New album is called Hope

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: New album is called Hope

Post by maartendas »

Truth be told, I listen to 'Hope' almost exclusively these days. It was a refreshing experience when I listened to 'New Dawn' again this week. Or when I heard 'I Am the Day' in Ely :D I absolutely love all the old stuff but somehow 'Hope' is still my favourite.

My preferences have not really changed but I do like 'Stabat Mater' and 'Venite' even more now. I also love 'Home' more and more. It seemed to me to be a middle-of-the-road Libera song (aka still high standard), but slowly it's starting to reveal more beauty and meaning to me. I now really love how it closes the album on a hopeful (!) and peaceful note, very graciously.

I also just ordered the LP 8) Time to dust off the old record player and finally buy a new needle for it.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm">6 years ago</span> Around these days, it has been about one year since "Hope" was released. Time to reflect! :D :wink: I'm very curious about the development in your likings, so:

Have your initial song preferences remained stable up to now and are they still as strong as they were then? Or has something changed with the time going on?

And are the "Hope" songs the ones you (still) listen to most after this year or is it rather an equal mix with older songs now?
Honestly, I haven't changed my preferences at all as far as my favorites. The album is an excellent one even if the songs which first debuted on this album are less fresh now than when we heard them for the first time. When "Hope" first came out I listened to it over and over again, but now I listen to it alongside my other Libera favorites in equal measure. It has become a treasured part of my music library.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm">6 years ago</span> Around these days, it has been about one year since "Hope" was released. Time to reflect! :D :wink: I'm very curious about the development in your likings, so:

Have your initial song preferences remained stable up to now and are they still as strong as they were then? Or has something changed with the time going on?

And are the "Hope" songs the ones you (still) listen to most after this year or is it rather an equal mix with older songs now?
An interesting aspect to discuss here. I would say that my song preferences for Hope are still the same as when I wrote my review (also my first Libera review), with the exception of Three Ravens - it has grown on me a lot, and I'm glad it has.

I discovered them in June 2017, so to me Hope was as new as everything else at that time. :lol: However, there was a period when I just listened to the whole album separately (about some weeks), then I mixed the songs with other "new" things as I dig further to their past. :)

andmar wrote: <span title="Thu May 24, 2018 7:57 pm">6 years ago</span> As "Hope" has a big emotional impact on me I want to savoy it to the fullest and not to get overwhelmed by it.
How I can relate to your feeling! Listening to the same thing over and over can have negative effects, sometimes it even cause you to lose the very special feeling you got the first couple of times listening to it. :?
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

The LP arrived today :D
The packaging is gorgeous. And there is something very special about holding a physical recording of their voices - something a CD can never replace. The white vinyl and the grooves in it... So fresh and new; there is even a thin thread of vinyl hanging loose from the edge (similar to an edge of paper still clinging to the page of a newly printed book).
I can't listen to it yet, that will take some organising. But I'm already as happy as a kid on his birthday :)
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

One of my favorite songs of the Hope album is: Benedictus Deus.

I can listen to it over and over again (with headphone - volume high) and its makes very happy :D

So i was wondering if any of the Libera fans in this forum has the same thing and perhaps has an explanation, why this song is so exceptional beautiful.

Greetings, Harry
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

seraphita wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 pm">5 years ago</span> One of my favorite songs of the Hope album is: Benedictus Deus.

I can listen to it over and over again (with headphone - volume high) and its makes very happy :D

So i was wondering if any of the Libera fans in this forum has the same thing and perhaps has an explanation, why this song is so exceptional beautiful.

Greetings, Harry
Welcome to Libera Dreams, Harry! :D That song is fantastic; and is sung and composed beautifully. It is songs exactly like that one which draw people to Libera. An explanation for why it is beautiful? Perhaps one of the other fans can better put this into words better than I can, but in my opinion the music that draws each one of us on some fundamental level is beyond words. Music can touch our hearts and souls. How much more so then the music of Libera that has wonderfully dense harmonies and, while paying homage to the style of classical music, fearlessly embraces novel arrangements, compositions, and recording techniques?

What stands out about that song in particular is the excellent solo parts counterpointed with the rest of the choir with a constant rhythm and beautiful melody. At least that would be my summary analysis. But analysis is not important if the music moves you and makes you happy. I can totally picture you listening to Libera on high volume with headphones and having the music permeate throughout your very being; physical and mental. It is easy to picture because I do the same exact thing on a regular basis. I even bought myself a pair of high quality headphones to better appreciate Libera's music; among others.

So once again, welcome to Libera Dreams. Please feel free to introduce yourself more extensively at the new members sub-forum. Given that you have taken the time to create an avatar for yourself before even posting here for the first time I have a feeling that you are intent on staying - please do so!! :D I would love to hear how you discovered Libera. Was it through "Benedictus Deus"? Or is that just your favorite song? Would love to know more.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

seraphita wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 pm">5 years ago</span> So i was wondering if any of the Libera fans in this forum has the same thing and perhaps has an explanation, why this song is so exceptional beautiful.
Hi Harry, I suggest you go through this long topic (around page 20-30) where members (including me) wrote their thoughts about the album in general and Benedictus Deus in particular. All depends on your patience. :roll:
(Benedictus Deus is also one of my all-time Libera favorites! Never get tired of it, and would also put it in high volume and just bath in its beautiful and heavenly music with every worry tossed aside 8) )

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:28 am">5 years ago</span> So once again, welcome to Libera Dreams. Please feel free to introduce yourself more extensively at the new members sub-forum. Given that you have taken the time to create an avatar for yourself before even posting here for the first time I have a feeling that you are intent on staying - please do so!! :D I would love to hear how you discovered Libera. Was it through "Benedictus Deus"? Or is that just your favorite song? Would love to know more.
Yup, I totally agree with this. :D
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Thank you Surpinto, for your kind response. You must be right that the music touches our hearts & souls. This song absolutely does that. I experianced it before that the music of Libera touched me deeply, for example: I am the day (Angel Voices), Ave verum (Free), Sempiterna (Visions), Sancte (Eternal) and ofcourse Ave maria ...

But the different thing with Benedictus Deus is that it 'keeps going'. Any how, its a very good experience, over and over again :D

The avatar -->> was taken by me, some years ago (Libera returned to the church again), concert in Guildford.
I have been a Libera fan since the late '90 (and it made me survive my life so far, the same thing I heard from an other fan during a break at the St George's Cathedral some years ago) :D :D

Regards,
Harry
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:28 am">5 years ago</span>
seraphita wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 pm">5 years ago</span> One of my favorite songs of the Hope album is: Benedictus Deus.

Greetings, Harry
Welcome to Libera Dreams, Harry! :D That song is fantastic; and is sung and composed beautifully. It is songs exactly like that one which draw people to Libera. An explanation for why it is beautiful? Perhaps one of the other fans can better put this into words better than I can, but in my opinion the music that draws each one of us on some fundamental level is beyond words. Music can touch our hearts and souls. How much more so then the music of Libera that has wonderfully dense harmonies and, while paying homage to the style of classical music, fearlessly embraces novel arrangements, compositions, and recording techniques?

What stands out about that song in particular is the excellent solo parts counterpointed with the rest of the choir with a constant rhythm and beautiful melody. At least that would be my summary analysis. But analysis is not important if the music moves you and makes you happy. I can totally picture you listening to Libera on high volume with headphones and having the music permeate throughout your very being; physical and mental. It is easy to picture because I do the same exact thing on a regular basis. I even bought myself a pair of high quality headphones to better appreciate Libera's music; among others.

So once again, welcome to Libera Dreams. Please feel free to introduce yourself more extensively at the new members sub-forum. Given that you have taken the time to create an avatar for yourself before even posting here for the first time I have a feeling that you are intent on staying - please do so!! :D I would love to hear how you discovered Libera. Was it through "Benedictus Deus"? Or is that just your favorite song? Would love to know more.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Thank you kinda_k00l for your kind response. I did read the other responses on this subject, but perhaps I was looking for an answer wich isn't there.

Other favorite song -see above- and ofcourse 'Time' and 'Lullabye' .. .but I should name all the songs ofcourse ... becouse you only hear the heavenly Angels singing it ... :D

Greetings,
Harry

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:55 am">5 years ago</span>
seraphita wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 pm">5 years ago</span> So i was wondering if any of the Libera fans in this forum has the same thing and perhaps has an explanation, why this song is so exceptional beautiful.
Hi Harry, I suggest you go through this long topic (around page 20-30) where members (including me) wrote their thoughts about the album in general and Benedictus Deus in particular. All depends on your patience. :roll:
(Benedictus Deus is also one of my all-time Libera favorites! Never get tired of it, and would also put it in high volume and just bath in its beautiful and heavenly music with every worry tossed aside 8) )

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:28 am">5 years ago</span> So once again, welcome to Libera Dreams. Please feel free to introduce yourself more extensively at the new members sub-forum. Given that you have taken the time to create an avatar for yourself before even posting here for the first time I have a feeling that you are intent on staying - please do so!! :D I would love to hear how you discovered Libera. Was it through "Benedictus Deus"? Or is that just your favorite song? Would love to know more.
Yup, I totally agree with this. :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Having just listened to the vinyl version for the first time, I totally agree with the comment of feinstei on another forum that it is as if the boys are singing in front of you. Even on my average system the sound is so rich and 'spacious' and I truly feel like there is a 'presence' there, much more so than on CD. The choral sound is blended beautifully with the instruments. Individual voices and instruments are recognisable but no sound gets in the way of another. When a chorus begins, I picture a widening of the scene - it's as if the overall sound captures the mood and choreography of a concert setting.

The solos are very distinctive. When I am close to the speakers and close my eyes I can really picture each boy - for instance I really felt like Isaac was there singing for me :) The same goes for Merlin. Also, I heard distinct vocals at the outro of Venite Adoremus which I had not heard before - very interesting.

For me, after a first listen, Three Ravens, From a Distance and Venite Adoremus stood out as riveting listening experiences. I'm Dreaming of Home also sounded magnificent, completely fresh.

One slight downside: there are tiny bits with very little sound, like the last few seconds of a final chord and some quiet bits in Angel just before a verse, where somehow my record just goes silent, only for those very small instances, but still. I don't know if it's in the record itself or if it has something to do with my player.

Other than that, I don't believe I have ever heard Libera sound this good, outside of a live concert situation. This is pure gold for my ears and my soul :D
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 pm">5 years ago</span> I don't believe I have ever heard Libera sound this good, outside of a live concert situation. This is pure gold for my ears and my soul
Hmm... You make me curious and question myself:
1) Should I buy the vinyl version of Hope?
2) Should I buy a vinyl player to play the vinyl version of Hope?

Decisions decisions... :P
MichaelPorter

Post by MichaelPorter »

maarendas wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 pm">5 years ago</span> Having just listened to the vinyl version for the first time, I totally agree with the comment of feinstei on another forum that it is as if the boys are singing in front of you. Even on my average system the sound is so rich and 'spacious' and I truly feel phen375 works https://theskinnyvibes.com/phen375-reviews like there is a 'presence' there, much more so than on CD. The choral sound is blended beautifully with the instruments. Individual voices and instruments are recognisable but no sound gets in the way of another. When a chorus begins, I picture a widening of the scene - it's as if the overall sound captures the mood and choreography of a concert setting.

The solos are very distinctive. When I am close to the speakers and close my eyes I can really picture each boy - for instance I really felt like Isaac was there singing for me :) The same goes for Merlin. Also, I heard distinct vocals at the outro of Venite Adoremus which I had not heard before - very interesting.

Other than that, I don't believe I have ever heard Libera sound this good, outside of a live concert situation. This is pure gold for my ears and my soul :D
Much appreciated both for the refresh. In this way, we simply require the track list straightaway and, ideally, some see clasps of the tracks!
FelipeAckley

Post by FelipeAckley »

So i was wondering if any of the Libera fans in this forum has the same thing and perhaps has an explanation, why the dbal max reviews https://alvenda.com/dbal-max-review/ this song is so exceptional beautiful.

Greetings, Harry
My favorite is Benedictus Deus too. And I love it because it touches my heart and soul. Although the entire album is great, I can't stop listening to Benedictus Deus again and again.
Last edited by FelipeAckley on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

FelipeAckley wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:34 pm">5 years ago</span>

Greetings, Harry
My favorite is Benedictus Deus too. And I love it because it touches my heart and soul. Although the entire album is great, I can't stop listening to Benedictus Deus again and again.
Welcome to Libera Dreams! "Benedictus Deus" is a wonderful song which is performed very well. Have you listened to the remake they just did on their latest album Beyond? Would enjoy reading your thoughts on how they compare to your ears.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

FelipeAckley wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:34 pm">5 years ago</span>

Greetings, Harry
Indeed it touches the hart and soul. BTW, just like Paradisum :D
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi