'Max and Me' (Mark McKenzie sched rel. 2016)

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: 'Max and Me' (Mark McKenzie sched rel. 2016)

Post by bachmahlerfan »

The Japanese Amazon site has the album available for download with audio samples, since it's already March 9th there. https://www.amazon.co.jp/Max-Original-M ... B01IENRFZC
I suppose there will be longer samples on Itunes and some other sites. I don't think Libera will have a "Benedictus Deus" moment, but they still appear to making a significant contribution to the soundtrack. The "Prayer for Peace" audio sample was the only one where I heard words, but it was with the London Voices. I suppose it's possible that Libera sings in some other parts of that track. I'm not sure where Isaac's solo is, although I thought I heard a solo descant in a couple spots. I guess I won't comment any further until I hear the entire soundtrack.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thank you Bachmahlerfan :)

Your link on Amazon Japan points to a CD version and a link there says it will be released for Christmas 2025 ( :lol: )
Here the link to the digital version : :)

I searched on some other Japanese sites, just in case, but without results.
I then tested Spotify and surprise: the entire album is available there! :shock:

All tracks are available, on their full length, using a free account :

I must confess that I don't understand the economic model here.
What's the point for Amazon to charge 1600 Yens ($15) while Spotify let the full album available to be heard for free? :roll:
After 10 or 12 tracks it served me an 30" advertisement message that I just turned silent with the mute, and that was all.

About Isaac, the most interesting track is #4 'You Could Be Anything'. Then #19 'Triumph over fear' and #22 'Heaven's Welcomed'.
They have some high harmonies at moments, but not words are sung. There is no track to compare with Benedictus Deus.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Thanks for the info.! I had linked to the Japanese Amazon page because it was the first one to offer audio samples, but now they're available on the European Amazon pages as well. I'm surprised to see that you can hear all of it on Spotify with a free account. I will probably pay for a download anyways, especially since part of the revenue will be donated to charitable causes (according to Mark Mckenzie).
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks, FDL. I recently signed up for Spotify and so your link allowed me to sample this music :D . While it is good there is nothing, as you say, to compare with "Benedictus Deus". Oh well, they do a good job on the atmospheric vocal parts and hopefully were able to earn some money to offset the costs of providing a free musical education to the choristers.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I don't want to give any detailed review, but I will say that I very much enjoyed the soundtrack, although I would still consider "The Greatest Miracle" to be Mark's best soundtrack. Frankly, I'm not saying that because Libera isn't featured in the way like they were in "Benedictus Deus" or "Ascension/Gloria Patri". My reason is that this soundtrack doesn't feel quite as cohesive as the "Greatest Miracle" soundtrack. I don't really blame Mark for this, because I think it's due to the film which switches back and forth between the present day and the life of St. Maximilian Kolbe (and the connection between the two 'plots' may be kind of loose). Therefore, you get a rather unusual combination of musical styles. Isaac's solo in track 4 is rather short, but at least you can tell it's him. Nevertheless, the score delivers quite an emotional punch as you would expect with Mark's better film scores.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

You are kind in your words Bachmahlerfan :)

On my side I will be more direct in my judgement, I would say that the disappointment is proportional to the awaiting: broad :?

The CD was announced more than 3 years ago.
3 years during which we had time to imagine and dream of something as grandiose as Benedictus Deus
... and after such a long wait, when we finally discover the result, well there is .. .. not this much.

Oddly this is the complete opposite of what happened with the Great Miracle, where thanks to Jimmy we had the immediate surprise of a marvellous track :D

What I keep from this full soundtrack album is the beautiful violin play from Joshua Bell, too shortly present, and it stops there.
The contribution of Isaac is pretty but it is for me anecdotal, there is only a handful of seconds and just harmonies, not a song.

Mark Mckenzie music here is pleasant, but no track had a tune that marked me or that I can remember even a little.

In short, the CD is accessible to me easily and freely on Spotify, I have no effort to do and nothing to spend to listen to it, but one listening is enough for me.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, I certainly respect your opinion, although I don't quite agree with it. There are numerous passages that have stuck in my head, not so much because of a particular theme or melody, but because of the emotions they conveyed. I'm not saying it was as memorable as "The Greatest Miracle" soundtrack, but very good nonetheless. As for the Joshua Bell solos, only his solo on the "I Love You" track really impressed me. The other two were fine but I wouldn't consider them highlights.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

It's typically film music and knowing the music of "The Greatest Miracle" I'd say that it's unmistakably Mark McKenzie's handwriting. I find a number of tracks quite pleasant to listen to, but it's much pathos again.
For someone who looked forward or was certain to get more Libera, I can relate to disappointment. Concerning Joshua Bell, I like both "I Am" and "I Love You". "A Mother's Prayer" reminds me too much of "Ascension / Gloria Patri".
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Yes, this is a very much film music. I guess it will work for the film very well; not necessarily for listening to it alone - for me at least. I wish there was more Libera of course and I was hoping to hear more from Isaac, but well, this is what the composer created.