syncing they cannot sound that good. Well if was 2hrs of pitch-note perfect, flawless, error-free CD like output, you could begin to wonder, but it's not like that because of the very fact it is their 'live' young voices singing out from the mics. You wouldn't have even coaxed me up on stage at that age.
I absolutely agree that imperfections and mistakes actually make the concert experience even more enjoyable. I wanted to clarify that the lyric mistake was not audibly recognizable. Had I not known the lyrics beforehand, I probably would not have ever caught the mistake. It did not detract from the sound quality of the performance, lending even more credibility to the professionalism of the choir. But, I thought it was a detail that other people would be interested in hear.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Honestly, most of you have a higher tolerance for microphone glitches at a concert than I do. I still remember the microphone problem on "Stay With Me" (or possibly "Ave Verum", but I don't think so) when I attended the concert in St. Paul, MN in 2011. It ruined some of the high notes on the descants, and I was really annoyed about it. Otherwise, the microphones were fine for the rest of the concert as far as I could tell. Some of the things mentioned about the sound recently would have really bothered me, but I'm sure most people would get over it better than me.
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

Viktar wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 am">6 years ago</span>
frankstuart wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 am">6 years ago</span>
Thanks for these flattering characterizations, but I'm merely an amateur puffed up with conceit. In no way I'm writing my reviews (which I've been writing for years on different platforms) to get attention from Libera or to give them advice: they are much more professional and accomplished, than I will ever be, and there is no doubt they are completely aware of everything I notice anyway.

Thing is, I write for Russian-speaking audience, who doesn't have a chance to attend Libera concerts regularly, and I feel it's my obligation to report everything as is, without sugar coating, merely to keep the reviews plausible. I don't remember a Libera concert which I didn't enjoy, and I always emphasize it in all my reviews.
For an "amateur" you are very educated in the nuances of vocal performances! I never would have guessed that you were not involved in singer training or choral directing. No matter how professional and accomplished the group is there is always room for improvement and it would be no mistake for them to listen to some of your observations.

I remember the first live concert I attended (San Antonio, Tx) a few years ago. I was so enthralled with the experience from the first note to the finale that I really don't remember very much about the technical aspects of the performance. The only glitch I do remember was a slight mistake by Taichi when he turned the wrong way during a between songs movement. I remember it because it was so cute and funny because of his huge smile and the comic look on his face when he quickly realized the problem and adjusted his position. The audience loved it!.

Anyway, I appreciate your work and reviews, professional or not. Keep up the great work and I am certainly going to be following your blog.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Thanks for the reviews everyone – and please note that what follows is not directed at anyone in particular.
I believe in free speech and all that, but is it really necessary to draw attention to every little slip-up in an otherwise almost perfect performance? We know there are going to be a few mistakes, the boys and Libera are aware of them – and don’t need amateur critics to point them out. What is written in this forum does get back to the boys, and let’s remember that they are just young boys who can be over sensitive to negative comments.
Flame away and call me a sugar-coating sycophantic old fogey if you like – and, yes, your musical knowledge may be greater, and your ear more sensitive than mine, but let’s not sweat the small stuff.