I need help understanding these songs

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Candid
Silver Member

I need help understanding these songs

Post by Candid »

I can pretty much get the meaning or the story behind libera's songs but theres some songs that are kinda hard to understand.

Do not stand at my grave and weep- at first I thought it was about Christ's resurrection or the time when mary came to his grave, but she didn't know he wasn't there. Then I saw the music video which had nothing depicting that. My mom read the lyrics and said other wise.

Alway with you - I don't understand it at all, because its kinda stalkerish, but I think maybe its about Jesus never forsaking you, some of the lyrics just don't fit the description. I don't know what do you think.

Secret - Why would you want the good news of the lord to be secret, what exactly is that secret song. I like the melody of the song but I can't figure it out.

can someone please explain these three songs to me/others or give your interpretation of the songs or other songs you may understand or not.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Re: I need help understanding these songs

Post by Jude Andrew »

Candid wrote:I can pretty much get the meaning or the story behind libera's songs but theres some songs that are kinda hard to understand.

Do not stand at my grave and weep- at first I thought it was about Christ's resurrection or the time when mary came to his grave, but she didn't know he wasn't there. Then I saw the music video which had nothing depicting that.
Hi Candid - I maybe completeley off the mark here but...... I always thought 'Do not stand at my grave' was a statement about not mourning someones passing but celebrating their life. Do not stand at my grave and weep; don't be sad for me; be happy that I am going to a happier place.

My two cents worth.....

Jude
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

If I recall the story behind Do Not Stand And Weep the song is taken from a peome written around the time of WW2. A European woman living in the US I believe had learned of the death of a friend or relative in Europe. She was devastated that she was unable to go to her friend's funeral or at leasty say good buy at the graveside. One of the woman's American friends wrote the poem for her.

Secret is actually taken from a 19th French poem about a 'forbidden' love ( probably of a man for a married woman or a woman who is above his station). It was rendered into song in the 19th century, and apparently Mr. Prizeman adapted it for Libera.

I've imagined that Always With You probably describes the Holy Spirit, though it could refer to Jesus.
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

I had generally assumed Always With You referred to the presence of God, too. Upon reading the words a little more carefully now, though, I'm less sure. "The shadow you always knew" doesn't fit quite so well with the Holy Spirit (who does not, in any theological system I'm aware of, indwell all Christians from birth); and "A stranger in the world without you" seems inapplicable to Jesus at the incarnation.

Thanks to some googling, the latin refrain Beati quorum via, integra est translates roughly as "Bessed is the man who walks in the way of integrity," and is the first phrase in Psalm 119. I wonder if the song refers instead to some struggle to live a life of integrity, i.e. of being true to one's self and to God. Possibly the song refers to the sin nature or "old man" as Paul put it...popping up when we think we've over come it or gotten away.

Or quite possibly I'm way, way off on the wrong tack. It wouldn't be the first time, and probably not the last one, either.

Candid--you might try sending these questions to Libera in an email and seeing if they will provide some insight. If nothing else, I'm sure they would be pleased to know that people are that interested in their songs.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

DrewE wrote:I had generally assumed Always With You referred to the presence of God, too. Upon reading the words a little more carefully now, though, I'm less sure. "The shadow you always knew" doesn't fit quite so well with the Holy Spirit (who does not, in any theological system I'm aware of, indwell all Christians from birth)
'Always' doesn't necessarily refer to the moment of physical birth, it could refer to the spiritual birth.
; and "A stranger in the world without you" seems inapplicable to Jesus at the incarnation.
I think it could mean that if we do not carry the message forth then it will be lost. The question is, when the song asks "Do you know me, who I am", who is "me" and who is "you"? Which one is the listener? "I am" is another word for God, the Father. The song could actually refer to all three - the Trinity.
Candid--you might try sending these questions to Libera in an email and seeing if they will provide some insight. If nothing else, I'm sure they would be pleased to know that people are that interested in their songs.
True, if anyone knows it would be Mr. Prizeman. I am pretty certain about the origins of Do Not Stand By My Grave and Secret.
Candid
Silver Member

Post by Candid »

I will try getting a response by Prizeman and as for
TullyBascombe wrote: Secret is actually taken from a 19th French poem about a 'forbidden' love ( probably of a man for a married woman or a woman who is above his station).
I can't imagine prizeman having a young 13 year old sing that song especially since libera has christian values in their songs.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Poems have different meanings to different people, which may not be the same as the original author's intent. I would say more, except I have class in a few.
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Candid wrote:I will try getting a response by Prizeman and as for
TullyBascombe wrote: Secret is actually taken from a 19th French poem about a 'forbidden' love ( probably of a man for a married woman or a woman who is above his station).
I can't imagine prizeman having a young 13 year old sing that song especially since libera has christian values in their songs.
I believe that the song and poem are credited on the New Dawn Album. I looked them up because I was curious about the origins of the song. As Mathmaniac suggested, the meaning intended by Mr. Prizeman may not be the same as that of the original.
Candid
Silver Member

Post by Candid »

Dear Ramie.
Thanks for your email and for taking such an interest in Libera music.
Most of our songs are, of course, quite religious and most of the words have some link to spiritual matters. The Latin is based, as you probably know, on various ancient sources.
I'm afraid we will have to leave you to decide on the other meanings yourself!
Many thanks for your support.