More Libera Covers

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: More Libera Covers

Post by Yorkie »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm">3 years ago</span>
This one is 100% his voice. I feel he is even better when singing solo. But I also get why he sings "over" the Libera songs. This boy feels so strongly the wish to be part of the group, that he inserts his voice and even his image with the group. I find it moving that he loves Libera so much.
That's true, he is obviously a huge fan and more power to him. It is difficult to judge Danny Boy partly because (I assume) his first language isn't English but also I suspect there is heavy processing (auto-tune?) which renders a slightly unnatural tone to his voice. But I do understand your support for him; I hope he gets a lot of enjoyment from making these videos.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Now I hope that what I write doesn't sound offending to you, Padmachou, as it's in no way meant to decrease what you enjoy - I don't intend to take your fun away. It's just my opinion.

To begin with, I have always had a general problem with interpretations of Libera originals other than by Libera itself. Even if a cover is quite good, I just can't help feeling reluctance, watching over their songs to remain solely belonging to them. As if it was a sacrilege. :wink: Like, for example, theoretically I'd love to sing their songs in a choir, but I'd never actually suggest it there. Less for doubts how it would turn out, but because I consider these songs as Libera's own. And if our conductor brought one of their songs to sing it with us, I would feel that above opposition against it.

Okay, this is probably just me. I'm very puristic about them. :oops: :wink:

Regarding Daniel Chien, I have to agree with Surpinto. He can sing, but I think that, if he wants to publish something on YouTube sung by him, it should be something with more distinct elements that come from him. If that makes sense?

However, what makes me angry, is the video of "If" (and I'm aware that Libera's version is a cover itself). Libera has not yet published the concert recording, and he or whoever does these videos with/for him puts concert material of a brandnew song on Youtube with his voice before Libera does. This would never come to my mind - why didn't he wait? I also find the form of this video misleading: He does properly credit who is singing. That's completely fine. But the way he, as a co-singer, is placed in the video, draws the viewer's eyes on Libera's Daniel more than on him, and someone who isn't familiar with it, assigns the wrong voice to Daniel White. I feel sorry for Daniel W. in the moment I see that.
If Libera explicitly permitted the video, I take all of this back, of course.

I understand that he would love to be a part of Libera and yes, that's stirring! But in my opinion there are better ways.

I'm sorry, Padma. :)

[Edited bc. of a typo in the name and for more clarity of the two Daniels]
Last edited by filiarheni on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

No offense taken ! :D And I was please with this channel, though I'd rather listen to Libera of course.

I agree with everything you said about "If". I find it "rude" that he uses this video that belongs to Libera/St John Smith's Square, and isn't public. Though, he is a kid, and I don't think he knows about these rules... His image being behind Daniel does produce a strange effect, and I noticed some people thought him to be a real member of Libera too, which is not ok either. Then again, he is a kid and he would probably need guidance and people to gently point that it is wrong :(

I am puzzled though about the "Libera's songs belong to Libera" part :D A great many songs they sing do not belong to them exclusively... Danny Boy being one of them. There are many classic pieces that I would love to sing with a choir, inspired by Libera or/and with a personal touch. I was delighted years ago when we did "God Rest You Merry Gentlemen". I agree that I would not like to sing "Far away", for exemple, since it is Libera's property, and we would only damage it :lol:

On the point of covers, we disagree too, for I find it touching too hear kids/choirs/groups try to make Libera covers. It is part of the reason Libera is such a great choir in my opinion, they inspire, they motivate others to do their best, to reach the same level, to have as much fun, to have this perfect unity... When it comes to covers, I am more "moved" than stunned by the performance, and that is why I listen to it... I am not sure I can find the words... I mean that I listen to it for what it means for Libera... not for the artistic personality. Though Daniel Chien can sing many difficult parts, and that is impressive, I am more interested in what it carries about his feelings for Libera.

Oh, and Yorkie, you are right to guess his language isn't english, I guess he is chinese, and I think his pronunciation to be cute :D Then again, you are right about the sound, I would like to hear the voice without interference. Perhaps he lacks confidence yet ?
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:56 pm">3 years ago</span> I have always had a general problem with interpretations of Libera originals other than by Libera itself.
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:25 pm">3 years ago</span> I am puzzled though about the "Libera's songs belong to Libera" part :D A great many songs they sing do not belong to them exclusively... Danny Boy being one of them. There are many classic pieces that I would love to sing with a choir, inspired by Libera or/and with a personal touch. I was delighted years ago when we did "God Rest You Merry Gentlemen". I agree that I would not like to sing "Far away", for exemple, since it is Libera's property, and we would only damage it :lol:
Yeah, what you call property is what I meant with Libera originals. :) Perhaps I expressed it misunderstandably, so more clearly, I was indeed talking about their own compositions such as Voca Me or How Shall I Sing. Not Danny Boy, Wayfaring Stranger or From a Distance etc. :wink:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Referring to these posts in the Right Now thread:

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:20 am">3 years ago</span>
john45 wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:51 pm">3 years ago</span> The “If” sacrilegious effort has been removed ( I hope because I suggested it should be)
I see IF still listed on YT. :( Well, even if I personally do not like it, I must admit he found a way to express his admiration for Libera and share it with whomever wants to hear it :mrgreen:
I've just had a look and to speak up in his favour, he did react and changed the concert film video into a fixed-image video so that you can't any longer see Daniel White actually singing, which, also by the title, hopefully prevents false ideas. I'm still angry about releasing a not yet published song instead of patiently waiting until Libera did it with their very own, very new recording. Which would be a sign of respect for the choir etc. you say you love. But at least it is not as "unabashed" anymore as before.

I don't know how old Daniel Chien is, but in my opinion media competency doesn't only apply to knowing the internet, being aware of its dangers, observing etiquette and the like, but also to learn about copyright questions, when like here someone starts publishing videos.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Not sure if anyone has heard these covers by PCSM (Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint-Marc)?

You Were There - I love this soloist but I think Tom Cully did a much better job on this song

O Sanctissima - personally like Libera's version better, kinda like the deeper richer tone

Sanctus

I used to listen to this guy's covers on Youtube too. I think some of his links are somewhere in this Libera Dreams forum, but thought I'll just put my favourites here:

Far Away

Sing For Ever

Song of Life