International zone

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

xsakurax
Gold Member

International zone

Post by xsakurax »

Hey, I'm kind of feeling bored, so I decided to start a thread which I named international zone! Haha. I guess, maybe we could discuss things such as your country, its tourists attractions, share a little about the culture and traditions, languages, and practically about anything that you want. And how about this scenario - If you were to play host to Libera in your country, what would you like them to perform at? What about some activities that .. The food etc...

I'm just curious to learn more about the many countries out there in the world. Haha.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

well, I have somewhat of a dilemma here as I currently live in the U.S.A. but am actually from South Africa. So I guess I could tell you about both if you wanted.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

I think its a great Idea, I for one have always been interested in learning more about other cultures and people. I am a big Travel Channel and Discovery Channel fan.
If we could get some specific questions, then everyone could respond with answers to that question according to their situation and where they live.
I live near Chicago IL. in the United States. if anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Well, I live near Harrisburg, PA, the state capitol. Just down the Susquhanna River a few miles is Three Mile Island, home of the nuclear power plant that still holds the unfortunate record of almost melting down back in 1978. There are Amish communities all over this area. Gettysburg, one of the most important battles in the Civil War is just about 30 miles down the road.
I live in Cumberland County near Sterritt's Gap in the Blue Mountain, which has a monument marking the northern most post where Confederate troops ever were.

In Harrisburg, there is a great place for the boys to play called The Forum. It has a full size pipe organ for them to sing with and the place holds 2000 people. I've performed there and it is a great place.

I think that if I could take them all out to eat, we would avoid all the fancy 5 star restuarants and just go to a nice normal family style place to eat, maybe a buffet style place. There is a great place in Gettysburg called General Pickett's Buffet and it's all you can eat for $10.00. I am sure after all the high class food, they would all enjoy normal American food.

There are also various places for them to play games such as paintball and so on. I'd also try to find someplace they all could hang out and not worry about crowds and just relax and be themselves.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Hershey Park is here plus if they would come on the 1st week of November, I can get them tickets to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra and they could go home knowing they've seen one of the best live rock shows ever!!!!
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Well, as you guys know, I live in Singapore. And Singapore really, is a super SMALL and TINY country. I can say it's densely populated, with over 4.6 million living in 707.1 km2 of land. If you live in a big country, you really can't imagine how small it is. Just let you know, it takes a mere hour plus to travel from the far end from the East to West of the country, either by train or car.

And basically, the whole country is like an urban city. The one thing unique about my country is that most of us live in high rise flats. (Space crunch, haha.) Oh yeah, summer whole year round! No snow, no mountains, just buildings! Well, we do not a bit of greenery here and there, nice clean beaches as well. And Sentosa Island is definitely one of the most beautiful tourist attraction we have!

If the Libera boys were to come Singapore, or anyone of you, you guys must definitely try the local food! You don't have to go fancy high class restaurant to taste the best of our local fare! I recommend you the hawker centres and coffee shops/food centres! Some of the must try food like: Chicken rise, Satay, Char Kway Tiao (fried noodles/kway tiao), chilli crab, chicken curry, roti prata (made from dough) and many more.. It's a food paradise! And food from hawker centres or food centres are really cheap! :D
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

well i come from rainy england, where there is a mix between countryside and towns and cities, we are quite lucky in that respect.
the sun hardly shines and when it does appear, its usually hindered by clouds (actually today is blue skys and sunshine, freak accurance i think :D)

we have a whole list of tourist attractions, such as big ben, buckingham palace, the london eye and stone henge etc.

when libera do concerts in england i think they should sing in westminster cathedral it has amazing accoustics and is in the heart of london, so they can go see the attractions, even though they probably seen them all before lol. Also i think that they should perform in exetrer cathedral i think the atmosphere of being in beatufiul devon and in a wonderful peice of architure will make the whole experiance of seeing libera that little bit more special :)
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

Wow, Singapore sounds a little too crowded for me. I live in a small town of about 5,000 people 60 miles southwest of Chicago. My work takes me to Chicago quite a lot, and I must say it is a relief to get back my quiet town at the end of the day. Chicago is a great place to visit, but I would not want to live there. The roadways are quite busy and getting around Chicago can be quite a pain :evil:

I live in a river valley that has many beautiful state parks. Most of the surrounding communities are fairly small also. A lot of the area is agricultural and we have a lot of corn and bean fields, but we also have some very scenic valleys with hills and cliffs. There is a lot of wooded areas too, and a lot of people in this area like to hunt and fish.

Chicago is full of entertainment, Two major league baseball teams, the Cubs and White sox. Pro football team the Bears, Pro basketball team the Bulls, and a pro hockey team the Blackhawks. Chicago also has two Zoos, and many museums and other attractions. Chicago is situated along the west shores of Lake Michigan. Donald Trump is in the process of putting up the largest Skyscraper in Chicago. The Sears tower has the record right now until the Trump Tower is complete.

Unfortunately we have all four seasons here, I love spring summer and fall but hate winter. We can get some days in winter that are just way too cold -20 to -25 F :shock: . I work outside year round so you can see why I don't like winter. The snowy winter days are beautiful unless you have to drive and work in it.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Wow! All your countries sound really great! I'll definitely want to visit the places someday! I mean, I'm so envious you guys have places like countrysides, sub-urban areas, and my ideal life is like a laid back countryside living, with maybe some place to grow peaches and berries! Sometimes, I always find the city living too fast paced, and stressful. I really don't mind getting closer to mother nature, and observing the scenic surroundings and watch the world goes by. And because countyside living is good, you get to get some peace and relax from the busy city life. Oh, and I don't mind living near the Swiss Alps, every morning when you get up, you can see the beautiful alps right from your window! Smell the fresh air and embrace mother nature!
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

I would love to see the Alps someday. I did have the pleasure of being able to work in Denver Colorado for three months a couple of years ago. It was amazingly beautiful. The Colorado Rocky mountains were a stunning sight.

What was really kind of neat is I was there in the summer and Denver was quite hot, but you could look up and see the snow covered mountains. I took a train that takes you to the top of Pikes Peak, the tallest part of the mountain. The elevation is so high you are above the clouds, and the air is very thin. I got off the train and nearly fainted because of the low oxygen level. I then got a good old migraine headache from it too and suffered the whole trip down. It guess it was worth it for the sights I got to see, but am definately not cut out for the thin air.
Denver itself is actually a mile above sea level and you can tell the difference there. It took about two weeks to adjust.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

I'm from America, but I'd rather be from the U.K. ;) One of these days....
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

hi kjackson i just want to know what attracts you to the uk? loads of people want to come here but no-one has really said why.
hope you are ok

kara
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

@original question:
I forgot the second half: if we were to host Libera...well, wait, haven't we done that twice? People in my corner of the U.S. seem to have a collective, pathological dislike of boys singing (maybe this is a regional cultural thing)--I wonder how well a concert of theirs would go off down here in Houston...? In any case, I'd recommend they come in a refrigerated truck (oops: "lorry")--it's too hot down here most of the year!

@Kara:
The U.K.'s rich historical tradition for one, but mostly the idea of a cultured, outward-looking populace. If what we see through the lens of things like BBC World Service and other aspects of British popular culture mean anything, the U.K. tends to be an open-minded, world-wise nation that embraces things I personally hold very dear (classical music, for example, and your glorious cathedral choirs). The United States, like any nation, has certain cultural stereotypes that don't agree with me. I also enjoy your politics greatly, and the involvement and literacy of so many people in your politics--ours are...shall we say, less evolved, in many respects, compared to yours (but you have a head start!)

Maybe it's not the whole story (if that's the case, the BBC sure does a magnificent job selling the U.K. on the world stage), and I'm sure there are caveats (like knife crime...or David Cameron ;) ) in Great Britain, but I think it would be a wonderful experience to live in a new, different place...and the U.K. is so charming.

As I'm wrapping up my Master of Arts, I'm looking around for universities to finish the doctorate at--the University of Leeds is one of them, and I'm also hunting for a good history program at a London-area university.

According to online information, once I've finished this MA thing, I'll be a "highly-qualified" applicant for a work visa-citizenship track, soooooooooo.......;)

No seriously: I love your country--its history, people, scenery, culture, weather...oh yeah, and that one group from Croydon--and one of these days I do seriously hope to immigrate there on a permanent basis.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

thanx for the answer kjackson, its nice to hear about what people think of the uk as when you live in it you forget what it has to offer! i wonder what this group is called that you speak of lol :D. i suggest you think of the universty of leeds my brother goes there and he says it is amazing.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

tcliffy wrote:well, I have somewhat of a dilemma here as I currently live in the U.S.A. but am actually from South Africa. So I guess I could tell you about both if you wanted.
Let's hear about S. Africa! Are you from Johannesburg? It sounds like S.A. is about to get a new president.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I was just about to say that since we have so many "Americans" here, I should talk about Africa since I am only like 2% American anyway. (app. 80% Celtic, 15% S. African - though that would make me of European descent anyway- and the rest would be Jewish.)

South Africa has a violent and bloddy past with recent years seeing an increase in violence around the Johannesburg (Jo'Burg) area. I am from Pretoria where it is a whole lot less violent and is absolutely gorgeous. As most of you know, it is in the Southern hemisphere so our winter will be their summer and vice versa.

Geographically, South Africa has it all. In the western regions, you have mountains and valley's and such as well as world famous vineyards and wineries. Perhaps the most popular mountain and most famous is table mountain in Cape Town. It is called that because cloud banks often form above it making it look as if it has a large white table cloth on top.

South Africa also has vast plains and savanna's home to some of the greatest and most beautiful wildlife in the world. In the North-Central almost Eastern regions you have the world famous Kruger Park. In the very North/Northeast, you have of course the beginnings of the Kalahari desert. Everywhere you go, you will encounter magnificent splendors.

South Africa has 3 capitals - Cape Town, Bloemfontein, and Pretoria. There are over 27 nationally recognized languages, however, most people understand English and are fairly fluent in it.

Like Digs, we have all four seasons as well. In winter in the mountains, it does snow fairly heavily, in the summer it gets outrageously hot (but not humid) and spring and fall are just the best times of all.

If Libera were to go there, I suppose (like the US) it would depend on what part. Eastern South Africa is home to the Drakensburg Boys Choir and since South Africa was once dominated by the Dutch and the English, choirs are a big part of Christian and school life therefore, I would imagine they would get an amazing reception.

This picture is a picture of Pretoria near where I lived...

and this is of the actual city of Pretoria...
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;