three random facts about yourself

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

kthomp wrote:ok even i dont know the words of rule britania kelsie lol .... well maybe i shall find the lyrics
Jude Andrew wrote::lol: :lol:
You are without doubt the biggest Anglophile living today :wink: !!
L :lol: L you two!

Aww for SHAME, Kara, for shame!

Here, let me help you...

* Extract from one of the many 'Last Nights' at the BBC Proms festival:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rule, Britannia is at 3m19s...this is actually a bit different from the usual arrangement for soloist/choir, and changes the music slightly in the chorus (now see, as a Brit you should know these things!! :lol: )

* Extract from Proms last year (2008)
Bryn Terfel is actually relatively well-known in the United States and rather popular among us, too...

* Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule,_Britannia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Of course, a Wiki article...

* And a huge, hi-res copy of the sheet music :shock:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nnia_1.png

:D :D :D
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

kjackson83 wrote:
kthomp wrote:ok even i dont know the words of rule britania kelsie lol .... well maybe i shall find the lyrics

Here, let me help you...

Rule, Britannia is at 3m19s...this is actually a bit different from the usual arrangement for soloist/choir, and changes the music slightly in the chorus (now see, as a Brit you should know these things!! :lol: )

Bryn Terfel is actually relatively well-known in the United States and rather popular among us, too...

* Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule,_Britannia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nnia_1.png

QED :lol:
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Jude Andrew wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:

Here, let me help you...

* Wikipedia article

QED :lol:
You know I just had to look that ('QED') up, LOL....
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

LOL i now know the lyrics, dosent mean i will sing them when i drive my moped though so im not as bad as you kelsie lol ... dont worry i had to look up what QED meant as well :D
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

QED- used sometimes at the end of a mathematical proof to signify completion of the logical argument. It is short for quod erat demonstrandum, which translates to "that which was to be demonstrated."

I've used it occasionally at the end of proofs, but there are so many ways of saying "I'm done with this proof" that QED doesn't always get used. More often than not, people use a solid black square. Yay for knowing relatively useless knowledge that applies almost exclusively to your narrow field of study and will barely ever be used except in academic settings! :)
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Of course, it would be today, after this thread (!!), that I would finally receive my wall-sized Union Flag in the mail...seriously, though, I didn't know it could be accidentally flown upside down...
Mathmaniac wrote:QED- used sometimes at the end of a mathematical proof to signify completion of the logical argument. It is short for quod erat demonstrandum, which translates to "that which was to be demonstrated."

I've used it occasionally at the end of proofs, but there are so many ways of saying "I'm done with this proof" that QED doesn't always get used. More often than not, people use a solid black square. Yay for knowing relatively useless knowledge that applies almost exclusively to your narrow field of study and will barely ever be used except in academic settings! :)
Oh my gosh--I feel utterly incompetent in the presence of math and science majors, even the more precocious undergrads!

So...perhaps I can plead QED when the British government wants to know where my citizenship app is??
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

kthomp wrote:LOL i now know the lyrics, dosent mean i will sing them when i drive my moped though so im not as bad as you kelsie lol ... dont worry i had to look up what QED meant as well :D
What the heck is a moped? Is it one of those things the parking police use in America: a stand with handlebars on two wheels??
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

kjackson83 wrote:What the heck is a moped? Is it one of those things the parking police use in America: a stand with handlebars on two wheels??
:lol: , funny the things that don't make it across the pond !! A moped is a low powered single geared motorcycle akin to a scooter. They are usually 50cc or under and I don't think they require a special license. I think in the UK you can drove one on the road once you have a learners permit and are 16 or over.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

They definitely have mopeds over here, but they are more popular in large cities. If you watch the TMNT 2 movie, Kino drives one as the pizza delivery boy. (How the heck do I remember that?) My uncle also owned one when he lived in Jamaca for a year or two, so they also may be more popular on islands where cars are overkill.
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Jude Andrew wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:What the heck is a moped? Is it one of those things the parking police use in America: a stand with handlebars on two wheels??
:lol: , funny the things that don't make it across the pond !! A moped is a low powered single geared motorcycle akin to a scooter. They are usually 50cc or under and I don't think they require a special license. I think in the UK you can drove one on the road once you have a learners permit and are 16 or over.
Pshaw lol: I live in Texas, where the rule of the road is apparently, 'The bigger the better.' The closest thing we have to mopeds is the Smart Car.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

lol i drive one cause i cant afford driving lessons and i need a way to get to my work... i would rather be in a car when its cold and rainy though.... maybe i should start saving

three random facts

i have just decided to save money

i have just decided to do driving lessons

and i finding the flashing orange signal msn gives you when you have a IM annoying !!!
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

Jude Andrew wrote:
If the regulations are similar to here in Vermont (which I admit is somewhat doubtful), you're forgetting one of the key things that makes a moped a moped--the presence of bicycle pedals, in addition to a small engine. That's why they were named mopeds, in fact, from MOtor and PEDals.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

kthomp wrote:lol i drive one cause i cant afford driving lessons and i need a way to get to my work... i would rather be in a car when its cold and rainy though.... maybe i should start saving

three random facts

i have just decided to save money

i have just decided to do driving lessons

and i finding the flashing orange signal msn gives you when you have a IM annoying !!!
I imagine the weather hasn't been so great for...mop-ed-ing (lol)!
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

nope your all correct kelsie the weather is rather suckish for a moped driver especially as i live near the sea its really windy here and that just make things worse lol :D
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

kthomp wrote:nope your all correct kelsie the weather is rather suckish for a moped driver especially as i live near the sea its really windy here and that just make things worse lol :D
So you're not getting much of the white stuff? I have friends from County Somerset and in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne who're literally housebound thanks to all that dang snow!