Auto tune: the ins and outs

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Lumi
Silver Member

Re: Libera in Taiwan April 2013

Post by Lumi »

Perhaps it would be appropriate to move this discussion to another topic?
Yorkie wrote:OK Lumi, what do you think has been done to the vocals on this track (and any other Libera recording)? Auto-tuning?
The sort of thing that is done to any "pop" recording. The question how much. For instance, I personally think Peace was wonderfully mixed, whereas New Dawn has tracks where I feel a certain natural quality has been lost from some of the vocals. Never minded any of it, though. But what I hear on the new video goes way beyond New Dawn in this regard.
I don't want to go into any detail in what I think has been done to the track here. Again, none of it is different from any other recording out there, but the relevant part is how much they have been used. And yes, that would include pitch correction.
Yorkie wrote:What is certain is that everybody criticising Libera for an 'over-produced' sound probably have no experience in recording, mixing and producing a record.
Yes, a lot of the criticism is on their general sound and the genre of music in comparison to traditional choirs. But I think it's obvious that some people won't like it when they feel they can't tell what part of the voice they hear on a recording is real and what is the result of heavy audio processing. And it has very little to do with their experience (or lack thereof) in music production.
Actually I think it's much easier to enjoy a heavily processed recording if you are somewhat unaware of it.
Yorkie wrote:I'm really not sure why you disagree with my last statement, which in essence is saying one man's meat is another man's poison - people like and dislike things on an individual basis and whilst you are entitled to dislike this recording it doesn't mean that everybody else has to.
I may have misunderstood you earlier. (Perhaps a good time to remember that English is not my first language. :wink: ) And I'm quite aware of this being a matter of opinion.
Yorkie wrote:I think that sums up my previous post pretty well - the critics of Libera have a belief that they should sound like traditional choirs but that is not the direction that RP has chosen to go. Who is right, the critic or the person creating the music?
I'm not sure why we are even talking about this. The reason I love Libera is their sound and music that are unlike anything else out there. Originally I was talking about the digital enhancement on the main vocal tracks and that alone, not their arrangements, any special effects or the use of digital instruments.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote:I'm not sure why we are even talking about this.
Because you said it was heavily over-produced and that the voices had been altered by the use of heavy electronic post recording editing and because I'm an argumentative SOB who could cause a fight in an empty room???

Personally, the song is not to my taste with or without 'over-production' but as dani pointed out, it isn't aimed at the existing audience in the West it is for the people they hope to attract in the East.

Is pitch correction the same as auto-tuning and at what part of the video do you hear it?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Yorkie wrote:Because you said it was heavily over-produced and that the voices had been altered by the use of heavy electronic post recording editing and because I'm an argumentative SOB who could cause a fight in an empty room???
I meant why we kept talking about all the other things we did when I was only really talking about the vocals. :lol: Take a deep breath.
Yorkie wrote:Is pitch correction the same as auto-tuning and at what part of the video do you hear it?
Yes, auto-tuning is pitch correction. Correcting pitch in post-production is pretty much a norm nowadays, and it is simply used to make vocal tracks perfectly pitched. Basically when you hear a recording where everything is perfectly in pitch (and that's what you mostly hear in modern music), chances are that pitch correction has been used. It's very useful and not a big deal at all.

It starts to become a problem (or not, as the familiar "auto-tune effect" is used intentionally by a lot of main stream artists) for example when things are over-corrected and the effect starts to correct the natural variation that occurs in pitch when a single note is sung in a song. Or when the voice starts "snapping" to the correct pitch in a very unnatural manner.
It is both but mostly the latter that is kind of what I think I might hear on the solo, not of course a whole lot of it. (You know, just to point out that this obviously is nothing more than speculation since I have nothing more than my ears to base this on. I just tend to trust them.) Most people won't probably pay any attention to it. And can I just say, before more people get pissed off for something I never said, that this tells in absolutely no way anything about the pitch of the "raw" recording.

Anyway, I wasn't really referring to that earlier. I am mainly bothered was the combination of that with all the other effects – the reverb, a strong "shimmer" (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for) around the voice and all the rest – that make me feel as though I almost can't hear Michael's beautiful voice from underneath them.
It bothers me because even with all the effects they have used for the voices say in New Dawn or the Christmas Album, I've never before had the feeling of not really hearing the real voice of the soloist.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote: I meant why we kept talking about all the other things we did when I was only really talking about the vocals. :lol: Take a deep breath.
That was my attempt at humour - the English as a second language thing again :D

OK, we are progressing. The issue is that I #thought# I knew what auto-tuning sounded like and I do not hear it on this video and nor have I heard it on any other Libera songs. Clearly you have a lot of expertise in this area and you have a good ear (as demonstrated by the competition) so I genuinely want your help on this one in order to educate myself.

I'll give an example. I remember hearing the Grayson Chance cover of Paparazzi by Lady Gaga (in the school concert, just him and a piano) and being impressed despite the odd flaw in his vocals which I thought just added to the recording. Fast forward to the release of his professional record. I read a review on iTunes where somebody was gushing about how great it was to hear real talent rather than Bieber like auto-tuned crap and laughed to myself because I thought the new Paparazzi studio recording was clearly auto-tuned (amongst other songs on the album).

Example at 1:36 (unfortunately the upload is poor quality; it is much more defined on the CD):

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Now, I have never detected that on a Libera recording and I have defended Libera against accusations of auto-tuning on their YouTube videos but it now seems I'm wrong. I'm asking this not to as part of an argument but in order to educate myself and improve my knowledge - at what point (minutes/seconds) on the video do you hear the auto-tuning and on what other Libera tracks do you hear the auto-tuning (album, song title, minutes/seconds)?

I'll be honest and say upfront that discovering that Libera uses auto-tuning would be a disappointment to me but facts are facts. Whilst we can all have an opinion on whether the editing of songs by layering in vocals, adding synth effects, dynamic range compression, etc is a good or bad thing (and we might be closer together on that point than you think) nobody is right or wrong, but auto-tuning is a whole other ball game in my opinion.

So, I'm asking this in a friendly way (honest :D ) can you point me to exactly where this auto-tuning is happening please.

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Yorkie wrote:That was my attempt at humour - the English as a second language thing again :D .
Nah, this was just your sense of humour. :mrgreen: Should have used a single exclamation mark, you know. :wink:
Yorkie wrote:Clearly you have a lot of expertise in this area
I have absolutely none. :lol: I think that's one thing that needs to be emphasised before I go any further.
Yorkie wrote:OK, we are progressing. The issue is that I #thought# I knew what auto-tuning sounded like and I do not hear it on this video and nor have I heard it on any other Libera songs.
The thing is, intrinsically auto-tune doesn't really sound like anything. It's just a tool to alter pitch. Even as a "special effect", as most people know it, there are different ways of using it. That's why I'd rather use the term pitch correction, because people associate funny things with the word "auto-tune".
Yorkie wrote:I'll be honest and say upfront that discovering that Libera uses auto-tuning would be a disappointment to me but facts are facts. Whilst we can all have an opinion on whether the editing of songs by layering in vocals, adding synth effects, dynamic range compression, etc is a good or bad thing (and we might be closer together on that point than you think) nobody is right or wrong, but auto-tuning is a whole other ball game in my opinion.
This is exactly why I at first wanted to make no particular mention of any possible effects of using pitch correction. People tend to have really weird presumptions about it. As I said, generally it's used everywhere to fine-tune pitching or to smooth out small flaws in an otherwise fine recording. Essentially to create better recordings. When it is done with that as a goal and used skillfully, it will be pretty much impossible to tell where exactly it has been used. In those cases you can just make an educated guess based on two things: 1) well, everybody uses it, so it's very probable 2) whether the recording is immaculately in pitch or not.
Yorkie wrote:Now, I have never detected that on a Libera recording and I have defended Libera against accusations of auto-tuning on their YouTube videos but it now seems I'm wrong. I'm asking this not to as part of an argument but in order to educate myself and improve my knowledge - at what point (minutes/seconds) on the video do you hear the auto-tuning and on what other Libera tracks do you hear the auto-tuning (album, song title, minutes/seconds)?
This actually more difficult than I thought: the more carefully I listen to the recording, the more I hear all the natural aspects of the voice. One thing I paid attention to was the curious smoothness and steadiness of the longer notes, but that I think could just as well be compression. I suppose all of it could be, really... Just some weird transitions I think I'm hearing: around Wo de qing bu yi / wo de ai bu bian / yue liang dai biao wo de xin.

Now can I just say one more time: whether or not the reason is pitch correction, it in no way suggests for instance that the original recording was not sufficiently in pitch. What I was worried about was the overall effect on the voice, and in that sense whether what I hear is auto-tune or a mix of the Chinese language and heavy compression (which it could very well be) does not really even matter to me. I asked a friend of mine for an opinion, she is a bit of a purist regarding music and her answer (without knowing anything about Libera) was along the lines of "I really can't tell, but my guess would be auto-tune."

Never been bothered by that sort of a thing before on any Libera track, even on ones that have otherwise too many effects on them for my taste. That's why I mentioned it in the first place.

It rather terrifies me that I am suddenly the one "accusing" Libera of using "auto-tune", when that was never my point and not even the aspect I first paid attention to. The reason I am now speaking in such detail about it is because I have a tendency to over-analyse everything and anything I can get my hands on, and can do absolutely nothing about it. :roll: It's all just speculation, so please don't read too much into this.
Yorkie wrote:I'll give an example. I remember hearing the Grayson Chance cover of Paparazzi by Lady Gaga (in the school concert, just him and a piano) and being impressed despite the odd flaw in his vocals which I thought just added to the recording. Fast forward to the release of his professional record. I read a review on iTunes where somebody was gushing about how great it was to hear real talent rather than Bieber like auto-tuned crap and laughed to myself because I thought the new Paparazzi studio recording was clearly auto-tuned (amongst other songs on the album).

Example at 1:36 (unfortunately the upload is poor quality; it is much more defined on the CD):
Yes, heavy auto-tuning is obviously used on the CD recording, but how much of it is actual pitch correction and how much is an intentional effect is difficult to tell. My guess would be mostly the latter, given that it's a professional recording of a good singer. It seems that in a lot pop music strong auto-tuning is the sound, and it's used because that's more or less what people want to hear. Chance is obviously talented and has an excellent sense of pitch – it's not even possible to sing like that without one, it would sound rubbish. In the school concert video he seems to be kind of pushing himself beyond his capacity, and starts going flat when he does that... So I suppose that sort of a thing might need correcting also in a studio recording, but I'd still say it's done mostly for the effect.

People say a lot of silly things about musicians just based on whether they like them or not, and the Bieber-bashing phenomena is a prime example. They call him a bad singer because his character annoys them and well, yes, he obviously uses a lot of auto-tune. But if those people actually understood anything about music and had ever listened to a video of him singing in a street corner before getting famous or even now somewhere to his fans without a microphone, they'd know much better than that. He is a very talented singer.
A musician named David Choi made an excellent Youtube rant on the topic, but unfortunately the video is now private. :mrgreen:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: The Moon Represents My Heart (Chinese song)

Post by Yorkie »

Well, you are rather tricky to pin down. Lets approach this in a different way. You stated that auto-tune doesn't intrinsically sound like anything. This is a surprise to me because because I thought it was always apparent and left a distinct artificial warble/yodel effect on the vocal.

Can you post some videos to none Libera songs that have been auto-tuned in a similar way to what might have happened to this new Libera song? This will help me to understand what you believe is going on. I can find many, many songs that are known to be auto-tuned but every one has, to a varying degree, a noticeable tell-tale signature similar to the Greyson Chance song I posted. I'm just not hearing this on Libera songs so I'm now wondering if I'm 'looking' for the right thing.

Thanks in advance

Mercy & Love