Oliver!

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Elendil

Post by Elendil »

I've probably seen all the performances from I'd Do Anything from Youtube. That was amazing! i love the numbers that the Olivers do as a group--Electricity, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (my favorite), A Whole New World, Reach, etc... The songs they chose were amazing and the choreography was really good and funny to watch.

If I were to go to London this year (highly unlikely), i'd of course visit Libera, but also go see the Oliver stage show, hopefully with Laurence as Oliver. His voice, i believe, is the best out of the three. And Jodie is Nancy--shes really great. Rowan Atkinson as fagin...I heard he stole the show, along with the artful dodger. What an amazing technicolor dreamcast :)
Attende Domini et miserere
Quia peccavimus tibi
Attendite et miserere Domine
William

Post by William »

Hopefully it will come to NY at some point. Being a revival show I'm not sure it will though. Then I could go see Billy Elliot( again), Wicked and Oliver all in one trip. Of course I'm probably dreaming...
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Oh I really hope it comes to New York! Preferably with the same Olivers! I can get into NYC in 6 hours I think.... If it was a matinee, I could do it as a day trip maybe... I hope it comes over the pond!!
William

Post by William »

Yeah, it's about 6 hours from me too. (Rochester, NY area). But I don't know if I'd drive it myself. I'm not too keen on city driving. I'd probably fly in and stay a day or two to catch at least a couple shows.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Well, going alone isn't even an option for me.... I can't drive yet :D But this isn't going to be anytime soon anyway... So maybe by then I will be able to drive!!
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Hold on...u guys are planning ur trip to New York already but is Oliver coming to New York at all? if so, i'd love to fly there and see it.
Quia peccavimus tibi
William

Post by William »

I never said I was planning to go. I said I'd be surprised if it did come. I mentioned IF it came I'd like to. However, I might go anyway to see a couple other shows.
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

I see. In that case so would I.
Quia peccavimus tibi
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Well, I just went to the mailbox and lo and behold, my Oliver! ticket has arrived for when I head over to the UK in March. :D I've heard the set design is worth the price of admission. Looking forward to it!

Rich
libera36

Post by libera36 »

I'm just day dreaming... I probably wouldn't be able to go even if it did come to NYC! Rich, you will have to tell us all about the performance... That is, in March, when you see it :D
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

libera36 wrote:I'm just day dreaming... I probably wouldn't be able to go even if it did come to NYC! Rich, you will have to tell us all about the performance... That is, in March, when you see it :D
Will do!
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Wow, Rich, congrats! By any chance, do u have an Oliver that u prefer seeing the most?
Quia peccavimus tibi
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Elendil wrote:Wow, Rich, congrats! By any chance, do u have an Oliver that u prefer seeing the most?
Nope. Any Oliver will do. :lol: For years I have always wanted to see the stage production of Oliver! so now is my chance!! :lol:

Rich
William

Post by William »

That's great. Yes, please keep us posted. I hear Rowan Atkinson is great as Fagin. I hope it makes it's way to the good ol' USA eventually.

Aside from the musical, I'm interested to hear what people here think of the different film versions of Oliver Twist. There have been quite a number, I know. In fact I think I have them all on tape or DVD (9 or 10 in total), those that are available anyway (I'm not counting the animated ones. I have no interest in them).
Some film versions are very good and a couple not so good. My favorite is of course "Oliver!" followed closely by the 1948 version starring John Howard Davies as Oliver. (Interesting aside, John Howard Davies has worked a lot on British comedy series like Monty Python, Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers and I believe Mr. Bean. So Rowan Atkinson is probably well familiar with him!) I also really liked the recent version by Roman Polanski although it could have used a little spicing up and moved a bit faster. But I really liked Barney Clark as Oliver and Harry Eden as the Dodger. The 1922 silent with Jackie Coogan and Lon Chaney is also quite good.
The 1982 TV version with George C. Scott as Fagin was okay. I thought Tim Curry made an interesting Bill Sikes! He definitely played the role differently in some aspects from what other actors have done. Richard Charles was cute as Oliver.
The two versions I'm not too fond of are the 1933 Dickie Moore version (bad acting and poor casting) and the 1995 Disney version. Richard Dreyfus was a so-so Fagin but Elijah Wood was wasted as the Artful Dodger.
The Masterpiece Theater miniseries is also quite good but a lot of liberties were taken with the Oliver's background story. In fact the first segment was all about what happened before Oliver was even born. He never even showed up until the second segment.
BBC has two versions I believe. One I think has been on BBC and will be available on DVD in late February.
So there's a run down from me. Although "Oliver!" is most likely my favorite, John Howard Davies is my favorite actor to play Oliver.
Well, there's my rundown. I'd love to hear other folks' opinions!

Bill
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

I've seen Oliver! and love it.

The only other Oliver I saw was the 2005 one with Barney Clark. I find that aftering watching the delightful musical, it was much harder to get into a more serious, darker, and realistic movie. i think the actors were brilliant and i probably would have loved it if i had not seen Oliver! first. the ending with Fagin was really depressing. the whole mood of the movie was the exact opposite of the musical; it was meant to be, of course, but i find it hard to love this movie. I sort of like it...may watch it again sometime to refine my judgment.
Quia peccavimus tibi