International zone

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

heeh91 wrote:
tcenrt wrote:A former Canadian, eh! Which part of Canada were you from? East Coast, West Coast, the Prairie.....?

Ann
east coast. quebec.
:D Do you speak french at home now that you are living in the States?
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Here's a question though, if you were to get paid to relocate with or without your immediate family, all travel and expenses paid for, housing provided, transportation provided, and college tuition and fees covered, where would you go?
Hmm... The most important factor I look for would be safety, definitely somewhere safe to live in, low crimes areas. Next probably would be somewhere close to nature, with beautiful scenery. I'll really love to live in Zurich, Switzerland but if only the people speak English..which I don't think so right? The official languages are German, French, Italian and something else? Vancouver in Canada sounds like a perfect place to live in too. Or maybe Toronto. America seems like a great place with loads of opportunities too, and perhaps Connecticut sounds like an ideal place too.. I love countries with cool weather, a 18-20 degrees Celsius temperature is perfect! I think it's really hard for me to settle in one particular place. If given the opportunity, I'd love to travel around the world! I'm really greedy, isn't it? Haha.

There's really isn't a place that totally fits my ideal place to live in.. Not that I know of.. Guess I'm pretty choosy. :D But if you do know, please tell me!

My ideal country to live in:
safe
cool weather
snow in winter
people speak english
beautiful lakes
friendly neighbourhood
not too far off from city area
somewhere quiet...
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

xsakurax wrote:[There's really isn't a place that totally fits my ideal place to live in.. Not that I know of.. Guess I'm pretty choosy. :D But if you do know, please tell me!

safe
cool weather
snow in winter
people speak english
beautiful lakes
friendly neighbourhood
somewhere quiet...
Why would you like snow in winter? :shock: :shock: Believe me, that stuff is only good to look at, maybe on the mountain but definitely not in the city. It is a nuisance for city dwellers.

Although, I believe you will like Vancouver. The climate is perfect if you don't mind the rain, but if you want somewhere quieter, try Vancouver Island.......2 hours ferry ride from Vancouver and it is even prettier over there.

Ann
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Why would you like snow in winter? Shocked Shocked Believe me, that stuff is only good to look at, maybe on the mountain but definitely not in the city. It is a nuisance for city dwellers.

Although, I believe you will like Vancouver. The climate is perfect if you don't mind the rain, but if you want somewhere quieter, try Vancouver Island.......2 hours ferry ride from Vancouver and it is even prettier over there.

Ann
Cool! Oh, cos I've haven't got the opportunity to experience winter before! And snow and winter comes together. HAHA! I'd love to have snow fights with friends and build a snow man! Hopefully, I'll get to go Vancouver someday! I have some friends who went there, and didn't want to come back anymore! Staying there for good! :D
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

tcenrt wrote:
xsakurax wrote:[There's really isn't a place that totally fits my ideal place to live in.. Not that I know of.. Guess I'm pretty choosy. :D But if you do know, please tell me!

safe
cool weather
snow in winter
people speak english
beautiful lakes
friendly neighbourhood
somewhere quiet...
Why would you like snow in winter? :shock: :shock: Believe me, that stuff is only good to look at, maybe on the mountain but definitely not in the city. It is a nuisance for city dwellers.

Ann
I hope Vancouver copes better next year than it did over this previous winter...
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

kjackson83 wrote:
tcenrt wrote:

safe
cool weather
snow in winter
people speak english
beautiful lakes
friendly neighbourhood
somewhere quiet...

Ann
I hope Vancouver copes better next year than it did over this previous winter...
Haha, we were crippled last winter.... and the rest of the country (if not the world) were laughing at us.

Ann
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

tcenrt wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:
tcenrt wrote:

Ann
Haha, we were crippled last winter.... and the rest of the country (if not the world) were laughing at us.

Ann
lol...when they weren't laughing at Greater London's freakout over a light dusting of snow!
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

xsakurax wrote:
Here's a question though, if you were to get paid to relocate with or without your immediate family, all travel and expenses paid for, housing provided, transportation provided, and college tuition and fees covered, where would you go?
Hmm... The most important factor I look for would be safety, definitely somewhere safe to live in, low crimes areas. Next probably would be somewhere close to nature, with beautiful scenery. I'll really love to live in Zurich, Switzerland but if only the people speak English..which I don't think so right? The official languages are German, French, Italian and something else? Vancouver in Canada sounds like a perfect place to live in too. Or maybe Toronto. America seems like a great place with loads of opportunities too, and perhaps Connecticut sounds like an ideal place too.. I love countries with cool weather, a 18-20 degrees Celsius temperature is perfect! I think it's really hard for me to settle in one particular place. If given the opportunity, I'd love to travel around the world! I'm really greedy, isn't it? Haha.

There's really isn't a place that totally fits my ideal place to live in.. Not that I know of.. Guess I'm pretty choosy. :D But if you do know, please tell me!

safe
cool weather
snow in winter
people speak english
beautiful lakes
friendly neighbourhood
somewhere quiet...
You should try Denmark or Sweden; year on year they are voted in the top 5 places in the world to live and the numbers of English speakers in the Nordics is always very high.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Norway and Sweden. Once you've been there, You'll never want to leave. They are both absolutely beautiful. If I were going to live anywhere that far north, I'd instantly move to Norway.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paopao

Post by paopao »

does US government give free cash/money to everyone who wants to stay in Alaska? someone told me about that.. but he could be wrong
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

paopao wrote:does US government give free cash/money to everyone who wants to stay in Alaska? someone told me about that.. but he could be wrong
The state does, but not the federal gov't...the state gets a huge amount of money from oil revenues and "subsidises" Alaskan residences--a friend of mine in undergraduate was from Fairbanks and said his family got a total of around $1000-$1200 a month from the state...but then again, cost of living in Alaska is in some ways quite a bit more than in the rest of the United States...
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

tcliffy wrote: Here's a question though, if you were to get paid to relocate with or without your immediate family, all travel and expenses paid for, housing provided, transportation provided, and college tuition and fees covered, where would you go?
:D Here:

Woking, Surrey

Or here:

Dorking, Surrey

Woking is closer to London ('woking' distance...ha...ha...:P ), but Dorking is smaller and less urbanised...
paopao

Post by paopao »

kjackson83 wrote:
paopao wrote:does US government give free cash/money to everyone who wants to stay in Alaska? someone told me about that.. but he could be wrong
The state does, but not the federal gov't...the state gets a huge amount of money from oil revenues and "subsidises" Alaskan residences--a friend of mine in undergraduate was from Fairbanks and said his family got a total of around $1000-$1200 a month from the state...but then again, cost of living in Alaska is in some ways quite a bit more than in the rest of the United States...
wow, but i still can't imagine the lifestyle of the Alaskan..
and speaking about beautiful view, i vote for Alaska! never been there though..
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surrey it's got to be huh?

http://www.surreyproperty.com/photo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... height=750

This isn't far from Dorking. The church (12th centrury) you can see is beautiful (my sister was married there) and on Christmas Eve the vicar and choir hold a carol service on the green outside the church (which is also just across from the pub). All the village turns out to join in the singing. It's like something out of Dickens! You can pop in to the pub to get warm with mulled wine & then back outside for a rousing chorus of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman- wonderful :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shere" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the picture shows up - my first attempt! Nope - I'll just post the link instead :?
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:Surrey it's got to be huh?

http://www.surreyproperty.com/photo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... height=750

This isn't far from Dorking. The church (12th centrury) you can see is beautiful (my sister was married there) and on Christmas Eve the vicar and choir hold a carol service on the green outside the church (which is also just across from the pub). All the village turns out to join in the singing. It's like something out of Dickens! You can pop in to the pub to get warm with mulled wine & then back outside for a rousing chorus of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman- wonderful :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shere" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the picture shows up - my first attempt! Nope - I'll just post the link instead :?

And it's nice and small, I see :) I want to spend a Christmas or two (or twenty) in England :D with the snow :!: :!:

Great location, too: right smack dab in the middle of Surrey :!: