Auto tune?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Lumi
Silver Member

Re: Auto tune?

Post by Lumi »

TullyBascombe wrote:Wouldn't using a program to alter a singer's pitch noticeably change the character of the voice?
Again, I'm not a professional, but they are pretty good at this sort of things nowadays. And for most artists (well, at least the ones to be taken seriously) it's not really much more than fine-tuning anyway.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Can this be done in real time during a performance? There would be insufficient time for a human operator to react. How would one design a program that can judge whether a particular note is on pitch and correct it rapidly without distorting it fast enough to not be noticed by the audience?
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

TullyBascombe wrote:Can this be done in real time during a performance? There would be insufficient time for a human operator to react. How would one design a program that can judge whether a particular note is on pitch and correct it rapidly without distorting it fast enough to not be noticed by the audience?
Well, I'm pretty sure it's done in the concerts of some artists, but then it will probably sound like auto-tune very clearly. Nowadays you actually hear it being used just for the effect... I doubt arranging it is much more complicated than any other audio processing that is done on the spot.

I hardly think we will need to worry about Libera ever using such tricks, though. :lol:
Prototype

Post by Prototype »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:31 am">11 years ago</span> Wouldn't using a program to alter a singer's pitch noticeably change the character of the voice?
If the singer was only say a semitone out then the adjustment would not be noticable, and I suspect during production, in Libera's case at least, voices are tweeked on a note by note basis, rather that processing the whole track.

As previous posters have stated, I can guarantee a little bit of tweeking is done in the studio, but as for live performances I very much doubt it, in fact I imagine it being very difficult if not impossible with that many vocal parts, each of the boys voices would need to be auto tuned seperately and in real time. Real time auto tuning is possible, but on that scale I cant imagine it.