Palm Sunday 2017 @ Sacred Heart Curch, Bournemouth, UK

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Palm Sunday @ Sacred Heart Curch, Bournemouth, UK

Post by Yorkie »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:57 pm">2 years ago</span>
I'm guessing the pictures that Libera just posted are from their visit to Bournemouth. As far as I can tell, all the photos seem related to that and not to any other activities like preparing to record an album.

https://twitter.com/officiallibera/stat ... TG4ogqAAAA
Yes, definitely from today - no hint of an album yet.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:22 pm">2 years ago</span>

Thank you for sharing! They did an excellent job. Not surprised they did the "Sanctus" :D
I thought the Sanctus was excellent. I was surprised that the priest described them as a professional choir. I know in many aspects they could be judged to be so but at heart Libera is a family of like minded individuals who love the tradition of choral singing. They have professional standards, but they are (thankfully) a million miles from sometimes cold world of professional for financial profit singer's.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I wonder who sang the solo on the "Gloria" (from the Messe Brève by Delibes). I tried to listen carefully several times, but could not identify the voice.

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:13 pm">2 years ago</span> I thought the Sanctus was excellent. I was surprised that the priest described them as a professional choir. I know in many aspects they could be judged to be so but at heart Libera is a family of like minded individuals who love the tradition of choral singing. They have professional standards, but they are (thankfully) a million miles from sometimes cold world of professional for financial profit singer's.
They are exceptionally professional and well-trained. But there has always been heart in the way they are trained. Remember, how in an interview one of the parents said he put his son into Libera specifically because of the kindness and care of choirmasters like Robert as compared to other choirs?

I guess for some musicians the drive towards perfection sacrifices the love of singing and the heart of things in that regard.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:22 pm">2 years ago</span> Libera were back in Bournemouth this morning to take part in the Easter Sunday 10.30am service which should be available on the church's website to view later:

#Edit# it's there now:

https://www.bournemouthoratory.org.uk/live-feed/

Go to the recordings tab and you can play it.
Anyone knows the names of the songs sang? I can't quite recognise some of the boys though Johnny's hair is definitely distinguishable!
bamboo
Silver Member

Re: Palm Sunday 2017 @ Sacred Heart Curch, Bournemouth, UK

Post by bamboo »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:15 am">7 years ago</span> I didn't watch the whole thing, but looked through the video looking for the offertory and communion hymns. Here are some approximate times for what I believe they sang, though the boys weren't visible and the ambient noise in the church made it hard to hear:
42:00: Were You There, with solos around 43:00 and 44:50
1:08:00: Stabat Mater by Pergolesei (so not the one on the album)
1:12:00: A short song which I didn't recognize
1:13:00: Some version of Ave Verum
Anyone can help me identify the boys shown from 26:48 to 27:35 in this video - https://www.churchservices.tv/bournemou ... AnDjqyZZOw