International zone

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Candid
Silver Member

Post by Candid »

I love where I'm at Im in the Disney College Program, we live with people from all over the world and its a great oppurtunity for me to practice other languages and get familiar with cultural differences up close. Also Im from Illinois and its considered to be one of the most diverse states in america.
dillonryan

Post by dillonryan »

Ok, I lived in the U.K. from birth to around my seventh birthday, then we moved to the U.S. I currently live in Louisville, KY, where I have lived for about seven years, ever since we moved. So if anyone has any questions about either of the two places, I'll do my best. It would probably be better to ask some of the other people on the board who currently live in the U.K., though, since I haven't been there for a while.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

What part of the UK did you live in Dillon?
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Somebody mentioned Canada--anyone else been to (or from) Canada? I study Canadian history at my university but don't know many people from Canada...
dillonryan

Post by dillonryan »

I lived in an estate called Grendon Underwood, In a small town called Aylesbury. It's sort of kind of close to Bicester.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

dillonryan wrote:I lived in an estate called Grendon Underwood, In a small town called Aylesbury. It's sort of kind of close to Bicester.
Oh Bicester supposed to be nice, I have a work colleague who lives there.
email

Post by email »

hi there! i'm from indonesia..
it's famous for bali's beach, food, so many different kind of cutlture..
but i live in jakarta, in a city that similar to singapore..
i've been to canada's waterfall, and i wish i can go there again someday..
in daylight you can see small rainbow there..
and at night..uuughh it's romantic view with colourful light..
wish could go there again ....
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

*nudge :wink:
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Well, I think I've decided to move back to South Africa when I've graduated from college. Sorry, I'd love to go to England and perhaps I still will, but after you've seen the Drakensburg mountains, you would never want to leave.

Here's a question though, if you were to get paid to relocate with or without your immediate family, all travel and expenses paid for, housing provided, transportation provided, and college tuition and fees covered, where would you go?
For me it would be a toss up between South Africa, Australia, and England.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

kjackson83 wrote:Somebody mentioned Canada--anyone else been to (or from) Canada? I study Canadian history at my university but don't know many people from Canada...
Here's a Canadian for you. I am from Vancouver, British Columbia. We Canadian are known to be utra polite, say 'eh' and 'sorry' at least 20 times a day. But really, we are pretty normal. BTW, even though this is British Columbia, we here really don't have a British accent.

Ann
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

tcenrt wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:Somebody mentioned Canada--anyone else been to (or from) Canada? I study Canadian history at my university but don't know many people from Canada...
Here's a Canadian for you. I am from Vancouver, British Columbia. We Canadian are known to be utra polite, say 'eh' and 'sorry' at least 20 times a day. But really, we are pretty normal. BTW, even though this is British Columbia, we here really don't have a British accent.

Ann
Cool--I've actually been to BC (there's a Surrey in BC, too!)

It's interesting, your bit about accents: we didn't notice any, either, but the MPs for Vancouver-Centre and one other (Vancouver-Quadra, I think) both speak with passable, albeit light, British accents...is it a regional thing?

I loved BC, by the way--you have one of the best orchestras in North America up there!
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

kjackson83 wrote:Cool--I've actually been to BC (there's a Surrey in BC, too!)

It's interesting, your bit about accents: we didn't notice any, either, but the MPs for Vancouver-Centre and one other (Vancouver-Quadra, I think) both speak with passable, albeit light, British accents...is it a regional thing?

I loved BC, by the way--you have one of the best orchestras in North America up there!
Actually, BC, especially Vancouver (or Greater Vancouver area), is one big international melting pot. You can pick up all type of accented English here, which, sometimes, can be a little annoying. But just English accents itself, can already be quite divided .....has to be extra careful when I try to distinquish between British, Irish, Scottish, Australian, New Zealander, or South African English.......may offend some people, you know. And beside English English, we also has French English, Chinese English, Punjabi English, and ...............American English here. :wink: :lol:

You should come here next year, the winter olympic will be held in Feb.

Ann
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

i live in richmond, virginia in the US, but I'm from canada. I lived there until i was about 10, and i'm 17 now.
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

heeh91 wrote:i live in richmond, virginia in the US, but I'm from canada. I lived there until i was about 10, and i'm 17 now.
A former Canadian, eh! Which part of Canada were you from? East Coast, West Coast, the Prairie.....?

Ann
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

tcenrt wrote:A former Canadian, eh! Which part of Canada were you from? East Coast, West Coast, the Prairie.....?

Ann
east coast. quebec.