Movies

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Flora wrote:I just saw "Inception" for the second time in theaters! Has anyone else seen it yet? It's one of the craziest movies I've ever watched, but I adored it--Leo DiCaprio sure has come a long way from his Titanic days!
I've watched it twice in IMAX. Totally worth the ticket price I paid.

I've also watched Salt last week. The female Jason Bourne is born. They said the script was originally written for Tom Cruise. I think rewriting it for Angelina Jolie made it better.
Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

Charlie St. Cloud looked amazing, but the trailer alone made my eyes well up! If you go, libera36, will you tell us how it was?
TEB wrote:Does anyone in my age group, early 50's remember a tv show called The Thunderbirds? I just watched the 2 theatrical movies that the Andersons made from that show, Thunderbirds Are Go and Thunderbird 6. While they are a little dated nowadays, the special effects still stand the test of time. Especially the crash scenes in both of them. This was in the days before every filmmaker used computer generated effects. The effects in The Thunderbirds were all done with models, even the explosions. The best effects are still done with models. You can tell a computer effect a mile away.
You've inspired me to look these up! After the Michael Bay overload of these last few years, real movie effects sound like a welcome relief.

Phlibera, thanks for the interesting fact about Tom Cruise! I want to see Salt sometime next week. My city's got some really cool billboards up to advertise it.
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Anybody knows who sang "Agnus Dei" featured in the first 20 seconds of the Vampires Suck trailer?
[youtube][/youtube]
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Flora wrote:Charlie St. Cloud looked amazing, but the trailer alone made my eyes well up! If you go, libera36, will you tell us how it was?
TEB wrote:Does anyone in my age group, early 50's remember a tv show called The Thunderbirds? I just watched the 2 theatrical movies that the Andersons made from that show, Thunderbirds Are Go and Thunderbird 6. While they are a little dated nowadays, the special effects still stand the test of time. Especially the crash scenes in both of them. This was in the days before every filmmaker used computer generated effects. The effects in The Thunderbirds were all done with models, even the explosions. The best effects are still done with models. You can tell a computer effect a mile away.
You've inspired me to look these up! After the Michael Bay overload of these last few years, real movie effects sound like a welcome relief.

Phlibera, thanks for the interesting fact about Tom Cruise! I want to see Salt sometime next week. My city's got some really cool billboards up to advertise it.
Flora,
Please let me know what you think of The Thunderbirds when you get the chance. I should have mentioned that it was a puppet show but very well done. No strings ever showed and as I said, the model effects are extremely well done. The model for Thunderbird 3, which as a spaceship, was almost 6 feet tall. That one was used for launch shots. A smaller model was used for flight shots.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
libera36

Post by libera36 »

phlibera wrote:
Flora wrote:I just saw "Inception" for the second time in theaters! Has anyone else seen it yet? It's one of the craziest movies I've ever watched, but I adored it--Leo DiCaprio sure has come a long way from his Titanic days!
I've watched it twice in IMAX. Totally worth the ticket price I paid.

I've also watched Salt last week. The female Jason Bourne is born. They said the script was originally written for Tom Cruise. I think rewriting it for Angelina Jolie made it better.
I saw Inception this afternoon and is was amazing! Leo DiCaprio did an incredible job, as did the rest of the actors. It's not really the type of movie I would usually see in theaters, but I am so glad I did! Now to see Charlie St. Cloud...
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So what do you guys think: was the ending still part of a dream?
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

*obligatory spoiler alert*

For me, there's enough wobble to conclude that it was no longer a dream.

Edit: to say "no longer" instead of "still".
Last edited by phlibera on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

*more spoilers*

I read an interesting theory that because two people can't have the same totem, Cobb's real totem is his wedding ring, because he is wearing it only in the dream sequences. This would make the final scene real life--which I like to believe anyway! If not, there was that interesting scene in the bathroom where he dropped Mal's totem before he had a chance to spin it...that may be where the "dream" started?

I've been thinking about this way too much. Every time I dream now, I try to find my totem (even though I don't have one, haha).
paopao

Post by paopao »

what to expect in 2011? well, here's one of the movies i want to see next year: The Tree of Life by Terrence Mallick. if you're into Benjamin Button or drama in general (i'm a huge fan of this genre btw), then you might find this movie interesting.
[youtube][/youtube]
P.S the background music is composed by Patrick Cassidy (HANNIBAL)
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Aside from Deathly Hallows part 2, I'm looking forward to watching Pirates of the Caribbean 4 in 2011.
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

I have a lot of favorite movies, but here are some I really like...

1. Oliver! (1968) - Wonderful songs and a great story and cast
2. The Iron Giant (1999) - One of my favorite animated movies about the power of friendship
3. Duma (2005) - Carroll Ballard is one of my favorite directors. I also love The Black Stallion and Fly Away Home. This is a great story about a young South African boy who tries to return his pet cheetah to the wild.
4. Flushed Away, Chicken Run, and The Curse of the Were-rabbit - all the movies from Aardman studios are incredibly enjoyable and very well done. Wallace and Gromit are two of the best characters ever!
5. Fiddler on the Roof - Another great musical, with very good songs. Also Oklahoma, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
6. Babe (1995) - This wee pig was so cute and likeable! And hey Libera's Gloria came from this movie, so I had to include it.

I guess you can tell I like musicals, family movies and animation :)
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

My favorite movies in 2010 were "Toy Story 3" and "How to Tame Your Dragon". Both wonderful movies.

The Toy Story franchise is amazing! I remember 15 years ago it was very much hyped. It was at the time the first fully CGI animated film. So when it came there was already the awe of the technical aspect of making it. But then what I couldn't have expected was that there was a well-written story in it. The combination was potent. State of the art computer animation and well-thought out story with brilliant script. Of course after that, release after release Pixar had been dishing out the same winning combination movie after movie. Amazing. And it all started with Toy Story. Fittingly it's the only Pixar trilogy. So far, at least.

"How to Tame Your Dragon". This movie didn't make a lot in theaters. I myself missed watching it while it's in the cinemas. Nothing in the trailer that really grabbed my attention. Not the title, and not the story (it seemed). I thought, umm... this is definitely just a kid movie. And the poster, umm... from afar you can only make out "Dragon" and it's not really a poster that screams "watch me!" In fact it was dull and easily missed and dismissed. But when I finally saw it last Christmas eve, I totally loved the story. It was a brilliant animated film. I thought the marketing department truly dropped the ball on this one. Its trailer and poster didn't do the actual product justice. Simple story, with intricate plotting. It's a pixar-quality film without being a Pixar film.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Great to see the love for Pixar on here :) And I actually watched the Thunderbirds as a kid, and I'm only 30! :)

My favourite movies include:

Dances with wolves
Stand by me
Billy Elliot
Das weisse Band
Lord of the Rings
Titanic
Robin Hood - the 1938 version with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland - Technicolor spectacular! :D
Where the wild things are
Magnolia
The diving-bell and the butterfly
Des hommes et des dieux
Topsy-Turvy

I also like most movies by Ingmar Bergman and Andrej Tarkovsky.

As for nostalgia:
Disney classics like The Lion King, Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs, Bambi, The Great Mouse Detective etc.
The Never-ending Story
Karate Kid
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Speaking of "The Lion King", watching it in the cinemas with all my schoolmates (freshmen to seniors all 1300 of us) back in 1994 was an entirely different experience. The school booked a 3-screen cineplex and one morning we just walk, double pile, from our school to the theater, which was about 3 blocks away. It was the only event like it in our school during my time there and it was fun. We had fun. The movie itself of course was beautiful. Loved it so much that the weekend after that, some of my friends and I went to see it again. It was a wonderful movie, my absolute favorite among hand-drawn animated films to this day. And considering they don't do much hand-drawn animated films anymore, will probably be my favorite for life.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

phlibera wrote:Speaking of "The Lion King", watching it in the cinemas with all my schoolmates (freshmen to seniors all 1300 of us) back in 1994 was an entirely different experience. The school booked a 3-screen cineplex and one morning we just walk, double pile, from our school to the theater, which was about 3 blocks away. It was the only event like it in our school during my time there and it was fun. We had fun. The movie itself of course was beautiful. Loved it so much that the weekend after that, some of my friends and I went to see it again. It was a wonderful movie, my absolute favorite among hand-drawn animated films to this day. And considering they don't do much hand-drawn animated films anymore, will probably be my favorite for life.
I also went to see it twice in the theatres when it came out (I was fourteen at the time) :) And it is my favourite animation motion picture of all time too.

Speaking of hand-drawn, I find stop motion pictures to be even more impressive - a great example are the Aardman productions mentioned earlier, and the Tim Burton gem Corpse Bride.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above