Choir of St Johns Chapel Choir singing "Gloria"

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

helenemomomo

Choir of St Johns Chapel Choir singing "Gloria"

Post by helenemomomo »

This is my first time to post here..although I've been looking around in this forum for a while.

I was searching a American choir but ended up a UK school choir. Don't know if everyone knows it.

here's the link: http://www.stjohnscollege.co.uk/music-facilities
on the chapel choir page, I found a sample of their CD.They use organ in this nice version of Gloria. :P :P

In addition, here's PCSM's new CD.

"you were there" "O Sanctissima"
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Choir of St Johns Chapel Choir singing "Gloria"

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum.

When I read your post I immediately thought of my favourite St John's choir in Cambridge - then I realised it is entirely different and not a choir I had heard of before!

I listened to the samples for PCSM and they are very different to Libera. It was interesting to listen to their version of Libera songs and I particularly liked hearing Panis Angelicus sung with French accents :D

Thanks for your post.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Liberanna

Post by Liberanna »

Hi!
I think, this PCSM is very strange. Libera's harmonies and high parts is simply amazing! But in Libera is Robert Prizeman, why it is so awesome! Robert=Libera's briliance! :)
In PCSM children are not talented enough. But that's my opinion.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Liberanna wrote:Hi!
I think, this PCSM is very strange. Libera's harmonies and high parts is simply amazing! But in Libera is Robert Prizeman, why it is so awesome! Robert=Libera's briliance! :)
In PCSM children are not talented enough. But that's my opinion.
I think it's less a matter of talent and more a matter of PCSM cultivating a very different sound. But that's my opinion. :)
Edited to add: Welcome to the forum, Liberanna!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Also they're French, so their pronunciation is going to be different and that gives a different sound to the songs.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

They are also recorded very differently than Libera. Libera are recorded with a lot of close mic's on the individual choristers and then the final product is mixed in the studio. This choir was clearly recorded more in a classic way of just setting up microphones to capture them as a group with maybe just the soloist(s) having an individual microphone - you can hear this in that they sound further away on the sound stage. It sounds like it may not have even been made in a sound studio but in an actual concert hall that was wired up for recording because they either recorded this in a hall with a lot of echo or added it in the mix afterwards - and not terribly well :( .

You can hear the piano in the front, the soloist in the front, and then the other voices are way too far back; almost like you're in a concert hall with only medium quality acoustics with the soloist stepping up to a front microphone near the piano as would happen in a live concert.

I think that this definitely impacts how they sound and if they were recorded better it would make a big difference because clearly the choir is not without talent or ability.

This is one of the things about Libera that has always impressed me. They use modern recording and mixing techniques and even the way they set up the sound in a live concert is superior to what most choirs do. This produces a richer sound. Not to mention an exceptional studio recording.