If you can decide, who is your single,most favorite soloist?

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: If you can decide, who is your single,most favorite soloist?

Post by filiarheni »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:48 pm">5 years ago</span> I have a question. Who do you think are Libera's "unsung soloists?' I mean those who, by reason of too much competition, hiatus in producing albums/videos, appearing early in the group's history, or brief time with Libera, often get overlooked (by those who can't attend concerts) in spite of extraordinary performances. I nominate Anthony Chadney, Simon Beston, Matthew Jansen, Daniel Fontannaz, Jakob de Menezes-Wood, James Mordaunt, and Lucas Wood, among others. Your thoughts?
Ed Day and Liam Connery. When it comes to listing our favourite soloists, Ed is not often and Liam hardly ever mentioned, although both were really good. Plus, in Ed's case, to his disadvantage the title picture of the youtube video of Robert's Ave Maria shows Tom Cully, who sang the 2nd voice, which leads to many people's wrong assumption that the main voice was sung by Tom and forget about Ed.

And Liam had a splendid, particularly clear voice. :D

Interesting question, btw!
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:48 pm">5 years ago</span> I have a question. Who do you think are Libera's "unsung soloists?'
I would add Freddie, for his solo on Always with you in Epsom in 2011 - and The First Nowell on The Christmas album (which made me think who could do a re-recording of that one, see the Christmas album 2019 thread :wink: ).
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I'm really mad I never get to hear some of them live, especially for the ones who did not record many songs. As when it comes to Freddie and James Mordaunt, they had very brief time to shine, but they did. A bit like Gabe I think, and I'm really happy he could record the Ave Maria before his voice broke.
Liam Connery was one of the best ever to do the high notes ; I'm thinking it might be because of him and Ed Day I do not like Stay with me live anymore :lol: They did too good of a job.
Daniel actually did an amazing job on Panis Angelicus and Veni, Veni Emmanuel. And Jakob Menezez-Wood on Jubilate is so perfect ! Although I cannot tell if they were so good when they sang live.

Lately I'm overwhelmed about the number of fantastic soloists we can hear at the same time. I mean, Liam Connery, Tom Cully, Ben Philipp and Ed Day made a fantastic group, but it feels to me (but I have to admit I never attended any of their concerts) like they were the only soloists at that time. Only 4 of them, mainly. If I look only at the very last concert in Brighton there were : Benedict, Oliver WR, Dominik, Oliver M, Tadgh, Rocco, Victor, Merlin, Leo, Matthias, and Samuel-F who all got the opportunity to shine. 11 of them :o Of course some of them are more frequently heard than the others, but still... It's extraordinary especially as they all are really good, not just some of them.
mickmackin wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:54 am">7 years ago</span> I believe each of Libera's really great soloists have at least one signature song that sets them apart from all the other soloists. For example, for me one of the best renditions I've ever heard, was Ave Maria was from Thomas Delgado-Little.
I like your point of view ! We all have favourites, and particularly favourite renditions of specific songs. Exsultate is a hot topic among fans, some like it, some do not. I do not like it so much but Thomas DL made me like it ! Just like I did not like Lacrymosa, but Leo's voice made it just perfect eventually. I do not listen to James Mordaunt's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas as much as I listen to Michael U-R's version... Sometimes the soloist just matches the song perfectly.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:48 pm">5 years ago</span> I have a question. Who do you think are Libera's "unsung soloists?'
I wish we could have heard more solo performances by Dylan Duffy.
The one and only time his solo voice was heard was when he sang "Mysterium" with Lucas Wood at Guildford in 20something.
Lovely voice which deserved greater exposure.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re:

Post by maartendas »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:00 pm">5 years ago</span> Lately I'm overwhelmed about the number of fantastic soloists we can hear at the same time. [...] If I look only at the very last concert in Brighton there were : Benedict, Oliver WR, Dominik, Oliver M, Tadgh, Rocco, Victor, Merlin, Leo, Matthias, and Samuel-F who all got the opportunity to shine. 11 of them :o Of course some of them are more frequently heard than the others, but still... It's extraordinary especially as they all are really good, not just some of them.
Agree completely. This 'generation' feels like another golden one.
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:00 pm">5 years ago</span> Sometimes the soloist just matches the song perfectly.
As for Stay With Me, personally I think of this now as Oliver M's song, even though I once heard it by Daniel F who really shone on it. It will be difficult to get used to a new soloist.
The same goes for Ralph and The Fountain, for me anyway.
Robolib7

Re: Re:

Post by Robolib7 »

[/quote]
As for Stay With Me, personally I think of this now as Oliver M's song, even though I once heard it by Daniel F who really shone on it. It will be difficult to get used to a new soloist.
The same goes for Ralph and The Fountain, for me anyway.
[/quote]

I don't remember hearing Daniel F do the solo on Stay With Me but I still enjoy listening to the Joe Platt and Ed Day versions.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Robolib7 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:21 pm">5 years ago</span> I don't remember hearing Daniel F do the solo on Stay With Me but I still enjoy listening to the Joe Platt and Ed Day versions.
Daniel sang Stay With Me in Epsom in 2011 - perhaps on other occasions as well, but I'm not sure.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Having just heard "Bailero" for the first time (thanks to Rudy, who posted it on the Libera Facebook fan page), I have to add Chris Baron to the list.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2264629 ... highlights
Last edited by Amie_Hill on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andmar
Silver Member

Re:

Post by andmar »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:00 pm">5 years ago</span> If I look only at the very last concert in Brighton there were : Benedict, Oliver WR, Dominik, Oliver M, Tadgh, Rocco, Victor, Merlin, Leo, Matthias, and Samuel-F who all got the opportunity to shine. 11 of them :o Of course some of them are more frequently heard than the others, but still... It's extraordinary especially as they all are really good, not just some of them.
I find it really fantastic that there are so many excellent soloists now. I'm so glad so many of them get the chance to have an "own" song. They all work hard and they all deserve it. I'm also very glad that we can hear so many soloists on the recent CDs "Hope" and "Beyond". A treble "career" is so short, and they all deserve to be remembered.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:09 pm">5 years ago</span>
Robolib7 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:21 pm">5 years ago</span> I don't remember hearing Daniel F do the solo on Stay With Me but I still enjoy listening to the Joe Platt and Ed Day versions.
Daniel sang Stay With Me in Epsom in 2011 - perhaps on other occasions as well, but I'm not sure.
Daniel was the regular soloist for "Stay With Me" from 2009 to 2011. He was succeeded in 2012 by Cassius O'Connell-White.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:15 pm">5 years ago</span> Daniel was the regular soloist for "Stay With Me" from 2009 to 2011. He was succeeded in 2012 by Cassius O'Connell-White.
Wow, I just checked the details and Daniel also sang Stay With Me at my first ever Libera concert (Dublin, 2009) - but I totally forgot :shock:
I guess it's because everything happened in a flash that night :wink:
Two years later, in Epsom, much further from the stage, I had a different experience and noticed Daniel's radiance of positivity in his singing, which is why his solo remained so memorable.
TrebleVoices

Post by TrebleVoices »

This is my favourite soloist. Can you tell who it is?

IMAG0325.jpg
IMAG0325.jpg (83.36 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
IMAG0325.jpg
IMAG0325.jpg (83.36 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:45 pm">5 years ago</span> Having just heard "Bailero" for the first time (thanks to Rudy, who posted it on the Libera Facebook fan page), I have to add Chris Barron to the list.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2264629 ... highlights
It has been removed but can be found here:
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

[quote=Amie_Hill post_id=53738 time=1545331713 user_id=820]
I have a question. Who do you think are Libera's "unsung soloists?'

I have only been able to see Libera perform live in 3 concerts. I wish there were more recordings or Youtube videos of Ralph Skan and Ciaran Bradbury-Hickey.
DaleyDeil

Post by DaleyDeil »

Hands down for me a tie between Ralph Skan and Isaac London... something about their voice gives me so much emotion.

Yeah i do feel the same way about these “unsung soloist” mentioned. I remember i was so glad when Mini James finally had a solo with The Fountain and that became one of my fave! And then just like that *poof* he left Libera. I’m just glad he had that one beautiful song to leave a mark on Libera and he left on a high note.

Alfie Smart is probably that member whom i wish have a solo.
Are you the hope are you the key?